Member

Default How to avoid electricution in your shop!

I was out working in my shop (it's a garage, if you ask SWMBO, but hasn't had a car parked in it in two years) and noticed that a number of my power tools had really tattered cords, and some were missing grounding prongs on the plug. I'll even confess that six or seven years ago I had extended the length of the cord on by table saw by patching a piece into it with wire nuts and electrical tape. Let's just saw that the gleam of visible copper with 220 volts running through it motivated me to action.

Anyway, a quick trip to the local Home Depot and $30 later I had a new 20' cord on my table saw. For miscellaneous tools like a router, jig saw and skil saw, I used some orange extension cords I had bought on clearance a couple years ago. I purposefully left the new cords on my power tools on the long side, so I won't have to mess with using extension cords with them in the shop.
Tom

I love running current through a group of friends in my shop....Tom
Work at your leisure!
Tim Douglass

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:21:49 +0000, makesawdust
wrote:

[...]

Good caution. I've done the same thing with many of my small tools.
One other thought is that you can high quality extension cord type
wire in bulk. You want the stranded stuff with a *rubber* insulation,
rather than plastic. When I lived in Idaho the Orange Borg had the
stuff with bright yellow insulation, but all I can get here is black.
The rubber stuff is very flexible and stays so even in the cold. I put
a 20' #10 cord on my TS, which allows me to have it in the middle of
the shop and plug in at the wall.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
toller

Well, outlets in garages have to be GFCI, so you would have been okay.
Right?

I wonder about 240v though.

Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, using extension cords isn't really the way to avoid
electrocution... sounds like it was a step up for you, but they
usually end up laying across the floor and can get cut or otherwise
beat up pretty easily. For about $20, you can get 250 feet of (14
ga.- it's a little more for 10) two-wire romex with a ground wire, and
the various other outlets, boxes, and miscellaneous electrical items
are fairly inexpensive as well. All in all, you can install proper
outlets for all your tools for far less than the price of a couple of
good extension cords- and it's less hassle in the long run.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Brian Elfert

Tim Douglass writes:

wire in bulk. You want the stranded stuff with a *rubber* insulation,
rather than plastic. When I lived in Idaho the Orange Borg had the
stuff with bright yellow insulation, but all I can get here is black.

I think the orange borg discontinued the yellow jacketed stuff. A year or
two ago the local orange borg had the stuff on clearance and I bought a
fair amount.

Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert

"toller" writes:

Well, outlets in garages have to be GFCI, so you would have been okay.
Right?

I wonder about 240v though.

I did a fair bit of research on this, as unfinished basements are required
to have GFCI protection on outlets. 240V outlets are exempt from needing
GFCI. About the only way to do GFCI for 240V is through a GCFI circuit
breaker. The circuit breakers are quite expensive at about $145 each for
20 amp.

Brian Elfert
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus
wrote:

[...]

We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage is going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going to have quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.
Doug Winterburn

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:43:20 +0000, makesawdust wrote:

We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage is
going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going to have
quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.

Unless it's a really big third bay, you might want to consider leaving out
the wall and putting the major tools on mobile bases. My 11' x 24' third
bay is just big enough to park the herd when not rolled out into the other
two bays so I have room to use them.

-Doug

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:43:20 +0000, the inscrutable makesawdust
spake:
We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage
is going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going
to have quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.

Make it a 4-car garage so you can have a 2-car shop.
I do and it's still not quite big enough.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

SaeedCh

The best way is to have EARTH LEAKAGE CIRCUIT BREAKER at your main.A
good ELCB will break the supply within 1/10 of a second when by
accident someone got direct contact to electricity. SaeedCh

Duane Bozarth

makesawdust wrote:
We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage
is going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going
to have quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.

In addition to other comments, I'd recommend serious consideration for
some overhead outlets as well as wall...

Brian Elfert wrote:
I did a fair bit of research on this, as unfinished basements are

required
to have GFCI protection on outlets. 240V outlets are exempt from

needing
GFCI. About the only way to do GFCI for 240V is through a GCFI

circuit
breaker. The circuit breakers are quite expensive at about $145 each

for
20 amp.

I put in a new 60 amp service to my shop (aka detached garage) and a
subpanel a few years ago. SWMBO, gloat on who is an electrical
engineer gloat off, suggested that I put a 60 amp double pole GFI
breaker in the main panel to protect the whole garage.

These things are pretty pricey and not so easy to find, but after lots
and lots (and lots) more suggestions from SWMBO, I set eBay to search
for one. After about six months a brand new 60 amp GFI breaker for my
panel for turned up for $20.

It's tripped twice now. Once with a used 240 volt construction heater
that carbonized some animal matter remnants inside it, leading to
current leakage to the case, and after a leak in the roof dribbled
about three drops onto the table saw plug.

I'm sure neither one of these instances would have caused an
electrocution, but they were electrical problems I didn't know I had.
If there ever is a serious problem, it's nice to know I'll get some
warning.

Tim

George Pontis

In article .com, tim124c41
@yahoo.com says...
Brian Elfert wrote:
I did a fair bit of research on this, as unfinished basements are

required
to have GFCI protection on outlets. 240V outlets are exempt from

needing
GFCI. About the only way to do GFCI for 240V is through a GCFI

circuit
breaker. The circuit breakers are quite expensive at about $145 each

for
20 amp.

I put in a new 60 amp service to my shop (aka detached garage) and a
subpanel a few years ago. SWMBO, gloat on who is an electrical
engineer gloat off, suggested that I put a 60 amp double pole GFI
breaker in the main panel to protect the whole garage.

If you use a single GFI braker for the whole garage, it is a good idea to have
your lights on a different circuit. That way you won't be in the dark when the
thing trips.
Tim Douglass

On 23 Jan 2005 16:20:10 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Tim Douglass writes:

wire in bulk. You want the stranded stuff with a *rubber* insulation,
rather than plastic. When I lived in Idaho the Orange Borg had the
stuff with bright yellow insulation, but all I can get here is black.

I think the orange borg discontinued the yellow jacketed stuff. A year or
two ago the local orange borg had the stuff on clearance and I bought a
fair amount.

I've got to check with the local electrical supply house. I really
like the yellow because you are much less likely to walk or drive on
it, so it lasts longer. Besides, that fat yellow cord on my cheap TS
just looks cool.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:39:28 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

makesawdust wrote:
We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage
is going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going
to have quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.

In addition to other comments, I'd recommend serious consideration for
some overhead outlets as well as wall...

Personally, I hate overhead outlets. The cords are always in my way.

As to the 3 bay garage, I'll second the idea of leaving the wall out
and having tools on mobile bases. I'm doing essentially that in a 2
car garage. I have the TS in the "shop" half, just over the center
line. That way I can maneuver big pieces around it very easily.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

: In article .com, tim124c41
: @yahoo.com says...
:
: I put in a new 60 amp service to my shop (aka detached garage) and a
: subpanel a few years ago. SWMBO, gloat on who is an electrical
: engineer gloat off, suggested that I put a 60 amp double pole GFI
: breaker in the main panel to protect the whole garage.
:

: If you use a single GFI braker for the whole garage, it is a good idea to have
: your lights on a different circuit. That way you won't be in the dark when the
: thing trips.

Then it wouldn't be the whole garage, now would it???

George Pontis wrote:
If you use a single GFI braker for the whole garage, it is a good

idea to have
your lights on a different circuit. That way you won't be in the dark

when the
thing trips.

That's the downside. In my case there's a yard light that shines in
the windows if lighting was lost at night, which allowed me to
rationalize the whole garage on a GFI circuit now that I remember it.
And I mostly work in there during daylight on weekends.

Of course, this is also a good incentive to keep tripping hazards off
the floor. ;-)

Tim

Luigi Zanasi

On Tuesday 25 Jan 2005 3:51 am, Andy Dingley scribbled:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:01:11 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

I really
like the yellow because you are much less likely to walk or drive on
it, so it lasts longer

Naughty practice in the UK to use yellow - that's reserved for the
110V centre-earth systems we use on construction sites. Our 240V
stuff should be blue (standard 230V colour) or high-vis orange.

I use yellow for my 220V extensions to distinguish them from the others.
But I don't think there are any rules on that one here. BTW, I didn't
know you used 110V in the UK. Is is like our North American 110V (one
wire is neutral at the same potential as ground/earth)?

It's worth buying "Arctic" cable, if you get the choice. This stays
flexible at low temperatures, which is worth it in this weather. Most
of mine are black though, in heavy-duty rubber for wear resistance. I
wouldn't them being a bit more visible.

That stuff is just as useless as the rest at -40C (-40F Keith). It's
called "polar cord" at Crappy Tire. "Arctic" and "polar" are misnomers
as I can't even use it in the subarctic. The jacket breaks very easily
so they have to be stored in big wide loops. But then, at that
temperature, automobile tires keep their flat spot for a while and make
you think you've got flat tires until they warm up and become round
again.

In case you're wondering, we do use extensions outside, especially at
that temperature, to plug in our vehicles. Two block heaters, two
battery warmers and on oil-pan heater on my C2500 truck. At less than
2000 Watts, it's a lot cheaper than heating a garage, but then,
vehicles don't belong in the shop.

--
Luigi
Who is facing repairing a number of extension cords after the cold snap

Unisaw A100

makesawdust wrote:
With nine foot ceilings, I don't think that I'll have any overhead
outlets.

We have twenty foot ceilings in the shop at work and there
are drop down (reels) almost everywhere.

Of course this can get/be a wee bit expensive.

However, all of the outlets in my shop will be at 48" off the
ground, so no matter where I put a bench, less-that-mobile tool, etc,
it's won't be a pain to get to the plug-ins.

Has anyone told you, outlets every two foot?

Don't Ask Me How I Know This.

Thanks for all of the great ideas that everyone has given me.

Not a prob.

UA100
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:51:40 +0000, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

BTW, I didn't
know you used 110V in the UK. Is is like our North American 110V (one
wire is neutral at the same potential as ground/earth)?

No, it's earthed at a centre tap.

It's used on "construction" sites. The idea is that 50V is "safe" and
with this system you're never more than 50V above earth potential.
It's produced by either local generators, or by portable transformers.
Increasing rules are making it difficult to use 230V "workshop" tools
on a "site". I can see this when the "site" is a muddy field, but it's
a bit silly when you're kitchen-fitting and there's already a 240V
toaster sitting on the worktop.

The plugs and sockets are round, yellow with plastic sheaths. The
corresponding 230V version is blue, but not often seen.

Antony Sykes

Another consideration to wiring your shop. I recommend having the lights on
a separate breaker from everything else. Nothing worse than a tool blowing
a fuse and the shop going dark!

"makesawdust" wrote in message

Tim Douglass Wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:39:28 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:
-
makesawdust wrote:
...-
We're building a new house right now, and the third bay of the garage
is going to be walled off and serve as my dedicated shop. It's going
to have quite a few outlets in it, and lots of lighting.-

In addition to other comments, I'd recommend serious consideration for
some overhead outlets as well as wall...-

Personally, I hate overhead outlets. The cords are always in my way.

As to the 3 bay garage, I'll second the idea of leaving the wall out
and having tools on mobile bases. I'm doing essentially that in a 2
car garage. I have the TS in the "shop" half, just over the center
line. That way I can maneuver big pieces around it very easily.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

With nine foot ceilings, I don't think that I'll have any overhead
outlets. However, all of the outlets in my shop will be at 48" off the