Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): AOL dumping newsgroups (export from QB)

writes:

On the contrary. The only things you can export from the "export"
menu are lists and addresses.

You are so mistaken!

Did you miss the part about me doing this at work?

On a regular basis, I export the customer list (complete with notes as
well as other basic information such as phone numbers, customer type,
etc.) and the items list (product list) with both customer and vendor
information. Note: On a regular basis. Just this morning, I did a new
export from our customer base, then imported it into a FileMaker database
which I use for various projects and have layouts for various applications
(as in "uses"). Those two are regular export/imports I do regularly
because I see no reason to double-enter anything that can be done once and
utilize export/import; this way, we make the changes in QuickBooks and
update the database used outside the program as needed. There are sixteen
lists that can be exported, including the chart of accounts, not all of
which I see any practical reason to export.

If all you are exporting are lists and addresses, you are seriously under
using the program, rather like using a table saw to cut two by fours and
nothing else.

As I said in my earlier post, if anyone wants directions for
exporting/importing, I will email them, complete with images.

QuickBooks exports in tabbed text, in seconds (or second!). Any program
that will import tabbed text will import that same data.

Perhaps in the future, you might consider giving others credit for knowing
their business.

Oh, and your being a programmer means nothing to me for the practical
working world. Not all programmers are capable of doing practical
day-to-day work though they are very good at creating programs for others
to do that work.

We all have our expertise. Yours, in this case, is *not* familiarity with
the attributes of exporting from QuickBooks. You probably know more about
woodworking than me (as do most of those here), but I apparently know much
more about QuickBooks than you, and I suspect that to be true about many
other computer programs as well. Perhaps it's prudent not to be so quick
to try to make others look "dumb" so you can feel better about yourself.
You have a lot of good attributes which has been clearly shown here. So
do the rest of us.

Sorry.

Glenna

L. G. Almighty

Oh, Miss "holier than thou", for all your purported expertise at QuickBooks,
you fail miserably at *reading* PLAIN ENGLISH.

*EVERYTHING* you brag about 'exporting' _is_ a QuickBooks "list" of one type
or another.

Which =is= EXACTLY what the prior poster said *COULD* be exported.
Quoting: "the only things you can export from the 'export' menu are
LISTS..." Note well that he did *NOT* say "lists *OF* addresses" (which
appears to be what you -thought- was said -- it's the only way the rest of
your diatribe comes out as remotely rational.)

What _cannot_ be exported is 'TRANSACTION' data. This is *not* a 'list'.
This is *NOT* on the 'export' menu.

I defy you to "export" _transaction_ data. e.g. 'sales invoices', 'payments
received', 'checks written', 'purchases invoices', etc., etc.

INTUIT, itself, will tell you, "It _cannot_ be done" from within QuickBooks.
(I, myself, have *had* that precise discussion with Intuit, _repeatedly_,
including talking with their Vice President of Development, himself, about
the need for that capability. no dice.)

All your nose-in-the-air pontificating about the things you do 'on a regular
basis, at work', while "technically accurate, is totally irrelevant to the
question at hand, and thus utterly useless." Hey! Congratulations, you're
fully qualified to work for MicroSoft, in their Tech. Support department.

BTW, *everything* that QuickBooks "allows" you to export DOES have actual
real-world use. Including the "chart of accounts". If you have another
system that _generates_ transaction data -- for QuickBooks 'import' -- it
is *critical* that that system 'know' what the accounts are in order for
the transaction data to be posted properly.

There is an old Persian Proverb about "Those who know not, and know not *that*
they know not ...", that I won't bother to quote in full. Suffice it to say
that you _have_ demonstrated, conclusively, that you "don't know what you don't
know", and in front of world-wide audience, to boot.

In *YOUR*OWN*WORDS*:

Perhaps in the future, you might consider giving others credit for knowing
their business.

Perhaps it's prudent not to be so quick to try to make others look "dumb"
so you can feel better about yourself.

We all have our expertise. Yours, in this case, is *not* familiarity with
the attributes of exporting from QuickBooks.

It's a shame that *YOU*, Miss Smarty-pants, couldn't follow the "advice" you
were so quick to admonish others with.

It is said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt."

One thing is sure, you _did_ 'remove all doubt'.

P.S.: You *do* owe the prior poster an apology.

In article fc.003d094101e3467c3b9aca00fbbdb2a5.1e346b8@pmug. org,
Glenna Rose wrote:
writes:

[...]

BobS

Now if you only posted it to the right ng....