charlie b

Default SF Bay Area Tool Heaven

Thursday, on the way to the new San Carlos WoodCraft store,
we passed a warehouse looking building in an industrial area
with a sign that said TOOLAND. We'd have to check it out
on the way back.

The trip to the new WoodCraft store was primarily to have
a look at the Jet 1014VS "midi lathe" and some tire kicking.
The 1014VS has gotten some great reviews and, with the
bed extension, has a 36" center to center capacity. The
price of the lathe was $350, same as in the reviews and
various catalogs, including the Penn State catalog I'd
brought with me.

How much is the bed extension?

$176

What! Penn State has it for $46. See, right here in their
catalog.

Hmmm - let me check that price again. What's the part
number?

While he checked the price I picked up four of the
$5 1/2" shank router bits on sale, the Tite-Mark
mortising wheels I'd been meaning to get for over
a year, a tube of 20 small spring clamps and a small
$5.50 rosewood pen box with slot hinges (I have
slot hinges and the slot cutters but wasn't sure
how to use them. A real world example is worth
pages and pages of instructions).

The bed extension for the Jet is $55 not $176.
We don't have any in stock but we're putting in
an order today.

Thanks to Christmas and some unexpected
dental bills, the Jet lathe would have to wait.
My buddy had the cash on him and offered
to front me the money and have me pay him
back whenever I could. The offer was
greatly appreciated but I chose to wait.

On the way home we stopped in at TOOLAND
just down the street.

It was heaven, without the pearly gates.
A warehouse full of cabinet saws, drill
presses, BIG bandsaws, drum sanders,
planers big enough to run doors through,
joiners you could land a plane on, a few
WoodMasters, some W&Hs, shapers,
power feeders, and racks three levels
high of circular saws - up to18 inches,
electric drills that could break your arm,
little compressors and some that would
need half the shop, rows and rows of
hand tools AND a whole other section
of metal working machines.

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
This place was heaven. AND they had the
Jet 1014VS for $329 and the bed extension
for $50.

"I still have the cash if you want to get it."
my buddy said again. "It'll fit in the car,
no problem."

Passed again, but this time because I'd
have a good excuse to return to Tool
Heaven sometime in the near future, after
I've researched chucks, spur centers and
turning tools. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Thursday was a good day.

charlie b

For SF Bay Area residents looking for
Tool Heaven, it's a 1369 Industrial
Road, San Carlos, on the same street
as the new WoodCraft and back towards
Whipple a couple of blocks. If you
buy "my" lathe I'll hunt you down and ...
AAvK

charlie b

For SF Bay Area residents looking for
Tool Heaven, it's a 1369 Industrial
Road, San Carlos, on the same street
as the new WoodCraft and back towards
Whipple a couple of blocks. If you
buy "my" lathe I'll hunt you down and ...

Sounds like a business that just about matches-up to your website!
I am glad you had a great day.

Alex

toller

What is the drive time from SF? I am going there next month on vacation,
unless USAir liquidated, and we certainly don't have anything like it is in
Rochester.

Roger Shoaf

"toller" wrote in message
What is the drive time from SF? I am going there next month on vacation,
unless USAir liquidated, and we certainly don't have anything like it is

in
Rochester.

Should be less than 1/2 an hour from the airport unless you attempt this at
commute time. If you are coming from the City, figure about an hour.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

mac davis

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:07:25 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Thursday, on the way to the new San Carlos WoodCraft store,
we passed a warehouse looking building in an industrial area
with a sign that said TOOLAND. We'd have to check it out
on the way back.

snip
For SF Bay Area residents looking for
Tool Heaven, it's a 1369 Industrial
Road, San Carlos, on the same street
as the new WoodCraft and back towards
Whipple a couple of blocks. If you
buy "my" lathe I'll hunt you down and ...

They moved, huh? Toolland used to be on El Camino, near Howard...
I'll have to check them out again on my next trip to the bay area..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

max

Charlie
I have been to Tooland. Nice place. Many years ago I boycotted them because
of their advertising but I forgave them.
max

[...]

Scott Lurndal

"Roger Shoaf" writes:

"toller" wrote in message
What is the drive time from SF? I am going there next month on vacation,
unless USAir liquidated, and we certainly don't have anything like it is

in
Rochester.

Should be less than 1/2 an hour from the airport unless you attempt this at
commute time. If you are coming from the City, figure about an hour.

Depends on time of day, of course, but even from the city (assuming
financial district or SOMA (convention center), an hour is excessive
(It takes me an hour from south san jose to the convention center).

It's more like 1/2 hour from the city and 15minutes from the airport, again,
traffic permitting.

scott
charlie b

Go to Mapblast.com and put in the address
1369 Industrial Road
San Carlos, CA 94070

should generate a map for you. I think
you can also put in your origin address