Bob G.

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:55:01 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
.. .

bad for you maybe but not for me.

Go ahead... rub it in.

I have not had this problem unless my system
is slowing down and needs a reboot. this happens more often using outlook

and
IE. but a reboot every few days keeps xp running ok.
so it sounds like there is a problem with your computer.
when both are running fast 1.0 blows away IE every time.

The first thing I thought of was that it had to be something with my laptop,
but it's the only program that behaves that way. I've thought about
removing it and re-installing it to see if that made any difference, but
just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe...

Mike.... I think you "May" have a computer problem.. I run Firefox
on 5 different computers...in the house, garage and woodshop ..using
XP home, 2000 NT and "Me" ... as operating systems.

Firefox is faster then IE on every single one of them.... all but one
computer connects via a wireless network and the shop is 200 foot from
the AP...and I do not get a Great signal...still response is almost in
the blink of an eye...

Bob Griffiths.
Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I have no idea why these programs won't work with AOL 9.0, or whether it's
something I'm doing. I'd say the latter is most likely.

They will, and I would say the latter is the case.

AOL will actually give you a tcp/ip connection to the Internet itself, so,
once you successfully log onto AOL, your computer is actually _on_ the
Internet. (See the *tip below for more on that.) you should be able to
minimize AOL, then use ANY program that will converse in Internet protocols.
(nntp, ftp, http(browser)), etc to access a server that speaks that Internet
protocol ... In your case, an "nntp server".

IOW, in your current quest to find a news server you can, fireup AOL as your
"on-ramp" to the Internet, then once connected, minimize it and FORGET
about AOL, its logins and its passwords and go to 1 below.

You goal is to get Usenet access, so first understand a couple of simple
concepts (ALL the below is completely independent of, and has nothing
whatsoever to do with, how you connected to the Internet (AOL in your
case)):

1. You must have access to an (usenet news) "nntp" server - free or pay, and
you must know:

1a. Its Internet "address", either by ip address, or by host/machine
name)
("122.123.123.123" or "news.giganews.com" are examples of both)

1b. and, unless it is an "anonymous" free service, you normally must
have a login and password to connect.

2. You must also have a program that will speak to the nntp server and allow
you to read and post (Agent, OE, etc.), and you must configure that program
to both:

2a. Go to the Internet address of the nntp server and attempt to
connect

2b Provide whatever login and password are required by that nntp
server to connect.

It appears, from what you've written, that you are most likely stumbling on
2 above. That should be fairly easy to suss out once you understand the
above. and have the three pieces of information that you need to access, and
connect to the server.

Hope this just doesn't confuse the issue further.

*tip

A tip to tell if you do indeed have an ACTIVE connection to the Internet. In
most current versions of Windows, and after connection with AOL and
minimizing it:

Click on the "Start Menu" and select "Run."
Type "cmd" in the dialog box and click "OK" or press Enter.

A command prompt will then appear that looks similar to an MS-DOS prompt.
Type in "ipconfig" (without the ") and press Enter.

If an IP address that looks similar to 123.123.123.123 is returned on the
screen, you should have an active connection to the Internet and all
programs that use the various tcp/ip Internet protocols should be working.

/tip

There will be some exceptions to this, but it AOL programs are working, then
that will further confirm that you are indeed connected.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Nova

Mike Marlow wrote:

Argh! The evidence is becoming overwhelming. I may not be able to escape
reloading it. All of my machines run 2000 and as easy as it would be to do,
can you believe I've not gone to the other machines to see if they act the
same way? Lazy is hard at work here.

Before reinstalling the OS try running one of the spyware removal tools such as
Lavasoft's "AdAware" ( http://www.lavasoft.com/ ) or Spybot's "Search & Destroy"
( http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html ). I've recommended the software to many
of my customers having problems similar to yours and they solved the problem I
run both of them weekly on my home machines.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:02:08 -0500, Nova
wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:

Argh! The evidence is becoming overwhelming. I may not be able to escape
reloading it. All of my machines run 2000 and as easy as it would be to do,
can you believe I've not gone to the other machines to see if they act the
same way? Lazy is hard at work here.

Before reinstalling the OS try running one of the spyware removal tools such as
Lavasoft's "AdAware" ( http://www.lavasoft.com/ ) or Spybot's "Search & Destroy"
( http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html ). I've recommended the software to many
of my customers having problems similar to yours and they solved the problem I
run both of them weekly on my home machines.

I'll second that, except I'd suggest running both AdAware and Spybot.
They don't catch the same things.

Last week I installed AdAware on my father's computer. He's been
running Spybot regularly, but his computer was slower than it should
have been. AdAware found 134 files of bad stuff on his system.

Made a big difference in performance.

--RC
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

-- Suzie B
Mike Marlow

"Nova" wrote in message
Mike Marlow wrote:

Argh! The evidence is becoming overwhelming. I may not be able to

escape
reloading it. All of my machines run 2000 and as easy as it would be to

do,
can you believe I've not gone to the other machines to see if they act

the
same way? Lazy is hard at work here.

Before reinstalling the OS try running one of the spyware removal tools

such as
Lavasoft's "AdAware" ( http://www.lavasoft.com/ ) or Spybot's "Search &

Destroy"
( http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html ). I've recommended the software

to many
of my customers having problems similar to yours and they solved the

problem I
run both of them weekly on my home machines.

No - I meant I'm going to uninstall and reload Firefox. Spyware and Adware
are checked at least weekly on all my machines. I use both Search and
Destroy and AdAware. Great stuff. Just completed a defrag only a couple of
weeks ago as well, so I don't think the problem lies with my PC per se, but
rather with the load of Firefox on it.

--

-Mike-