Default Moving to the big city...

I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

My shop used to be about 30' x 30' and is currently crammed into the
basement of a small townhouse for the same reason you note in yout
post. I find that the biggest hassle is not being able to use TS,
router and DC after about 8:30pm because of the noise. Other that
that, you get used to the room constraints and, me anyway, tend to work
in a little bit more organized manner to avoid clutter and associated
safety hazards. Other than those, no big deal....
Hope it helps . . .

Ba r r y

On 23 Dec 2004 16:50:38 -0800, "
wrote:

I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop.

Rented industrial condo space.

Bands often have the same problem. Hook up with some other
woodworkers, and you can actually get a good thing going.

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ba r r y" wrote in message

Bands often have the same problem. Hook up with some other
woodworkers, and you can actually get a good thing going.

Barry

Share space with BAD

Patriarch

" wrote in
ps.com:

I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

So, do you believe that no one here has a house? Or owns real estate?

When you get a chance, do a Google on the Bay Area Woodworkers club, and
see if you can plan to at least chat with one or more of them when you
visit next. There are a number of really good craftspeople living and
working in San Francisco (city limits) who can hook you up with the
latest solutions.

If you're going to be living in one of the other areas, such as the East
Bay, check out www.diablowoodworkers.com. It's a great group of people
as well, and very few of us have more space than I do - a two car garage
from which the automobiles have been evicted.

San Francisco has access to some of the best hardwood dealers in the
world, and the area has a special relationship with the woodworking
communities of Sonoma and Mendocino counties. There are a lot of
talented wood dogs around.

Just don't count on setting up a big shop in Pacific Heights. Bernal
Heights, on the other hand....

Patriarch,
here for the duration.

Leon

wrote in message
ps.com...
I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

Move to a big city where the real-estate owners don't see you coming before
you get there.

Steve

wrote in message
ps.com...
I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

Can you spell H-u-n-t-e-r-'-s_P-o-i-n-t ? (Or have even the trashiest
locations gone 'nanas in the 30 years since I left The City?)
--
Enjoy life and *do* well by it
-- it might well be the only chance you get :-)

Steve,
http://www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

Duane Bozarth

Leon wrote:
Move to a big city where the real-estate owners don't see you coming before
you get there.

Which particular big city might that be??? Isn't that a definition?

Leon

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Move to a big city where the real-estate owners don't see you coming
before
you get there.

Which particular big city might that be??? Isn't that a definition?

Houston, still the most affordable housing in the country. A nice new 2,700
square foot home can still be had for just over $160,000. 3,500 square feet
normally under $200,000. Plenty of older homes in good shape with just
under 2,000 square feet for under $110,000.

max

Steve
WE had a cabinet/Furniture shop in Hunters Point and recently moved it to
the Mission. Real estate is insane in SF. Hunters Point is supposed to be
the best value in the country at the moment. They are building light rail
down Third st and property values have skyrocketed.
max

wrote in message
ps.com...
I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

Can you spell H-u-n-t-e-r-'-s_P-o-i-n-t ? (Or have even the trashiest
locations gone 'nanas in the 30 years since I left The City?)

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 02:54:51 GMT, Patriarch
wrote:

" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I'll likely be in SF for a few days in January sometime.

any chance for a visit?
Phisherman

On 23 Dec 2004 16:50:38 -0800, "
wrote:

I may be moving to San Francisco soon, so I'll have to wave goodbye to
my spacious workshop. How have other people found ways to keep their
woodworking hobby when living in an area where real estate is
prohibitively expensive?

There are ways to have a small shop or even a portable one, although
you may not have a table saw, jointer, etc. Hand tools become
important. I love SF, but too much $$$ and very small spaces. Take a
look at the "WorkShop Book" published by Taunton Press for good ideas.
Ba r r y

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:33:22 -0500, Chip Olson wrote:

I live in an inner suburb of Boston, which while not quite as insanely
expensive as SF is still on the pricey side. My workshop is a 9x12 room in
the basement of our 2-family house. Currently it's just workbench,
table saw and drill press, and I may eventually add a jointer. Fitting a
band saw in will be tricky, however.

I would ditch a drill press for a band saw in a minute. G

The longer I own a band saw, the more it's one of the top tools I own
in usage time.

Barry

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 06:23:11 GMT, Patriarch
wrote:

wrote in news
Patriarch,
here for the duration.

I'll likely be in SF for a few days in January sometime.

any chance for a visit?

Unmunge the email address, and send me the details. We'll set something
up, if we can.

Patriarch

check your email...

Heh, I believe that very very rich people own houses and have real
estate - at least in the areas that I'd want to live in . Call it
Chapagne taste on a beer budget. I will check out the BAWC, that sounds
like a good resource. If I could get a place with a two car garage AND
in a good part of town, I'd be thrilled, but I'm not counting on it.
Perhaps I should just accept my fate and live in the Valley and let my
girlfriend have the long commute into the city .
Thanks for your help,
George

max

George
The commutes around SF are horrendous. It takes about 45 minutes to get to
Berkeley on a good night (20 miles). Using 80 east or 24 will cause you to
lose hours every day and bad feelings.
max