LP

Default Bloxygen

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?
Groggy

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

LP

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:21:53 GMT, Groggy
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

Thankee Sir. Inert gasses. I thought so.
Kevin Craig

In article , Groggy
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

I wonder how well carbon dioxide would work on its own? There the easy
home version they taught us in Cub Scouts: vinegar and baking soda.
Since it's heavier than air, and oxygen-displacing, you can place a
couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a measuring cup, tilt it over
the desired container, and add enough vinegar to soak the baking soda
without running over. The gas vapor is visible, and will sink right
into the target container.

I don't know how effective it is, though. I haven't had reason to try
it.

Kevin

George

"Kevin Craig" wrote in message
In article , Groggy
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:
BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

I wonder how well carbon dioxide would work on its own? There the easy
home version they taught us in Cub Scouts: vinegar and baking soda.
Since it's heavier than air, and oxygen-displacing, you can place a
couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a measuring cup, tilt it over
the desired container, and add enough vinegar to soak the baking soda
without running over. The gas vapor is visible, and will sink right
into the target container.

I don't know how effective it is, though. I haven't had reason to try
it.

I think _dry_ matters, too. you'd add a bunch of moisture. Haven't seen
the propane advocates in this thread yet, perhaps they've joined the PVC for
dust pipe gang....

JGS

Hi LP,
Around here you can buy it in wine /booze stores. Used to preserve part
bottles of wine. I have used it for stain but not for wine. Cheers, JG

LP wrote:

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

A.J. Hamler

L.P. ...

In fact, Steve Zawalick of Ironwood Designs -- the guy who runs (or at
least did at one time run) the company that makes and distributes
Bloxygen to retail outlets -- adapted the product directly from that
used to protect wine.

A.J.

Phisherman

wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:

Anyone know whats in that can of gas that Woodcraft sells (as
Bloxygen) to stop the hardening of partially used cans of finish?

BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

Thankee Sir. Inert gasses. I thought so.

Carbon dioxide is not inert. Anyway, I found that if I put a teaspoon
of solvent on top of the can before sealing it back helps. Before the
lid is replaced, clean the threads to create a good seal. For
paint-type tops, I use a rawhide mallet and inspect the rim to ensure
it is seated properly. When there is a little finish left in the can,
it makes sense to transfer it to a smaller container or just toss it.
Leon

"JGS" wrote in message
Hi LP,
Around here you can buy it in wine /booze stores. Used to preserve part
bottles of wine. I have used it for stain but not for wine. Cheers, JG

What is the cost from a wine store?

John

Yep, I have a BIG tank of welding ARGON in the shop, and use that
instead of paying for BLOxygen in those tiny cans

Works get just as it is, and appears to work just as well as Bloxygen

Key is to dispense slowly, and to use an extension that lets you put
the argon entry AT the surface of the paint/etc. Since argon is
heavier than air, it will displace the air as you introdce it

John

wrote:

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:02:01 -0500, LP wrote:
BlOxygen is a mixture of nitrogen, argon, and carbon dioxide.

I wonder how well carbon dioxide would work on its own? There the easy
home version they taught us in Cub Scouts: vinegar and baking soda.
Since it's heavier than air, and oxygen-displacing, you can place a
couple of tablespoons of baking soda in a measuring cup, tilt it over
the desired container, and add enough vinegar to soak the baking soda
without running over. The gas vapor is visible, and will sink right
into the target container.

I don't know how effective it is, though. I haven't had reason to try
it.

I think _dry_ matters, too. you'd add a bunch of moisture. Haven't seen
the propane advocates in this thread yet, perhaps they've joined the PVC for
dust pipe gang....

A.J. Hamler

About the same, around $9-$10 depending on the store, since it's the
same stuff in the same can. Different packaging and label is all.
A.J.

Leon

"A.J. Hamler" wrote in message
oups.com...
About the same, around $9-$10 depending on the store, since it's the
same stuff in the same can. Different packaging and label is all.
A.J.

Although the same stuff sometimes products are much cheaper if sold for
another purpose. Apparently not in this case..

Steve Knight

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:38:16 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"A.J. Hamler" wrote in message
roups.com...
About the same, around $9-$10 depending on the store, since it's the
same stuff in the same can. Different packaging and label is all.
A.J.

Although the same stuff sometimes products are much cheaper if sold for
another purpose. Apparently not in this case..

it does work well the finish I use takes me about 1.5 months or so to use a can.
it would skin over and get slower at drying and I seldom could use a full can.
well with the bloxygen I got every speck out of this last can. well worth the
investment.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Leon

wrote:

it does work well the finish I use takes me about 1.5 months or so to use
a can.
it would skin over and get slower at drying and I seldom could use a full
can.
well with the bloxygen I got every speck out of this last can. well worth
the
investment.

Yeah I have had a can for a while.