Ray

Default 9.6, 12 or 14.4

The batteries for my 9.6V DeWalt cordless screwdriver/drill have just
about had it.

Should I buy two new batteries for the 9.6 with the free drill and
charger for $100?

Or, step up to a 12 or 14.4V? I'm kind of leaning toward the 14.4
DeWalt, $200 is a lot though for a screwdriver/drill. They also seem a
little heavy for drilling pilot holes and driving screws. It would of
course have to make the occasional trip to MIL to hang curtains and
what ever else.

toller

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
The batteries for my 9.6V DeWalt cordless screwdriver/drill have just
about had it.

Should I buy two new batteries for the 9.6 with the free drill and
charger for $100?

Or, step up to a 12 or 14.4V? I'm kind of leaning toward the 14.4
DeWalt, $200 is a lot though for a screwdriver/drill. They also seem a
little heavy for drilling pilot holes and driving screws. It would of
course have to make the occasional trip to MIL to hang curtains and
what ever else.

It is an easy decision. If you were happy with the 9.6v before, get
another. It is always nice to have two drill; save changing bits.
If you felt it was underpowered, and need something heavy and awkward, go
for a more powerful drill.

Leon

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
The batteries for my 9.6V DeWalt cordless screwdriver/drill have just
about had it.

Should I buy two new batteries for the 9.6 with the free drill and
charger for $100?

Or, step up to a 12 or 14.4V? I'm kind of leaning toward the 14.4
DeWalt, $200 is a lot though for a screwdriver/drill. They also seem a
little heavy for drilling pilot holes and driving screws. It would of
course have to make the occasional trip to MIL to hang curtains and
what ever else.

9.6 is plenty for pilot holes and driving #10 and smaller screws into pilot
holes. New batteries will seem stronger also. It is not a bad idea to guy
the whole kit if you are going to buy 2 or more new batteries.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
The batteries for my 9.6V DeWalt cordless screwdriver/drill have just
about had it.

Should I buy two new batteries for the 9.6 with the free drill and
charger for $100?

Or, step up to a 12 or 14.4V? I'm kind of leaning toward the 14.4
DeWalt, $200 is a lot though for a screwdriver/drill. They also seem a
little heavy for drilling pilot holes and driving screws.

You can always go to 15.6. I bought a Panasonic because it has a nice feel
to it and is smaller than some drills of less power. It did, however, cost
twice what you are talking about.

My guess is that if the 9.6 worked for you it will continue to. I used a
3.6V for screws and while a little slower than my drill, it worked and only
cost $25. Unless you have other need for more power, stick with the lighter
drill.

Steve Dunbar

Take a look at the Panasonic EY6105YQW 12-Volt Drill/Driver. I recently
bought one of these from Amazon when they had it on sale for $49. The price
has gone up to $90, but I think it's still a good buy. The drill has good
power, but it's lightweight and easy to handle.

--
-- Steve
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:27:22 -0800, Steve Dunbar
calmly ranted:

Take a look at the Panasonic EY6105YQW 12-Volt Drill/Driver. I recently
bought one of these from Amazon when they had it on sale for $49. The price
has gone up to $90, but I think it's still a good buy. The drill has good
power, but it's lightweight and easy to handle.

There are several of those sets on Ebay for $25 or so (a penny for
the drill kit plus $22 to ship and $3 mandatory insurance.)

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

loutent

Hi Ray,

I was about to replace my 12 V. PC drill because one of the ni-cads
was worthless and the other was showing signs of going. I considered
replacing the batteries, but that would be almost as
expensive as buying a new one. It is about 12 years old.

Then I got to thinking that the batteries might still have something
left in them and that it might be worth trying to rejuvinate
them.

I went on a 2 week charge/discharge cycle with both batteries.
I would charge one, put it in the drill, then clamp the
trigger on. When it ran down, I replaced it with the
other battery and did the same. After a few weeks,
I noticed a huge improvement in battery charge life - so
much so, that I am satisfied to keep my old drill for now.

Just a thought.

Lou

In article .com, Ray
wrote:

The batteries for my 9.6V DeWalt cordless screwdriver/drill have just
about had it.

Should I buy two new batteries for the 9.6 with the free drill and
charger for $100?

Or, step up to a 12 or 14.4V? I'm kind of leaning toward the 14.4
DeWalt, $200 is a lot though for a screwdriver/drill. They also seem a
little heavy for drilling pilot holes and driving screws. It would of
course have to make the occasional trip to MIL to hang curtains and
what ever else.

Jim Behning

The place I buy batteries from has a Cadex charging/conditioning unit.
Every nicad pack they sell is run through the process and the battery
condition is printed on the battery pack. I can send batteries there
for testing and conditioning before replacement. The articles I have
read from Cadex suggest that construction batteries are usually in
better shape because they are run until they are dead (1volt per cell
which is no power to do anything) and then charged. Half discharging
batteries and recharging causes the memory problems people hate. I
need to try Loutent's home discharge conditioning test before I get my
Dewalt 9.6 battery packs rebuilt. The batteries are only 9 or 10 years
old. Shouldn't they still work a long time before needing a charge?
;-)