Chris

Default Cleaning cast iron saw deck

I left my Ridgid table saw in for repairs, the arbor was not straight, blade
wobble. Anyway when I picked it up the top was gunked up, like they put
something on top that leaked. So I was thinking of sanding it and then
applying a car wax. IS that the way to clean & protect (from rust)?

Ray

Don't use car wax. You need a wax that is silicone free because the
silicone can interfere with a lot of finishes. Look for furniture
paste wax or a spray product for rust prevention.

I wouldn't sand it either. Try a light oil like WD40 and a scotch
brite pad or snatch one of your wifes sponges with the scrubber on the
back.

FriscoSoxFan

If they gunked it up, why shouldn't they fix it?

dzine

Just use candlewax for all those jobs. Planes, slides on drills etc.

Pat Barber

1. WD-40 and many minutes of scrubbing using a jointer
push block with several grades of 3M pads....

2. Clean with paper towels

3. Goto to step 1.

Do this until the top is shiny and finish with TopCote.

Chris wrote:

I left my Ridgid table saw in for repairs, the arbor was not straight, blade
wobble. Anyway when I picked it up the top was gunked up, like they put
something on top that leaked. So I was thinking of sanding it and then
applying a car wax. IS that the way to clean & protect (from rust)?

Donnie Vazquez

Chris wrote:
I left my Ridgid table saw in for repairs, the arbor was not straight, blade
wobble. Anyway when I picked it up the top was gunked up, like they put
something on top that leaked. So I was thinking of sanding it and then
applying a car wax. IS that the way to clean & protect (from rust)?

I use WD-40, a green Scotchbrite pad and an old B&D ROS (sander). Then
wipe it clean with laquer thinner and apply paste wax or Topkote.

--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Lew Hodgett

"Pat Barber" writes:

1. WD-40 and many minutes of scrubbing using a jointer
push block with several grades of 3M pads....

Works for me except I'm lazy.

I remove the table insert then shoot with WD40, grab my 6" ROS /w/ 150 grit
and have at it. THe rest is the same.

2. Clean with paper towels

3. Goto to step 1.

Do this until the top is shiny and finish with TopCote.

Lew

Rob Mills

"Chris" wrote in message

to clean & protect (from rust)

I use an automotive buffer and buffing compound to clean it up then apply a
good coat of paste wax. RM~

Ray

Yep I agree, use candlewax.
I would clean the table with turps and steelwooll with a lot of elbogrease.

Then I mix up candle wax and turps, and rub it in with a cloth. I do this
around every six months.
My table saw sits in a shed with only three walls the fourth side is open,
no door. And the table saw, bandsaw tables show no sign of rust.

I live on the east coast of Australia where the humidity is usually high
(70% to 90%).

I find that I don't have any problems from the candle wax on my work.

--
Ray

Remove NOSPAM
"dzine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just use candlewax for all those jobs. Planes, slides on drills etc.