Nate Perkins

emove (SteveC1280) wrote in
:

I vaguely remember an article in FWW within the past year or two about
working with and finishing birds eye maple. Can anyone point me to
which issue it is? Or was I dreaming?

Teri Masaschi in the May/June 2003 issue pg 44.

FWIW, I've also had very good luck with the early American maple method by
Jeff Jewitt (
http://homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/eamaple.htm). I've used
Jewitt's method on both birdseye and curly maple with good effect. I like
it because it calls for oil before shellac, which gives an appearance that
I prefer.

p.s. A word of advice, you might want go light on the aniline dye and test
on scraps first. It always looks a little muddy right after the dye goes
on, but the figure pops back after the oil.