David Ford

Default Dealing with flame birch tear out

hello all,

I've mostly work with pine until now.

what is the secret to dealing with flame birch tear-out?

I've got a friend using his milling machine to surface some pieces for
me right now and seems like everything we do causes tear-out (except
maybe sanding).

I tried some water-based stain on a test piece tonight. It "furred up"
on me. I let it dry then took a couple of swipes with some fine
sandpaper and it was smoother again. Would an oil-based stain do the
same thing?

If I set up a router/jointer, would that also cause tear-out? What
about a real jointer, or a planer?

Is there a way to treat the wood after staining that will harden the
soft areas?

Also, I keep seeing the term "snipe" associated with planers, and maybe
even jointers. What is this?

David

George

"David Ford" wrote in message
ups.com...
hello all,

I've mostly work with pine until now.

what is the secret to dealing with flame birch tear-out?

I've got a friend using his milling machine to surface some pieces for
me right now and seems like everything we do causes tear-out (except
maybe sanding).

I tried some water-based stain on a test piece tonight. It "furred up"
on me. I let it dry then took a couple of swipes with some fine
sandpaper and it was smoother again. Would an oil-based stain do the
same thing?

If I set up a router/jointer, would that also cause tear-out? What
about a real jointer, or a planer?

Is there a way to treat the wood after staining that will harden the
soft areas?

Also, I keep seeing the term "snipe" associated with planers, and maybe
even jointers. What is this?

Curly woods respond best to high cutting angles - York pitch planes or
scrapers - or low and skewed plane angles. Of those who use machines, some
wet the surface of the wood with alcohol to soften the fiber before
machining.

It's natural for wood fiber to expand with water. You've pressed some of
the fiber down in processing, and now it stands back up - to be cut off with
some 320. Rarely stands up much again. Most will do a fiber set after the
second to final grit, wiping and letting the surface dry before sanding with
the finest. Helps a lot.

Snipe is a condition caused by a tip in the board being machined, digging an
image of the cutterhead into the wood. Hold the wood firmly to the table
when feeding or bearing off your planer (might even lift a bit) and it
shouldn't be a problem. With a jointer it's normally an off-feed table set
too low.