Never Enough Money

Default Milwaukee 2 1/4 Bodygrip vs. Porter Cable 890? Which One?

Both claim "above the table adjustment." Are they both about the same
in this feature or is one better? And how good are they? Can I get
anywhere near as accurate as a router lift?

Some selection criteria at the
http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link.
Both routers have their merits & handicaps.
_________________________
William J. wrote:
I am getting ready to buy a router. I have narrowed it down to either
the Milwaukee 2 1/4 Bodygrip or the Porter Cable 890. I know Porter
Cable has been around forever and are the industry standard in
routers, it would be a no brainer except for the Milwaukee. I like
that router is a handle feel on the Milwaukee. Only down side is
Milwaukee does not have a plunge base for their router right now.

Any opinions?

Never Enough Money

Thanksyou very much, Pat.

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Never Enough Money" wrote:

Both claim "above the table adjustment." Are they both about the same
in this feature or is one better? And how good are they? Can I get
anywhere near as accurate as a router lift?

You have to twist the slop out of both of them first. Once you have a
positive connection between threads and router motor, then they are both
as accurate as your test pieces. I my experience, none of those types of
tools have 'dialable' adjustments you can trust.
Personally, when I was looking for a small, but tough enough router, I
passed on the 890 for the following reasons.
The whole design is too 'marketing' oriented IMHO. Designed to look good
and to be sold..as opposed to being used?
Too tall, centre of gravity is up too high. (not pertinent in table use).
That dust collection through the handle... cute, but how effective?
That levered switch, lovely place to get dust-jams (like the big PC ROS)
Too much money.
I bought the 1 3/4 Milwaukee 5615. Kinda wished I has bought the EVS
version, but I only use smaller bits in this, so 24KRPM is acceptable.

I have been a dyed-in-the-wool PC router fan for decades. I have
purchased at least a dozen 3 1/2 and 3 1/4 hp routers from them over the
years. In the process of solid surface fabrication, a router's life is
hell. At half the price of a PC production router, I now buy Hitachi
M12V's.
For under the table precision woodworking, I'd buy the big Milwaukee,
although I'm sure the new 2 1/4 hp would be more than sufficient.
Leon now has me all over that Robbie-The-Robot Triton..kinda veered my
attention away from the 2000 watt Festool... for now

Ooop..finished my tea and

gone

Rob
bob

I have both and use them interchangeably. One observation: the Milwaukee
seems to have more vibration even without a bit, whereas the PC is smoother.
Above the table adjustment is equally easy on both. Both seem to be built
tough. I concur with another poster, though. For under the table permanent
mount, go with the big boy Milwaukee. It is noticeably superior to the PC
7518, which seems to set the standard for big table mount routers.

Bob

ups.com...