jtpr

Default Does this auction smell wrong to you?

It's number 4352467056. Check out the dates on his last (and only) 2
feedback items.

On the other hand if somebody knows this guy and it's real deal, let
me know...

-jtpr

Junkyard Jim

Kinda smells stinky to me. I would bid on it myself if I thought he
was legit

Jeff P.

Funny how each of the other two saws went for the exact same price of $660.
Unless, of course, that was a reserve price but the current auction doesn't
show a reserve so I doubt it.

--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
crew are believed to be marooned."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

oups.com...

jtpr wrote:
It's number 4352467056. Check out the dates on his last (and only) 2
feedback items.

On the other hand if somebody knows this guy and it's real deal, let
me know...

-jtpr

I'm always leery of a auction that doesn't feature a photo of the
acutual item, just a jpeg lifted from the mnfr's site.

damian penney

Definitely a scam, the two users that left feedback for the seller of
this item have been inactive for two years and then both mysteriously
left feedback for the same two new users, thomasc317 and sungoh703.
Scamsville.

Buy it on your AMEX. If they don't ship, dispute the charge. Don't pay
with cash or equivalent.

Chuck Hoffman

Another way to protect yourself is to email the "seller" and ask for an
address and telephone number...then verify them. Legit sellers usually
don't mind providing this info.

If you cannot establish the legitimacy of the seller, don't bid.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Buy it on your AMEX. If they don't ship, dispute the charge. Don't pay
with cash or equivalent.

WD

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:15:21 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"
wrote:

Some sellers are not too talkative, let say I bid and paid for it. What could
possibly go wrong? Can Paypal or Ebay prevent fraud and how can I get my money
back?

Another way to protect yourself is to email the "seller" and ask for an
address and telephone number...then verify them. Legit sellers usually
don't mind providing this info.

If you cannot establish the legitimacy of the seller, don't bid.

wrote in message
roups.com...
Buy it on your AMEX. If they don't ship, dispute the charge. Don't pay
with cash or equivalent.

Doug Miller

In article .com, "jtpr" wrote:
It's number 4352467056. Check out the dates on his last (and only) 2
feedback items.

Must've smelled wrong to eBay, too. It's not there anymore.

--
Regards,

Larry Bud

jtpr wrote:
It's number 4352467056. Check out the dates on his last (and only) 2
feedback items.

On the other hand if somebody knows this guy and it's real deal, let
me know...

It's gone! Can't find that item as of 6:36 EST 1/24

Mekon

wrote:

Some sellers are not too talkative, let say I bid and paid for it. What

could
possibly go wrong? Can Paypal or Ebay prevent fraud and how can I get my

money
back?

When I used to frequent the eBay NG it abounded with stories of ppl in
lengthy fraud disputes with PayPal and eBay. No replies to emails etc.

Mekon

Mike Reed

Yeah, they yanked it shortly after I emailed their fraud dept about the
auction.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Larry Bud wrote:
jtpr wrote:
It's number 4352467056. Check out the dates on his last (and only)

2
feedback items.

On the other hand if somebody knows this guy and it's real deal,

let
me know...

It's gone! Can't find that item as of 6:36 EST 1/24

Mapdude

If you use Paypal (which is owned by ebay) you can file a claim against
a seller but only for very specific reasons. Check the ebay website for
reasons.

I bought a wireless router (the computer type, not woodworking type)
last year that was delivered DOA. I went round and round with the
seller who was claiming the router was sold "as is, no refunds".

He claimed it had a manufacturers warranty, but they refused to honor it
because it was sold on ebay.

Bottom line, his auction information was false, I filed a claim, Paypal
agreed and refunded my money. I shipped him his DOA router back and
dropped the bomb on him in feedback.

wrote:

Some sellers are not too talkative, let say I bid and paid for it. What could
possibly go wrong? Can Paypal or Ebay prevent fraud and how can I get my money
back?

Another way to protect yourself is to email the "seller" and ask for an
address and telephone number...then verify them. Legit sellers usually
don't mind providing this info.

If you cannot establish the legitimacy of the seller, don't bid.

wrote in message
groups.com...

Buy it on your AMEX. If they don't ship, dispute the charge. Don't pay
with cash or equivalent.

jtpr

I had also filed a report just before you did. Isn't it fun gettin''
the bad guys?! Like that saw tho'...

-jtpr

Duane Bozarth

Gino wrote:
I rarely buy off Ebay and it's mostly little things but I could get burned quite
easily. I know little about the service.

Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift
to a forty-cent antique door handle from an old barn. I have so far not
had a problem but I've never patronized a seller w/o a significant
positive history--that seems to be a key.

BTW, IMO the lift would qualify as a major "gloat" if I were of that
ilk...
WD

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:37:15 -0800, Gino wrote:

I have never buy anything from Ebay till late last year. I'm glad the few items
I bought were from honest ppl. My wife is smarter than me she buy and sell a lot
in Ebay.

On 25 Jan 2005 06:24:25 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

I had also filed a report just before you did. Isn't it fun gettin''
the bad guys?! Like that saw tho'...

I appreciate this.
I rarely buy off Ebay and it's mostly little things but I could get burned quite
easily. I know little about the service.
I learned a lot here and I'm glad you guys in the know are taking a pro active
approach. You might have saved a number of people from being burned.

Mike Reed

Yessir, yes it is fun.

And, yeah the saw is nice. I was convinced that when the time comes, I
would buy a used Cab saw to replace my old contractor's saw. This style
saw is just too perfect for my needs, and there won't be a significant
used market for them for another 20 years.

sigh

Slowhand

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift

I'll give you 6k for it. ;-)
SH

Duane Bozarth

Slowhand wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift

I'll give you 6k for it. ;-)

I'm not done w/ it yet...

Another year or so, then just maybe although I've discovered more uses
for it than I would have ever thought I could/would...
Duane Bozarth

Slowhand wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift

I'll give you 6k for it. ;-)
SH

Actually, if you're really interested, the fellow I got this one through
is a broker who almost always has units available....he's in FL but
brokers all over the country. The unit I got was in Chicago area but
trucking was only $800 (and he paid $200 of it because he was "sure" and
promised it should only be $600 when I asked and offered to (and did)
take the difference).

Also, if you're in the Denver area by any odd chance, I saw a 45-ft unit
in last weeks FastLine used equipment digest at a place just east of
Denver just off I70. I'm debating seeing what I could do w/ them as I
can't quite get to the top of barn cupola w/ the 40-ft reach and I
still have the top cap, lightning rod and weathervane to put back. If
they'd swap for a small difference the other 5-foot reach would make
that a much easier proposition than gearing up w/ scaffold, etc.
Slowhand

Slowhand wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Like many others, I have bought stuff from a $5k JLG 40-ft boom manlift

I'll give you 6k for it. ;-)

I'm not done w/ it yet...

Another year or so, then just maybe although I've discovered more uses
for it than I would have ever thought I could/would...

Oh, you mean used. ;-)
They work great for decorating very tall xmas trees.
SH

Duane Bozarth

Slowhand wrote:

Oh, you mean used. ;-)

The JLG web site showed non-refurbished units of the same type (just
through the same operational safety checks required by OSHA) as from $20
to $30k at the time...the $5k minimum bid seemed like a good gamble...

Did have to replace a head gasket but other than that it's been
virtually flawless in the five years since I got it...

They work great for decorating very tall xmas trees.

Yeah, I put a small cedar on the top of the barn when we finished the
roof to celebrate...

-dpb
Keith

Looks like they took your report to heart, the auction doesn't even
come up any more.

-Keith

damian penney wrote:
Definitely a scam, the two users that left feedback for the seller of
this item have been inactive for two years and then both mysteriously
left feedback for the same two new users, thomasc317 and sungoh703.
Scamsville.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:24:28 GMT, Keith wrote:
Looks like they took your report to heart, the auction doesn't even
come up any more.

eBay is pretty good about that sort of thing, yes.