Guess who

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:32:16 GMT, "Brian in Hampton"
wrote:

Looked at the pic and they are not milled I can see the die marks on them
from the press....they may say that, but I see otherwise....Brian

Like the micrometer buffs who need just that little more accuracy when
cutting wood with a vibrating saw blade, how accurate do we need to
be?

Anyhow, comparative shopping helps:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...filter=clampit

You [that's any "you"] decide.

Brian In Hampton

The wood will move more than .002 with the humidity so why work to those
tolerances, don't get me wrong I like to be as accurate as I can be but
there is a point you cant get any closer.....Brian
wrote:

Looked at the pic and they are not milled I can see the die marks on them
from the press....they may say that, but I see otherwise....Brian

Like the micrometer buffs who need just that little more accuracy when
cutting wood with a vibrating saw blade, how accurate do we need to
be?

Anyhow, comparative shopping helps:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...=10112&objectg
roup_id=525&catid=80&filter=clampit

You [that's any "you"] decide.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:28:44 -0500, "Robin Lee"
wrote:

"Brian In Hampton" wrote in message
I have allready made some out of 11ga steel and they work great...But I

wood
not spend that kinda money on them...my $.02 ......Brian
"Robin Lee" wrote in message
. ..

Brian -

Completely understand - but we have to leave the value judgement up to the
customer...there are lots more people with $10 bills (well, $12.25 really),
than there are with the desire to build their own braces.

The "make vs buy" equation is different for everyone.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob-
don't get me wrong... if you have customers for the item at that price
I totally support your giving warehouse space, catalog space, etc to
the item. I'm highly unlikely to buy it myself, but if someone else
wants to, let 'em.

I can actually see a slight advantage to these over homemade ones-
that glue might release easier. otherwise, it seems vastly easier,
cheaper and more convenient to make them out of scraps of plywood as
needed. but maybe that's just me.

Brian In Hampton

Looked at the pic and they are not milled. There are no milling marks
anywhere on the parts....Brian
. ..

Looked at the pic and they are not milled I can see the die marks on

them
from the press....they may say that, but I see otherwise....Brian

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:14:11 -0800, "mp" wrote:

Confession time. I did not check whether they were milled or

not.
Edwin
asserted that they were and I just took his word for it - lazy

me.
had
previously thought they were just stamped based on the picture on

the
web
site.

They're milled to within .002" per side.

I missed that. where does it say that?

I followed one of the links that someone posted to the manufacturer's

site
and I did see it there. See if you can find one of the posts from the

last
couple of days - after the date of my comment above, and you should

find
the
link.

--

-Mike-

Brian they are milled on the reference surfaces - on 3 faces, to within
.002" over 6". Material is sheared and bent aluminum - 3/16 thick...

The web copy is being/has been updated....

Cheers -

Rob

Brian In Hampton

I posted some pictures on ABPW of the brackets I made yesterday of the ones
in this thread.........Brian
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...&abspage=1&ccu
rrency=2&SID=

or

http://tinyurl.com/5ed72

Why in the world are these brackets so expensive? Can they possibly
be worth it?

JP

Guess who

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:02:24 -0500, "Brian In Hampton"
wrote:

The wood will move more than .002 with the humidity so why work to those
tolerances, don't get me wrong I like to be as accurate as I can be but
there is a point you cant get any closer.....Brian

That was my point.

Robin Lee

Looked at the pic and they are not milled. There are no milling marks
anywhere on the parts....Brian

Brian -

Respectfully - you're wrong...you're looking at a low res photo... I'm
looking at the actual product.

The wood contact surfaces are all milled.

Cheers -

Rob

Scott Lurndal

"Brian in Hampton" writes:
E-mail me a high res pic to show me.......Brian

Why should he? Why do you care? Are you just Robert
under a different name?

scott

Unisaw A100

Hey Brian, I was looking at the angles you posted on abpw.
Are the legs on yours milled like on the Lee Valley ones?

UA100
Brian in Hampton

No they are not...I put them up to a machine aquare and they are
square....Brian

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Hey Brian, I was looking at the angles you posted on abpw.
Are the legs on yours milled like on the Lee Valley ones?

UA100

Guess who

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:29:23 -0600, John wrote:

Errors are CUMULATIVE, so why not minimize the errors that you can,
such as in the braces, straight edges, etc.

Then why not make them accurate to 0.00002"? Answer...same reason.

Mike Marlow

"John" wrote in message
Errors are CUMULATIVE, so why not minimize the errors that you can,
such as in the braces, straight edges, etc.

Ok - then let the .0002 errors compound. What do you end up with after a
few measurements? .0006? .0010? .0090? Is it really meaningful at all?
You'd have to accumulate a lot of errors before you ever hit a point where
it impacted the project at hand.
--

-Mike-

Unisaw A100

Brian in Hampton wrote:
No they are not...I put them up to a machine aquare and they are
square....Brian

By the way, are you the same Brian that gave more to tsunami
relief than I make in a month, if I had a job?

UA100

Guess who

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:58:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
Errors are CUMULATIVE, so why not minimize the errors that you can,
such as in the braces, straight edges, etc.

Ok - then let the .0002 errors compound. What do you end up with after a
few measurements? .0006? .0010? .0090? Is it really meaningful at all?
You'd have to accumulate a lot of errors before you ever hit a point where
it impacted the project at hand.

That's what I'm saying! Let me be a little more clear.... It's
idiotic to expect such accuracy, or especially expect to need such
accuracy when cutting wood.

John

I am SURE they could be produced to a 0.0002 tolerance, but the COST
would probably be prohibitive. Balance between COST and the tolerance
is why they are only done to 0.002 or whatever

The key is to MINIMIZE the error, as it is not really possible to
eliminate all errors

John

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:04:31 -0500, Guess who
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:29:23 -0600, John wrote:

Errors are CUMULATIVE, so why not minimize the errors that you can,
such as in the braces, straight edges, etc.

Then why not make them accurate to 0.00002"? Answer...same reason.

Unisaw A100

Brian In Hampton wrote:
Not me............

Oh good 'cause he was an annoying little buggerer.

UA100
Unisaw A100

Brian In Hampton wrote:
I sent you an email did ya get it??

Yes I did and I will respond privately.

UA100
Mike Marlow

"Guess who" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:58:50 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
Errors are CUMULATIVE, so why not minimize the errors that you can,
such as in the braces, straight edges, etc.

Ok - then let the .0002 errors compound. What do you end up with after a
few measurements? .0006? .0010? .0090? Is it really meaningful at all?
You'd have to accumulate a lot of errors before you ever hit a point

where
it impacted the project at hand.

That's what I'm saying! Let me be a little more clear.... It's
idiotic to expect such accuracy, or especially expect to need such
accuracy when cutting wood.

Argh!!!! Sorry man - I mis read your intent. Thought you were saying the
opposite.

--

-Mike-