Dave in Indy

Default Ideas on how to do this - Puzzle Joint

www.ilovewood.com/ puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

alexy

"Dave in Indy" wrote:

puzzlejointtwo.jpg

Saw at 45degrees to surface of wood.

Or equivalently, get stock 1.414 times as wide as you want, cut
regular dovetails in it, then bevel rip.

Hard to describe in words. Imagine the top piece missing. The
dovetails in the bottom piece will run from the front surface to one
of the side surfaces, and from the back surface to the other side
surface.
Guess who

On 26 Jan 2005 08:37:18 -0800, "Dave in Indy"
wrote:

www.ilovewood.com/ puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

What's the full URL? I see an advertising site, but no puzzle joint.

wrote:

www.ilovewood.com/ puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

What's the full URL? I see an advertising site, but no puzzle joint.

he had a space in the url. it's:
http://www.ilovewood.com/puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Dan

alexy wrote in news:1bifv0dae0einfor9unlrnb4qiqrif74l2@
4ax.com:

Saw at 45degrees to surface of wood.

Or equivalently, get stock 1.414 times as wide as you want, cut
regular dovetails in it, then bevel rip.

Hard to describe in words. Imagine the top piece missing. The
dovetails in the bottom piece will run from the front surface to one
of the side surfaces, and from the back surface to the other side
surface.

AH! Okay, now I think I get it. That's really two sliding dovetails there,
not four "regular" ones. The light colored wood has two slots and three
pins, and the middle pin goes from corner to corner. And the two pieces
slide together, starting at one corner.

Hunh. Cute.

charlie b

wrote:

www.ilovewood.com/ puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

What's the full URL? I see an advertising site, but no puzzle joint.

try removing the blank between the "/" and the "p" in puzzle.
GrayBeardPhil

Roy Underhill's PBS TV program Wood Wright's Shop has done that puzzle.
I must have seen the re-runs 15 to 20 times

http://www.pbs.org/wws/

dove tails inside are connected at 45 degrees. Slides out over corner.
The reason it is a puzzle for adults is the expectation that dove tails come
apart from the face of the wood. Children, without the life experience
and expectation will try to take the puzzle apart by applying force in many
directions, including from one corner across to the opposite corner which
will succeed.

I know this is not clear, but you have to seen the TV show, and you will
understand.

Phil.

"Dave in Indy" wrote in message
oups.com...
www.ilovewood.com/ puzzlejointtwo.jpg
Curious if anyone knows how can a joint like this be done?

Wolfgang Jordan

Dan wrote:

AH! Okay, now I think I get it. That's really two sliding dovetails there,
not four "regular" ones. The light colored wood has two slots and three
pins, and the middle pin goes from corner to corner. And the two pieces
slide together, starting at one corner.

Here's a good site showing the details (even if you don't speak German).

Wolfgang
--
"Holzbearbeitung mit Handwerkzeugen": http://www.holzwerken.de
Forum Handwerkzeuge: