toller

Default Tear out with an omnijig?

I made my first 6 drawers with my new omnijig. Had a bunch of problems, but
they were due to carelessness or inadequate stock preparation; the jig was
great.

Well, except for the tear out at the of about half the pieces. Is that just
the way it is, or is there some secret to avoiding it? I think leaving a
1/16" of extra material on, and then trimming would solve it, but maybe
there is a better way. Please don't suggest a backerboard; I had enough
trouble keeping two pieces square and set, three would be beyond my ability.

ks

Try this: make your first cut by moving the router from right to left,
cleaning to the tip of the fingers. This will help avoid tearout at the
edges.
Then, move the router left to right, following the template outline.

"toller" wrote in message
I made my first 6 drawers with my new omnijig. Had a bunch of problems,

but
they were due to carelessness or inadequate stock preparation; the jig was
great.

Well, except for the tear out at the of about half the pieces. Is that

just
the way it is, or is there some secret to avoiding it? I think leaving a
1/16" of extra material on, and then trimming would solve it, but maybe
there is a better way. Please don't suggest a backerboard; I had enough
trouble keeping two pieces square and set, three would be beyond my

ability.

taking small amount off you are effectively climb cutting. Then rout
the usual manner by going in and out.
You will not tearout the piece this way.
mike