Rob

260. No clue
261. Notary public stamp

Similar, but it's not a notary stamp

262. Brick mortar jointer
263. An old snake bite kit.
264. Masonry or concrete nail.
265. Lathe cut-off tool holder.

These are all correct. Several people have correctly named the masonry
nail, but nobody has yet included the word that describes the grooves on it.

R.H.

I think I posted this set too early in the morning, I made a typo in the
title and forgot to mention that answers were also posted for the previous
set.

And since a number of people have already replied correctly on number 263, I
added a page in which I've provided a little more info on the snake bite
kit, including photos of some of the instructions:

http://pzphotosan50.blogspot.com/

Rob

Jim C Roberts

Darn! 6 hours after the Original post are there are already a ton of
nerve to post to the last one,(only got about half of them right) and yet
I'm gonna try it again.

260. No clue

261. A seal press, notary I believe

262. Masonry tool, maybe called a pointing tool

263. a kit of some kind, already been answered.

264. Masonry nail

265. looks suspiciously like a tool holder for a lathe

OK, now to check out the other replies and see how I did.

Thanks RH for these posts, they are alot of fun.

Jim

R.H.

"Jim C Roberts" jimnthem_AT_comcast_DOT_net wrote in message
Darn! 6 hours after the Original post are there are already a ton of

the
nerve to post to the last one,(only got about half of them right) and yet
I'm gonna try it again.

260. No clue

261. A seal press, notary I believe

262. Masonry tool, maybe called a pointing tool

263. a kit of some kind, already been answered.

264. Masonry nail

265. looks suspiciously like a tool holder for a lathe

All correct except for the inclusion of the word notary, as you have
probably read in other replies.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I managed to hit your list announcement *before* seeing
anybody's answers first, so I'll have a try at all of them before I read
on.

And since I asked about stats of where the answers come from,
I'll state that I am reading and replying in rec.crafts.metalworking.

260) Not really sure. It bayonets onto a shaft, which may rotate
(CW only) or may also reciprocate as well (or only).

At a first guess, it is either the cutter bar from some kind of
nibbler, or is used to tie string or cord around something.

261) A paper stamp -- for either pressing a notary's seal into a
document being certified, or as an "ex libris" kind of stamp for
books. Perhaps private, perhaps a library. To tell, we would
need to stamp it into a blank sheet of paper and examine what ws
produced. It uses no ink, and works by adding visible texture
to the paper. (Hard to alter a signature over which it has been
operated.)

262) Possibly used for scooping dry chemicals and shaking little
amounts into the pan of a balance (usually on a piece of filter
paper) to measure out a precise amount.

Maybe a "spoon" for melting wax to seal accordion reed plates to
the reedboxes.

Maybe a device for guiding the gasket over a replacement
windshield.

263) A snake-bite kit.

264) A concrete nail.

265) A lathe toolholder for a parting tool. It fits into a
so-called "lantern style" toolpost. The parting blade is placed
in the groove on the side, and held by the half-round headed
bolt drawn in by the nut on the other side.

It looks as though it was made by Armstrong -- one of the
long-time makers of such holders.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. I managed to hit your list announcement *before* seeing
anybody's answers first, so I'll have a try at all of them before I read
on.

And since I asked about stats of where the answers come from,
I'll state that I am reading and replying in rec.crafts.metalworking.

260) Not really sure. It bayonets onto a shaft, which may rotate
(CW only) or may also reciprocate as well (or only).

At a first guess, it is either the cutter bar from some kind of
nibbler, or is used to tie string or cord around something.

Your are correct in that it's a cutter.

261) A paper stamp -- for either pressing a notary's seal into a
document being certified, or as an "ex libris" kind of stamp for
books. Perhaps private, perhaps a library. To tell, we would
need to stamp it into a blank sheet of paper and examine what ws
produced. It uses no ink, and works by adding visible texture
to the paper. (Hard to alter a signature over which it has been
operated.)

I'll put a photo of an embossed sheet of paper in the answer page to this
set. You've probably read in other posts that this one for embossing books.

262) Possibly used for scooping dry chemicals and shaking little
amounts into the pan of a balance (usually on a piece of filter
paper) to measure out a precise amount.

Maybe a "spoon" for melting wax to seal accordion reed plates to
the reedboxes.

Maybe a device for guiding the gasket over a replacement
windshield.

None of these.

263) A snake-bite kit.

264) A concrete nail.

265) A lathe toolholder for a parting tool. It fits into a
so-called "lantern style" toolpost. The parting blade is placed
in the groove on the side, and held by the half-round headed
bolt drawn in by the nut on the other side.

It looks as though it was made by Armstrong -- one of the
long-time makers of such holders.

The last three are correct.

Mark & Juanita

#261: Imprinter; used for imprinting seals such as notaries or other seals

#264: Decorative nail

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

#261: Imprinter; used for imprinting seals such as notaries or other seals

Correct

#264: Decorative nail

Half right, it's a nail but the grooves are probably to help it penetrate
concrete. These are also supposedly made of harder steel than regular
nails.

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 19:09:47 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

.... snip

#264: Decorative nail

Half right, it's a nail but the grooves are probably to help it penetrate
concrete. These are also supposedly made of harder steel than regular
nails.

That's interesting. I've got some of these in the shop (the former owner
left them). What struck me as different about them is that they feel very
"light". Guess I'll have to try pounding some into conrete and see what
happens.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

More photos have just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

260. Iron Leech
261. Document embellisher
262. Canyon carving tool
263. My mom's arthritis pill
264. Nail from a wall in a corduroy factory
265. Device to remove work pieces from lathe centers very rapidly

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Anthony VanCampen

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:32:33 +0000, R.H. wrote:
261 Embossing press for seals

262 Mason's pointing tool

263 Snake bite kit

264 Masonry nail

265 Bit Holder for metal lathe

R.H.

"Anthony VanCampen" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:32:33 +0000, R.H. wrote:
261 Embossing press for seals

262 Mason's pointing tool

263 Snake bite kit

264 Masonry nail

265 Bit Holder for metal lathe

All correct, I'm going to have to try and make the next set more
challenging, hopefully I'll have some luck finding some interesting stuff at
the flea market tomorrow.