Big Fat Daddy

Default Help with planer

Just got a planer for Christmas.
Just want to know what the benefits of this planer would be?
I go to Home Depot and buy wood already plain.
How would this planer best benefit me the most?
Would I save a lot more money if I went to a lumberyard and bought rough
lumber and planed it myself?
And how much would the savings be about?

Thank you
John

Swingman

"Big Fat Daddy" wrote in message
Just got a planer for Christmas.

Congratulations ...

Just want to know what the benefits of this planer would be?

Many and various .. a book on the basice of woodworking is in order.

I go to Home Depot and buy wood already plain.

Plain wood is often hard to beat ... particularly if you have no book, or
have not taken a course on, on the basice of woodworking.

How would this planer best benefit me the most?

When it's plugged in .. but a book on the basice of woodworking should be in
order before you do that.

Would I save a lot more money if I went to a lumberyard and bought rough
lumber and planed it myself?

Not a lot, but you would also have the added benefit of being able to size
your wood in thickness to suit the project.

Keep in mind that a planer, by itself, is not a complete solution to milling
rough lumber ... .. a book on the basice of woodworking is in order.

And how much would the savings be about?

Depends upon how much woodworking you plan on doing. If a lot, you will
eventually recoup the cost of the planer, in time and convenience as well as
the lower cost of rough lumber.

Before doing that however, you would do well to leave the planer in the box
and buy a book on the basics of woodworking.

Seriously.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Jim Behning

I go to the lumber yard and the lumber is 4/4 quarter sawn red oak. I
need 3/4 for my project. I plane until I get the thickness I need. I
get to go to a real lumber yard to pick out lumber I like. There is
nowhere near the selection at Home Depot, Lowes or other places
compared to a real hardwood lumber yard. Those chain stores do not
even carry the lumber I want. Cost savings is not a factor for me.

"Big Fat Daddy" wrote:

Just got a planer for Christmas.
Just want to know what the benefits of this planer would be?
I go to Home Depot and buy wood already plain.
How would this planer best benefit me the most?
Would I save a lot more money if I went to a lumberyard and bought rough
lumber and planed it myself?
And how much would the savings be about?

Thank you
John

Ba r r y

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:27:25 GMT, "Big Fat Daddy"
wrote:

Just got a planer for Christmas.
Just want to know what the benefits of this planer would be?
I go to Home Depot and buy wood already plain.
How would this planer best benefit me the most?

How about using wood of any thickness you want?

That's good enough for me.

Barry
toller

If you don't know what to do with it, it is of no use to you.

Return it and use the cash to buy some wood, and make something.

It is refreshing to see someone not obsessed with tools.

Keith

Well, as an example, my local Home Despot (no, that's not an
accidental typo :-) gets $6-$7 a linear foot for 6" wide x 1"
(nominal) red oak.Wider than that gets astronomically high. My local
lumberyard (Condon Lumber in Stormville, NY) gets $2.95 a board foot
for 4/4 D2S (planed on two sides) red oak. $2.60 a bf if I buy over
300 bf at once (my friends and I do group buys). A decent saving,
plus, I get to pick from a much better selection.

-Keith

JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM