Max63

Default Scratchless Router base

what do you put on your router base when working with formaica? I just
did some inlay work and the surface has received a few minor scratches
(unremovable, I guess).
Thx...

Ba r r y

On 2 Jan 2005 00:24:13 -0800, "Max63" wrote:

what do you put on your router base when working with formaica?

Wax.

Barry

DJ Delorie

I have an auxilliary base I made out of 1/4 plywood, taking care to
recess the screws sufficiently and sand/wax it smooth.

One thing to do: Remove the mounting screws for your base and flatten
the tops on your bench stone or a file. In my case, bumps on the
screws were the primary culprit for scratches - especially if the
phillips screwdriver has ever slipped.

sandman

Max63 wrote:
what do you put on your router base when working with formaica? I just
did some inlay work and the surface has received a few minor scratches
(unremovable, I guess).
Thx...

Go to your local solid surface fabricator, have him give you a
sink-cut-out made out of acrylic 1/2" thick and make a router base out
of it. The stuff cuts on a table saw without causing any damage to your
blade. It is no more agressive than particle board with melamine....in
fact, less so 'cuz melamine is a bitch on blades. Keep the edges of the
base sharp so that small sharp things can't ride under the base as you
move it. (works like a small snow shovel)
Then spray with Bostik TopCoat.

When I make a base like that, I always make one dimension 1/32 narrower.
That way, I make a pass to clean up an edge on a panel, rotate the base
90 degrees and make a fine climb-cutting clean-up pass. I do this a lot
when edgebanding panels.

Robatoy

In article ,
sandman wrote:

Max63 wrote:
[...]

Woops...that was from the NEW ME!! Robatoy has taken over sandman's
body. Now there is only one sandman..and it isn't me........I don't
think it is...is it?? All confuddled now.
Robatoy

Woops...that was from the NEW ME!! Robatoy has taken over sandman's
body. Now there is only one sandman..and it isn't me........I don't
think it is...is it?? All confuddled now.

You see... I was on my laptop..and I hadn't changed this one yet...Doc
says I'll be back on solid food soon...

Robatoy (formerly knows as sandman)
John

Max63 wrote:
what do you put on your router base when working with formaica? I just
did some inlay work and the surface has received a few minor scratches
(unremovable, I guess).
Thx...

In the Good ol' days, when cabinet making in a kitchen factory, we used
to adhere laminate to the router and trimmer bases. this eliminated
scratches and made the machines glide more easily over the tops.
John