Edwin Pawlowski

Default Tool Problem

All my tools are no good any more.

I planed some wood to 3/4" and it seemed OK.

I cut some strips to 1/8" and they seem to fit OK.

What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just found
out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not only
does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

The 1/8" strips shrunk also. The first one I grabbed was a mere .123.

I've already tossed the defective wood into the wood stove and I'm setting
my tools out by the curb for trash day. Now that I have a digital readout
caliper, I'm going to buy all new tools that are accurate and start over.

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock
says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment
Ed

Joe

What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just found
out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not
only does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

Thanks for proving me wrong... I always tell people that when drilling
holes with my equipment, they don't need to worry about runout as much as
metal workers do because I'd never heard of someone using either a caliper
or micrometer on wood... You, my dear friend just erased that argument from
my answer book.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Joe

Oh... And it sounds like the wood shrunk/dried and/or wasn't held tight to
the table as you worked it.

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

"Joe" wrote in message
What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just
found out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size.
Not only does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

Thanks for proving me wrong... I always tell people that when drilling
holes with my equipment, they don't need to worry about runout as much as
metal workers do because I'd never heard of someone using either a caliper
or micrometer on wood... You, my dear friend just erased that argument
from my answer book.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Todd Fatheree

"Joe" wrote in message
What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just

found
out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not
only does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

Thanks for proving me wrong... I always tell people that when drilling
holes with my equipment, they don't need to worry about runout as much as
metal workers do because I'd never heard of someone using either a caliper
or micrometer on wood... You, my dear friend just erased that argument

from
my answer book.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to
remove.

todd

Dave in Fairfax

Todd Fatheree wrote:
I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to
remove.

From the responses, my guess is a harness with treble hooks. Well
cast indeed.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Patriarch

Dave in Fairfax wrote in
:

Todd Fatheree wrote:
I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be
painful to remove.

From the responses, my guess is a harness with treble hooks. Well
cast indeed.
Dave in Fairfax

Doesn't your newsreader recognize the sarcasm flag?

Patriarch

Edwin Pawlowski

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to
remove.

todd

I figured the time discrepancy comment would be enough to eliminate the
barb.

In reality, the caliper is probably not going to increase accuracy very
much, if any, but is easier than trying to see those little lines on the
ruler.

Joe

I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful to
remove.

It's Christmas... Everyone deserves a response today... Even the trolls.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Todd Fatheree

"Joe" wrote in message
I hope Edwin didn't use a barbed hook this time. Those can be painful

remove.

It's Christmas... Everyone deserves a response today... Even the trolls.

And the gullible.

todd

John T

I use calipers when planing my wood.

Guess who

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:58:11 -0600, John T
wrote:

I use calipers when planing my wood.

I use a plane. :-)

Patriarch

John T wrote in news:PAkzd.3917$Rg1.1224
@fe03.lga:

I use calipers when planing my wood.

How do you sharpen them? Waterstones?

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:19:07 GMT, Patriarch
calmly ranted:

John T wrote in news:PAkzd.3917$Rg1.1224
:

I use calipers when planing my wood.

How do you sharpen them? Waterstones?

Another Q for him: Brake, dial, electronic LCD, or vernier?

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

DanG

Goodness - gracious,

Throw out the parts and try again. Off by 8/100's or more!!!!!!
There is a hundredths scale on my old frame square. I haven't
been able to read that scale without glasses and a magnifying
glass for over 20 years.

My dad is a retired tool and die maker. I always remember him
making a drawer for a stereo, no probably hi-fi cabinet when I was
a kid. We lived in arid Colorado and there were still plenty of
days that you couldn't make that drawer budge. Wait for a few low
humidity days and it would work just fine. His clearance
allowance would have been unconscionable in metal work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
All my tools are no good any more.

I planed some wood to 3/4" and it seemed OK.

I cut some strips to 1/8" and they seem to fit OK.

What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I
just found out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is
way under size. Not only does it measure .742, it has low
spots that measure .740

The 1/8" strips shrunk also. The first one I grabbed was a mere
.123.

I've already tossed the defective wood into the wood stove and
I'm setting my tools out by the curb for trash day. Now that I
have a digital readout caliper, I'm going to buy all new tools
that are accurate and start over.

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the
digital clock says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an
appointment
Ed

Roger Shoaf

"DanG" wrote in message

My dad is a retired tool and die maker. I always remember him
making a drawer for a stereo, no probably hi-fi cabinet when I was
a kid. We lived in arid Colorado and there were still plenty of
days that you couldn't make that drawer budge. Wait for a few low
humidity days and it would work just fine.

I sometimes wonder if houses would improve if the yahoos that work framing
tract houses would serve as an apprentice to a tool and die maker for 6
months or so.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Mike Marlow

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"DanG" wrote in message

My dad is a retired tool and die maker. I always remember him
making a drawer for a stereo, no probably hi-fi cabinet when I was
a kid. We lived in arid Colorado and there were still plenty of
days that you couldn't make that drawer budge. Wait for a few low
humidity days and it would work just fine.

I sometimes wonder if houses would improve if the yahoos that work framing
tract houses would serve as an apprentice to a tool and die maker for 6
months or so.

Hell... they'd improve if those yahoos were forced to work for six months
under a journeyman carpenter.
--

-Mike-

patrick conroy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

All my tools are no good any more.

Hmm - if you email me, vmail me or snail mail me, or call me at one of the
six phone numbers associated with me now - I'll walk you though fixing that
caliper. Clearly it needs the battery removed to work better.

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock
says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment

NIST in Boulder is nearby. Hold on while I check their Cesium clock...

Ba r r y

wrote:

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock
says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment

Fortune cookie - "Man with two clocks never really sure what time it
is."

My wooddorking version - "Man with two measuring sticks never really
sure of size."

Barry
TWS

wrote:

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock
says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment

Fortune cookie - "Man with two clocks never really sure what time it
is."

My wooddorking version - "Man with two measuring sticks never really
sure of size."

Barry

Corollary to the wooddorking version: "Man who has tool reading in ten
thousandths of an inch will never be satisfied with the result."

TWS
JMartin957

All my tools are no good any more.

I planed some wood to 3/4" and it seemed OK.

I cut some strips to 1/8" and they seem to fit OK.

What went wrong? I got a new digital caliper for Christmas. I just found
out the wood I planed (or so I thought) to 3/4" is way under size. Not only
does it measure .742, it has low spots that measure .740

The 1/8" strips shrunk also. The first one I grabbed was a mere .123.

I've already tossed the defective wood into the wood stove and I'm setting
my tools out by the curb for trash day. Now that I have a digital readout
caliper, I'm going to buy all new tools that are accurate and start over.

Anyone know the correct time? My watch says 10:42 but the digital clock
says it is 10:43:15 so I'm going to be late for an appointment
Ed

You really shouldn't be using a dial caliper for that - it isn't accurate
enough. Try a good set of vernier calipers instead.

And then, when you have finally become a fine woodworker and can hit the .750"
right on, buy a tenths micrometer so you can shoot for .7500".

John Martin