Lawrence L'Hote

Default Parts Holder for the Fabulously Cheap

You can get some useful stuff from Home Depot for free. In fact, I found
the people more than willing to let me load up. I'm talking about those
metal straps they use to secure plywood and such on pallets. In the past,
I've made shelf brackets from the straps, small scrapers, marking knives and
some peanut-butter-jar screw/nail/etc holders for my peg board. I have
found it a good idea to heat the part of the strap to be punched(or
drilled) to red hot to make it easier to pierce.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/pea-butter-holder1.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/pea-butter-holder2.jpg

Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

mark

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:
You can get some useful stuff from Home Depot for free. In fact, I found
the people more than willing to let me load up. I'm talking about those
metal straps they use to secure plywood and such on pallets. In the
past, I've made shelf brackets from the straps, small scrapers, marking
knives and some peanut-butter-jar screw/nail/etc holders for my peg
board. I have found it a good idea to heat the part of the strap to be
punched(or drilled) to red hot to make it easier to pierce.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/pea-butter-holder1.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/pea-butter-holder2.jpg

Larry

Coulda used some of that to hang my DC ductwork...

Lawrence L'Hote

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
nk.net...
Good work, Larry.
Have fun.
Joe

As you know, the strapping is hard and tempered making it difficult to bend
and drill. FWIW I found I could reduce the temper considerably by coiling
up a long strip and laying it on the bar-b-que coals and getting it red hot.
In the pictures, the grey colored section has been bar-b-qued and the
part(black) around the pb jar left alone.

Larry

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:54:36 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
calmly ranted:

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
ink.net...
Good work, Larry.
Have fun.
Joe

As you know, the strapping is hard and tempered making it difficult to bend
and drill. FWIW I found I could reduce the temper considerably by coiling
up a long strip and laying it on the bar-b-que coals and getting it red hot.
In the pictures, the grey colored section has been bar-b-qued and the
part(black) around the pb jar left alone.

When I made holes in the bandsaw blade I'll someday use for the
bow saur I'm someday going to finish, I used the hand anvil punch.
They work very well for that.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"

Cheap drills Simon Pleasants UK diy 11 June 22nd 04 12:17 AM
Parts washers: Go cheap? Neil Metalworking 14 April 2nd 04 07:14 PM
(Found while surfing) Interesting, cheap source of parts, schematics, repair docs... ~^Johnny^~ Electronics Repair 8 December 18th 03 02:03 PM
Sony power supply parts cross reference Dave Electronics Repair 4 September 5th 03 01:08 AM