S. A. King

Default Please help me identify this part...

Lathe attachment that offsets the tail stock as you rotate it, to let
you turn things like table/chair legs with one end offset from the
centerline. The more rotation the more offset.
Si

Michael Sorbera wrote:
It's a part from the lathe on a Mark V Shopsmith.

It's broke and I don't know the name of the part to order a new one.

btw, anyone have one of these to sell?

Thanks,
San Antonio Silver Bullet

Nobody

Well, yes and no. I mean -- it IS an offset attachment, but it's actually
TWO parts. And -- there's more to it than that.

A) It's both a "cup center" for the lathe (part # 505716, as near as I can
tell), AND the offset, dead-center-holding insert for the tailstock. Look
at the following pictu
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...ockexpview.htm (cut and
paste the entire link into your browser address bar if you have problems
clicking on it).

B) I can't quite tell what's broken about it from the picture -- looks
like maybe the centering point on the cup center is broken/dulled.
Fortunately a new one will only cost you $15 or so. (I *believe* that
these are standard "Morse Taper #2" centers -- you can get a replacement
at Sears -- look for an "MT2 Cup Center" and bring the offset insert with
you to see if it fits (if I'm correct about what's broken)).

C) The reason for the offset (which S.A. King, below, mentioned) is this:
if you mount a piece of wood such that the left end (on the "live" center,
connected to the motor) is centered, and the right end (on the tailstock,
or driven center) is offset -- and then turn it AS IF you're just turning
a straight cylinder -- you end up with a tapered piece. A "cone", if you
will. By turning the offsetting piece (part #288, the "eccentric mount"),
you increase or decrease the amount of resulting taper.

Hope that helps -- you owe me....well, something ;-)

Nobody

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:40:11 +0000, S. A. King wrote:

Lathe attachment that offsets the tail stock as you rotate it, to let
you turn things like table/chair legs with one end offset from the
centerline. The more rotation the more offset.
Si

Michael Sorbera wrote:
[quoted text muted]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Nobody

King is correct about the offset stuff -- but there's more info.

A) It's (usually) called a "cup center".

B) The reason for the offset is this: if you turn a piece with one end
centered (in the "live center", so named because it's attached to the
motor and thus directly driven), and the other end offset (in the "dead
center" -- in this case, your mystery part) -- the resulting piece, when
turned 'normally' (i.e., as if it's a straight cylinder) will come out
*tapered*.

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:40:11 +0000, S. A. King wrote:

Lathe attachment that offsets the tail stock as you rotate it, to let
you turn things like table/chair legs with one end offset from the
centerline. The more rotation the more offset.
Si

Michael Sorbera wrote:
[quoted text muted]

DVI input specification of Pioneer PDP504PE (The screen part of the Pioneer PDP504HDE) Art Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 04 03:48 AM
How do I figure out the diameters so I will have a nice screw fit? LPEL98 Metalworking 5 April 21st 04 04:55 PM
Old Delta drill press part?? gattman Metalworking 4 March 28th 04 09:41 PM
Part of home electrical system shuts down Andre Courchesne - Consultant Home Repair 11 August 6th 03 03:51 PM