Michael Hastings

Default What Stacked Dado Size?

I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size
stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This is
driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

Thanks

--
Michael Hastings
1 Thess 4:11 ... make it your ambition to lead a quiet life
Jim

"Michael Hastings" & wrote in message
I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size
stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This is
driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

All three sizes will remove fingers with ease; none are "safe". I have
always used an 8 inch dado because it can make a deeper cut.
Jim

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Hastings" & wrote in message
I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size
stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This is
driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

Thanks

--

According to the folks at Ridge Carbide, a 1.5 hp should be able to handle
an 8" OK. I have one on my saw and it works well. The 6" are meant for the

Michael Hastings

According to the folks at Ridge Carbide, a 1.5 hp should be able to
handle an 8" OK. I have one on my saw and it works well. The 6" are
meant for the lower powered saws, like the benchtops. Of course I'm
talking about a real 1.5 hp, not the Craftsman 6.8 HP with Dynaglide
transmission and convertible hardtop.

It has a Dayton 1.5 HP 12 amp TFEC motor.

--
Michael Hastings
1 Thess 4:11 ... make it your ambition to lead a quiet life
and attend to your own business and work with your hands...
Woodworking Approved By God
Highland Pairos

I just recently finished a project on which I used my father's Freud 6" dado
and really liked it. Therefore I am considering getting one. What
situations do need the additional capacity of an 8"? Have you had projects
where you needed it and if so, what were they?

SteveP.

"Jim" wrote in message
. com...

"Michael Hastings" & wrote in message
I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size
stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This
is
driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

All three sizes will remove fingers with ease; none are "safe". I have
always used an 8 inch dado because it can make a deeper cut.
Jim

Joe C.

Steve,

You might find the depth of cut limited somewhat if you try to use a 6" with
a 3/4" thick tablesaw sled.

YMMV,

JC

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I just recently finished a project on which I used my father's Freud 6"

dado
and really liked it. Therefore I am considering getting one. What
situations do need the additional capacity of an 8"? Have you had

projects
where you needed it and if so, what were they?

SteveP.

"Jim" wrote in message
. com...

"Michael Hastings" & wrote in message
I have an older Sears 10" table saw (1940s-50s) (113.27520). What size
stacked dado blade is safest to use with this saw - 6", 7" or 8"? This
is
driven by a 1-1/2 HP motor.

All three sizes will remove fingers with ease; none are "safe". I have
always used an 8 inch dado because it can make a deeper cut.
Jim

Highland Pairos

AHHHHH I hadn't thought about the prescence of a sled. Seeing as how that
will be one of the first things to build when the new saw arrives, I am glad
you mentioned it.

SteveP.

"Joe C." wrote in message
Steve,

You might find the depth of cut limited somewhat if you try to use a 6"
with
a 3/4" thick tablesaw sled.

YMMV,

JC

"Highland Pairos" wrote in message
I just recently finished a project on which I used my father's Freud 6"

dado
and really liked it. Therefore I am considering getting one. What
situations do need the additional capacity of an 8"? Have you had

projects
where you needed it and if so, what were they?

SteveP.

. com...