LP

Default Anyone Know What Bloxygen Is?

Bloxygen is a can of some kind of gas, sold to be sprayed inside
partial containers of paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. The theory is
that it displaces the oxygen and stops the hardening/curing process.
Does anyone know what this gas might be?

Kinda related, would there be any ill effects from using argon for
this purpose? From the 'net I find that argon molecules dont combine
with themselves or with anything else, so it seems pretty safe.

theboss
theboss at ridgeworks dot com
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:55:23 -0500, LP wrote:
Bloxygen is a can of some kind of gas, sold to be sprayed inside
partial containers of paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. The theory is
that it displaces the oxygen and stops the hardening/curing process.
Does anyone know what this gas might be?

Could be CO2, it's heavier than air and very cheap.

Kinda related, would there be any ill effects from using argon for
this purpose? From the 'net I find that argon molecules dont combine
with themselves or with anything else, so it seems pretty safe.

It's an inert gas, won't combine with anything at all in any conditions
you'll ever have. The only danger from inert gasses is oxygen displacement
- if you have a room full of it, you'll suffocate while breathing deeply.

In the quantities we're talking, or as a welding gas, not gonna be a
problem. The product will have a CAS number on the container,
which you can google for to find out what it is (if it doesn't say
on the can).

Dave Hinz
Loren Amelang

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 15:55:23 -0500, LP wrote:

Bloxygen is a can of some kind of gas, sold to be sprayed inside
partial containers of paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. The theory is
that it displaces the oxygen and stops the hardening/curing process.
Does anyone know what this gas might be?

Says right on my can: "Contains Nitrogen, Argon, and Carbon Dioxide".

All the details are in the FAQ at:
http://www.bloxygen.com/

It originated from the Napa Valley wine industry...

Loren

LP

Thanks to all who replied. Argon it is. I, too, have used propane in
the past with good results but I'm a bit leery of it just because it's
an explosive gas.

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:59:59 -0600, "rasek" wrote:

I have used argon and propane. Both work. Propane is more convenient.

Randy

"LP" wrote in message
.. .
Bloxygen is a can of some kind of gas, sold to be sprayed inside
partial containers of paint, varnish, lacquer, etc. The theory is
that it displaces the oxygen and stops the hardening/curing process.
Does anyone know what this gas might be?

Kinda related, would there be any ill effects from using argon for
this purpose? From the 'net I find that argon molecules dont combine
with themselves or with anything else, so it seems pretty safe.

theboss
theboss at ridgeworks dot com

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:11:56 -0500, LP wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. Argon it is. I, too, have used propane in
the past with good results but I'm a bit leery of it just because it's
an explosive gas.

Actually, it's a _flammable_ gas. And your shop probably has dozens
of things in it which are more hazardous. Sense of perspective and all
that...
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:11:56 -0500, LP calmly
ranted:

Thanks to all who replied. Argon it is.

The plain facts: http://www.bloxygen.com/BloxygenMSDS.pdf

I, too, have used propane in
the past with good results but I'm a bit leery of it just because it's
an explosive gas.

So are most solvents used in finishes which skin over, so don't worry
about it too awfully much.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----