nsum

Default Band saw question

I know it's been covered before but I just glanced through the posts since I
wasn't looking for one to buy.

I'm looking for a 14'' to 16" band saw in the $1000 range and would like
your suggestions and experences please.

I've looked at the Delta and Grizzly machines.

Thanks.

Dave

I've got the Jet 16" and I it works just fine for me. When I was
looking I focused mainly on 14" saws. I wanted more power for resawing
than most of the 14" saws have. Delta has a 1 1/2 HP 14" saw but is was
more money than the Jet 16". I'd also read of problems related to the
riser block on the 14" saws. I knew I wasn't too thrilled with that
business.

I don't have 220V in the shop so the Jet was a good choice for me. I
think if the 220 had been available I would have gone for a Mini Max
16". That's a bit more money than your $1000 but I think it might be
slightly nicer.

Still, I have no regrets and when I do get to have a shop with 220V,
I'll just rewire the motor I've got.

Phisherman

Can't go wrong with Delta. The 14" is very common. I wish I had a
tension release lever, but that adds $140 to the machine. I compared
the Jet and Delta side-by-side and the construction of the Delta is
beefier. Buy the "Band Saw Handbook" by Duginske.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:24:32 -0600, "nsum"
wrote:

I know it's been covered before but I just glanced through the posts since I
wasn't looking for one to buy.

I'm looking for a 14'' to 16" band saw in the $1000 range and would like
your suggestions and experences please.

I've looked at the Delta and Grizzly machines.

Thanks.

Pat Barber

Here is a MUCH cheaper solution:

http://www.highland-hardware.com/bro...ing-Crank.HTML

and you might as well get this also:

http://www.highland-hardware.com/bro...for-Delta.HTML

The difference is wonderful...and fast

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM