Junkyard Engineer

Default Finishing equipment question

I've made a couple of furniture and applied stain and polyurethane with
brushes. After 5 coats of poly, at some places, there's still some marks
from the brush (but only I knows where...). Anyway I tried the new poly in
spray can and I must say that the finish is perfect.

So I wonder if I should consider buying a spray gun to apply my poly and if
so, what special thing I should look into (equipment and space)

JGS

Hi JE,
If you go with a waterborne poly it makes things much simpler as it is not
flammable. I spray, mainly the Fuhr line, with my HVLP unit all the time in my
basement shop while wearing a proper fitting paint grade respirator. JG

Junkyard Engineer wrote:

I've made a couple of furniture and applied stain and polyurethane with
brushes. After 5 coats of poly, at some places, there's still some marks
from the brush (but only I knows where...). Anyway I tried the new poly in
spray can and I must say that the finish is perfect.

So I wonder if I should consider buying a spray gun to apply my poly and if
so, what special thing I should look into (equipment and space)

David

Poly can easily be sprayed with an HVLP, but keep in mind it's MESSY.
The overspray is STICKY. You might try a high quality water borne poly
and see how you like that. Check out Enduro Poly. You can add a
Crosslinker to improve water, abrasion, and hemical resistance

http://www.compliantspraysystems.com...t_products.htm

Dave