Nate Perkins

Default Source for small metal cam clamps

Hi folks,

Anyone know where to get metal cam clamps in a small size (say #8 or #10
screw)?

Here is an example of a larger 1/4" one, from Lee Valley:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...,43576&p=45034

Rockler also sells the 1/4" one. I checked McMaster-Carr and Woodcraft and
came up empty.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

p.s. It's for a crazy project; a wooden Dobsonian telescope I have about
half finished.

JeffB

I had the same problem - with the same search results. You buy the cam clamp,
then get a piece of steel rod (~3/8"??) to replace the original cross nut, drill
and tap any size hole you need, then cut to length. You can buy the 1/4-20 and
5/16-18 sizes in Rockler blue...

JeffB

igor

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:02:44 GMT, JeffB wrote:

I had the same problem - with the same search results. You buy the cam clamp,
then get a piece of steel rod (~3/8"??) to replace the original cross nut, drill
and tap any size hole you need, then cut to length. You can buy the 1/4-20 and
5/16-18 sizes in Rockler blue...

Could you just drill and tap the same cross nut -- 90 degrees from the
existing hole? Just a thought. -- Igor
Nate Perkins

JeffB wrote in
:

I had the same problem - with the same search results. You buy the cam
clamp, then get a piece of steel rod (~3/8"??) to replace the original
cross nut, drill and tap any size hole you need, then cut to length.
You can buy the 1/4-20 and 5/16-18 sizes in Rockler blue...

Hi folks,

Many thanks for the replies.

My original message was badly worded in that what I am looking for are
smaller clamp handles, to fit (presumably) smaller bolts. The 1/4" handles
are about 3" long; I was looking for some that are maybe half that size.
The clamps go in a pretty tight space.

Cheers,
Nate

Ba r r y

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:18:53 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

Hi folks,

Anyone know where to get metal cam clamps in a small size (say #8 or #10
screw)?

Bicycle shops sell "quick releases" for axles and seat post binder
bolts. They're metric, but are smaller and easily available.

Barry
Nate Perkins

Ba r r y wrote in
news
wrote:

Hi folks,

Anyone know where to get metal cam clamps in a small size (say #8 or #10
screw)?

Bicycle shops sell "quick releases" for axles and seat post binder
bolts. They're metric, but are smaller and easily available.

Barry

Yes, that's it. Thank you!

Considering a metal roof... need advice please Brett Philp Home Repair 14 July 20th 04 12:18 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Sheet metal tool advice sought Spencer Metalworking 4 December 30th 03 03:05 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM
source for large metal wheels? David Smith Metalworking 5 October 16th 03 12:24 PM