Chris

Default Delta tenon jig

I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris" wrote in message
I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They
recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

I have the 34-183 model. Does a fine job and was good out of the box. I
did not experience any of the problems in the reviews. If I had it to do
over again, I'd buy the nearly identical Woodcraft model for $59.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Mark Howell

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Chris" wrote in message
I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They
recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

I have the 34-183 model. Does a fine job and was good out of the box. I
did not experience any of the problems in the reviews. If I had it to do
over again, I'd buy the nearly identical Woodcraft model for $59.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I have a 34-183, collecting dust. I found a quicker, more precise
way of doing tenons. And I don't like the cast iron base scratching
the cast iron table.

Mike S.

I have the Woodcraft jig, it's about half the price of the Delta and Jet.

--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm
"Chris" wrote in message
I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They
recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

Phisherman

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:38:55 -0500, "Chris"
wrote:

I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

No, but I built my own and it works exceptionally well. Used a plan
from ShopNotes. It is a little on the heavy side, but that's a good
thing for a tenoning jig.

Dave Jackson

I have the 34-184 , bought several years ago. The only thing I had a
problem with is the 3 little set screws in the guide bar that are used to
adjust the jig to fit in the miter slot. They were stripped from the
factory and had to be changed. Otherwise, jig works very well and I'd
recommend it. --dave

wrote:

I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They
recommended
the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but all the reviews
were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

No, but I built my own and it works exceptionally well. Used a plan
from ShopNotes. It is a little on the heavy side, but that's a good
thing for a tenoning jig.

Rob Mitchell

If you only want to hold the workpiece at 90 degrees to the table
(probably 99% of the time) then shopbuilt is a pretty simple way to go.
FWW, and Popular woodworking have both had pictures and articles
recently of ones that straddle the fence.

Bob Bowles

FWW had an article about Frank Klausz making slip joint and it had a
photo of his jig for making them. I made one with scrap ply and it
does a great job.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:36 -0500, Rob Mitchell
wrote:

If you only want to hold the workpiece at 90 degrees to the table
(probably 99% of the time) then shopbuilt is a pretty simple way to go.
FWW, and Popular woodworking have both had pictures and articles
recently of ones that straddle the fence.

Michael Burton

Chris wrote in :

I read a review of tenon jigs in Fine woodworking recently. They
recommended the Delta 34-184.So I went to Amazon ready to order, but
all the reviews were very bad. Anyone had any experience with it?

thanks
Chris

I have one and never use it. It is a pain to get set up. I use my
router table to cut tenons with a large hinge mortising bit. I can sneak up
on a great fit pretty easily and then cut the entire tenon with only one
setting & half the number of passes past the blade as on a table saw. They
seem to be a waste of time and money from my viewpoint.

--
Michael Burton
Thunderbird Hardwoods

mhburton at tbird-hardwoods dot com
Duane Bozarth

Michael Burton wrote:
router table to cut tenons ... with only one
setting & half the number of passes past the blade as on a table saw. ...

It only takes two cuts each side using the table saw assuming it's not
longer than the blade height...for only one or two it typically isn't
much savings, granted, but for four or more I almost always use it.

Of course, I have one of the old heavy cast iron ones, not the new
cheaper versions. Delta still makes it but it's roughly $300 list...

Lawrence L'Hote

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Michael Burton wrote:
router table to cut tenons ... with only one
setting & half the number of passes past the blade as on a table saw. ...

It only takes two cuts each side using the table saw assuming it's not
longer than the blade height...for only one or two it typically isn't
much savings, granted, but for four or more I almost always use it.

Of course, I have one of the old heavy cast iron ones, not the new
cheaper versions. Delta still makes it but it's roughly $300 list...

I have one of those Delta beasts and have never been able to use it because
it doesn't work on my left tilt Unisaw. I should sell it, I suppose, but who
in their RIGHT mind would want such a thing? (notice TIC).
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO