ddinc

Default Lapping chisels

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:24 -0500, "ddinc" wrote:

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

I use whatever it takes.

once one is in good working shape, a few strokes with a fine white
arkansas stone does it.

if I do some major work on the bevel, or if it's fresh from the yard
sale but not too bad, I'll generally work it over with the 100 grit
diamond stone

I have one really great (and really abused) chisel that has seen the
flat of my grinding wheel for close to an hour so far, and likely has
about as much to go.
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:24 -0500, "ddinc" wrote:

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

Buying flat chisels in the first place. This has to be my least
favourite job for most-boring and least-rewarding.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:45:36 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:40:24 -0500, "ddinc" wrote:

I am trying to start a topic on good and favorite ways to lap chisels

Buying flat chisels in the first place. This has to be my least
favourite job for most-boring and least-rewarding.

I've never seen a new chisel that was lapped flat enough for my
satisfaction. not to say that the new lie nielsens or some bridge city
product wouldn't be there, but I'm not in that market sector : ^ )
John

Scary sharp. I use a 9x12 granite block with one surface
flat (Grizzly for around $29), start with 200grit SC wet/dry sandpaper
(use 100grit if the back is really non-flat), then work up to at least
400grit (higher is better, but flat with 400grit is an acceptable
stopping place)

Then use the same setup to sharpen

John