gator_garage_woodshop

Default Quality Bandsaw Blades?

Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

B a r r y

gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

I've had all kinds and price ranges of blades. I found that some of the
more expensive blades covered for my lack of tuning experience. I now
use $10-12 Olsen and BC Saw blades with great results.

Barry

joeD

"gator_garage_woodshop" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

My G0555 14" Ultimate bandsaw came yesterday also. I've been searching the
archives for a couple of weeks finding out everything I could about this
perticular bandsaw and what I would need to do to get set up proper and came
to the conclusion Timberwolf blades from http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
would be my best bet. Other ones mentioned often are Lenox and Olson. Check
google groups, you will find more then enough information there.

On a side note I found http://www.forrestblades.com/timberwolf_1.htm has
Timberwolf blades at a pretty decent price. Anyone know if these are the
same Timberwolfs that Suffolk sells?

Fly-by-Night CC

In article , "joeD"
wrote:

My G0555 14" Ultimate bandsaw came yesterday also. I've been searching the
archives for a couple of weeks finding out everything I could about this
perticular bandsaw and what I would need to do to get set up proper and came
to the conclusion Timberwolf blades from http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
would be my best bet. Other ones mentioned often are Lenox and Olson. Check
google groups, you will find more then enough information there.

I've really only used the Timberwolf blades - and the no-name cheapie
that came with my Delta saw plus a couple Woodcraft brand blades. I'm
very satisfied with the Timberwolf performance as well as the
ordering/receiving process. (Order by phone and generally receive by
USPS Priority Mail within 4 days or so.)

On a side note I found http://www.forrestblades.com/timberwolf_1.htm has
Timberwolf blades at a pretty decent price. Anyone know if these are the
same Timberwolfs that Suffolk sells?

Considering that 3D Saw Blades is merely a middleman to both Forrest
and Suffolk Machine (Timberwolf) they better be the same blades.
Additionally, 3D is charging more than direct from Suffolk. I happen to
have a receipt from a recent order from Suffolk and costs for the two
105" blades (1/4", 6 tooth & 3/8", 3 tooth) was about 25%-30% less going
direct than the prices listed on 3Ds site. (Both charge similar for
shipping - $6.70 for my order.)

Suffolk - 1-800-234-7297

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

Fly-by-Night CC

In article . com,
"gator_garage_woodshop" wrote:

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

First you need to decide what types of sawing you planning on doing:

Resawing thick (3", 6", 9") pieces?
Rough cutting green wood?
General purpose cutting in 1"-2" stock?
Curves with tight radii?

Once you've decided what's important, give Suffolk Machinery a call -
makers of Timberwolf blades - and the phone guy or gal will recommend
which of their blades will best serve your uses. They really are
knowledgeable and will direct you to the best product they have to suit
your needs - the cost differences between the different blade
configurations is only a few bucks, so they aren't out to sell you
something just to make more money.

The blade prices for a 14" saw with no riser run about $15.30 to $22,
with most in the $16.50-$17.50 range.

BTW, when I ordered a couple/few weeks back, they were running a
special: buy 3 blades get another free - I don't know how long that
promo was running, but it might be worth it to ask.

Suffolk Machinery - 1-800-234-7297

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
WD

On 8 Feb 2005 08:15:40 -0800, "gator_garage_woodshop"
wrote:

You might want to remember Grizzly's cool block holder guide, PN P1019005A,
in the event you want to replace ball bearing guide to a Block guide. Each block
guide cost $2.50 - two require. Further, Woodcraft's is having a sales on their
1/2" Olson cool guide blocks (Woodcraft's P/N 49H02) for $10.10.

I suggest you try Olson BS blade, instead of Timberwolf.

Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

WD

On 8 Feb 2005 08:15:40 -0800, "gator_garage_woodshop"
wrote:

Sorry, forgot to add, I have a bad experienced with Southfolk and I promised
never to buy from them again. Try Olson, you will not regret it.

Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

gator_garage_woodshop

Thanks very much for all the informative responses. I think I'll be
giving Suffolk a call soon. Their website was very informative. I'm
looking forward to trying out the Timberwolf blades.

Bob Bowles

Suffolk owner Art commented several years ago he "allowed" PS to sell
his blades at shows and more people are selling his blades. Prior to
that there was a thread here about an editor of a WW magazine that
touted HIGH tension on blades that resulted in repair shops getting
calls for bearing replacements. I'd just tried the Highland
Woodslicer that needed high tension and switched to Suffolk and
haven't looked back. Since that time Highland has another generation
of Woodslicer that gets high marks.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:56:24 -0500, "joeD" wrote:

"gator_garage_woodshop" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Tim, I'm sure no one agrees with me but I use Grizzly blades as I never
had a problem with them. I have the G1073 16" saw, 113" blades.Been
using this saw about 4 or 5 years, broke two blades so far. I sharpen
the blades with 4 teeth per inch or less, get a lot of milage out of
them. Very easy to do with a Dremel tool and chainsaw grinding wheel.
I use the 3/16" cylinder shaped wheel.
mike

gator_garage_woodshop

What's the advantage of using the block guides instead of the bearings?

Jim Bailey

Just as an aside - I stopped in Woodcraft Saturday and was looking at Band
Saws. The sales guy was talking about bearing guides and I made the comment
"don't most guys take those off and put on blocks ?".

He looked at me as if I'd just farted in front of him and said "No ! - it's
just the opposite ! No one likes, or wants to use blocks when they can have
bearings - bearings are a LOT better than blocks"

I'm not a Band Saw guy (yet) so I din't argue with him. Just seems like I've
heard differently here.

jim

wrote:

[...]

David

Blocks work better for narrow blades (1/4"). Imagine the teeth of a 1/4
blade hitting the bearings. Not a good thing; you'll instantly dull
your blade.

Dave

gator_garage_woodshop wrote:
What's the advantage of using the block guides instead of the bearings?

Nova

gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

What's the advantage of using the block guides instead of the bearings?

When I ordered my Grizzly G1019 a number of years ago I also ordered their
ball bearing guides. The ball bearing guides were so poorly made the
wouldn't adjust to within an 1/8" of the blade. There was so much slop
they were useless. I went back to the block guides and picked up a set of
"Cool Blocks".

Hopefully Grizzly's quality control on their ball bearing guides have
improved since I ordered mine.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

WD

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:54:47 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

They are sold in pairs and you need two pairs.
When you call Grizzly, just give them the part number P1019005A.

Wouldn't you need 4 of the Block holders (assuming you replace the lower
bearings as well) or are they sold in pairs?
Cheers,
cc

WD

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:04:04 -0500, Nova wrote:

When I ordered my Grizzly G1019 a number of years ago I also ordered their
ball bearing guides. The ball bearing guides were so poorly made the
wouldn't adjust to within an 1/8" of the blade. There was so much slop
they were useless. I went back to the block guides and picked up a set of
"Cool Blocks".

You might be interested to know Woodcraft is having a sales now for their
Olsen's Cool Block now. I bought two sets (8 pcs).

Hopefully Grizzly's quality control on their ball bearing guides have
improved since I ordered mine.

John Carlson

wrote:

Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Olsen for day to day use. Best bang for the buck that I've found.
Highland Hardware Woodslicer for critical resaw use. Sharp and
incredibly smooth, but pricey.

(Timberwolf, IMO, is overrated and overpriced.)

Published e-mail address is for spam collection only.
If e-mailing me, use jc631 at optonline dot net

-- jc
Mark Howell

"B a r r y" wrote in message
. com...
gator_garage_woodshop wrote:

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

I've had all kinds and price ranges of blades. I found that some of the
more expensive blades covered for my lack of tuning experience. I now
use $10-12 Olsen and BC Saw blades with great results.

Barry

Speaking of BC saw blades, there is a great article in Dec2004 FWW
magazine about bandsaw tips. The author mentions that he uses the
regular carbon blades that BC sells. They're made by Starrett, so you
know the quality is there.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article .com,
"gator_garage_woodshop" wrote:

What's the advantage of using the block guides instead of the bearings?

Guide blocks have an added advantage over roller bearings when you cut
green wood. The wet dust will get packed onto the blade and the bearing
surfaces - makes for a loud, rumpety experience. Then you've got to
scrape the blade and bearings clean.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
B a r r y

Mark Howell wrote:

Speaking of BC saw blades, there is a great article in Dec2004 FWW
magazine about bandsaw tips. The author mentions that he uses the
regular carbon blades that BC sells. They're made by Starrett, so you
know the quality is there.

Right! *And*, they're like $10 each. G

Barry

WD

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:35:29 -0500, John Carlson wrote:

Olsen for day to day use. Best bang for the buck that I've found.
Highland Hardware Woodslicer for critical resaw use. Sharp and
incredibly smooth, but pricey.

(Timberwolf, IMO, is overrated and overpriced.)

Timberwolf is overpriced trash!

Will

I've bought a few of the industrial and Silicon blades - so far so good.
Plus good advice on blade choices and saw set up.

http://www.tufftooth.com/

The owner works the trade shows in Canada on a regular basis.

I am using the King industrial bandsaw KC-1433FX - with bearing guides.
Probably a close match to your saw.

gator_garage_woodshop wrote:
Hi all. First post here. After working in my dad's commercial cabinet
shop for 12 years growing up, I'm now out on my own and putting
together my own garage workshop for my amusement.

My new Grizzly 14" bandsaw arrived yesterday, and I'm wondering what
brand of blades I should buy. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't
mind paying for quality if it will serve me well.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

--
Will