David Patnaude

Default Building a computer desk, need suggestions

I am planning to build a computer desk at home that will support myself, my
wife, and my son's computers. The desk will have three corner units and
then three straight sections to connect the corner units. I plan to make
the corner units and connectors as separate units so that the whole thing
will go together as modules and be easier to handle.

The plan is to build the units out of red oak. I have on hand 3/4" ply that
I was planning to use for most of the unit and then band with read oak
hardwood to cleanup the plywood edges.

My question now is if there a more cost effective way to build the vertical
supports for the units. The 3/4" ply would work of course, but maybe a
frame and panel construction of harwood and 1/4" ply might be cheaper, but
just as sturdy.

The straight sections will aslo have file drawers below for support of the
desktops.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

this doesn't answer your question, but unless you all use the machines
at the same time a KVM switch will save you a whole lot of space.
Basically, it allows you to use one monitor, one keyboard, and one
mouse with several computers.

Link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...16193&pfp=cat3

Luigi Zanasi

On Thursday 20 Jan 2005 3:58 pm, David Patnaude scribbled:

[...]

BTDT, so here's my two cents worth.

1. Since you will be making (using?) filing cabinets to hold up the
straight sections, I would just screw in a couple of simple metal
corners to hold up the corner tops (i.e. attach the brackets to the
side of the filing cabinets). So the corner units would consist of only
of the top, no sides.

2. While the frame and panel would be just as sturdy (IMNSHO) and a lot
more fun to build, I doubt it will save you much money once you factor
in the cost of waste, etc. So are you looking for something IKEAish
that just looks okay, or something nicer & do you have the time to
build it?

3. I would consider using a wider contrasting wood for the edge banding.
It looks better that the usual banding seen on plywood panels. But
that's my NSHO.

4. If the sections are long, think of installing a 2-3" apron to avoid
sagging.

--
Luigi
Current real email is my first name in lower case while the domain is
Tom Watson

On 20 Jan 2005 15:58:37 GMT, David Patnaude
wrote:

[...]

Check this out:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page8.htm

You describe a modified version of this but the point is that the
corner unit picks up its support from the surrounding base units - for
free.

A piece of 1X stock on the wall in the corner, fastened to the studs,
is sufficient for the back of the desktop, and the base units have a
cleat to carry the sides.

HTH

Tom.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Mike

wrote:

My question now is if there a more cost effective way to build the vertical
supports for the units. The 3/4" ply would work of course, but maybe a
frame and panel construction of harwood and 1/4" ply might be cheaper, but
just as sturdy.

Cost wise, I don't think so but it depends on your design needs.
If your desk height is around 30" and the depth of the top is 24" or
less you can get 6 vertical pieces (or sides) out of a 4x8 sheet.
To save some cost you might be able to use a ply that is only good on
one side if you don't see both sides. Also, if you don't need a full
depth cabinet side but just a support for the top you can cut the
pieces at an angle and make a bracket that angles back toward the
wall. Each of the 30" tall by 24" deep sides can now be made into two
brackets by cutting the angle from corner to corner.

Mike O.

David Patnaude

Tom Watson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Tom, nice work. This is very similar to what I had in mind.

I will be taking a closer look at your dimensions to see how they compare
to what I was coming up with. I like how you varied the desk heights
since my wife and I were debating on the best height. She uses a laptop
and I have tower setup like yours.

Thanks,
Dave
David Patnaude

wrote in
ups.com:

this doesn't answer your question, but unless you all use the machines
at the same time a KVM switch will save you a whole lot of space.
Basically, it allows you to use one monitor, one keyboard, and one
mouse with several computers.

Link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...code=316193&pf
p=cat3

Thanks for the KVM suggestion. There are actually four computers already
in use with two on a 4 port KVM switch, but we really do have three
separate setups for each person to be working at the same time. Two
desktop setups and one laptop.

Thanks,
Dave-
David Patnaude

Mike wrote in
:

wrote:

My question now is if there a more cost effective way to build the
vertical supports for the units. The 3/4" ply would work of course,
but maybe a frame and panel construction of harwood and 1/4" ply might
be cheaper, but just as sturdy.

Cost wise, I don't think so but it depends on your design needs.
If your desk height is around 30" and the depth of the top is 24" or
less you can get 6 vertical pieces (or sides) out of a 4x8 sheet.
To save some cost you might be able to use a ply that is only good on
one side if you don't see both sides. Also, if you don't need a full
depth cabinet side but just a support for the top you can cut the
pieces at an angle and make a bracket that angles back toward the
wall. Each of the 30" tall by 24" deep sides can now be made into two
brackets by cutting the angle from corner to corner.

Mike O.

Mike,

Thanks for your suggestions. A good part of this will be visible and
supported by file drawers.

I do like the look of the frame and panel though, so I will have to look
a little harder at the cost differences.

Thanks,
Dave
Roger Shoaf

One thing you might want to consider is mounting the monitors at an angle
under glass so the user looks into the desk rather than on top. This also
clears the desk top of clutter. An under counter half drawer might be nice
for keyboard and mouse.

Sounds like your family spends a lot of time at the computer so you might
want to check out the ergonomic designs for optimal placement of keyboard
height and posture angles for viewing the screen.

For all of your cable requirements like connecting stuff like digital
cameras or downloading palm tops, you might have a little hinged hatch where
the cables may be stored when not in use but readily accessible.

Consider a cabinet that will allow you easy access to the computer itself in
the event you need to pop in a CD or a floppy or something and have it on
slides with some sort of light bungee cords to manage cable slack. Think of
the old typewriter desks.

You might also consider head phone/microphone jacks if your son plays those
blaster shootem up games, or something.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.