Member

Default Poctet Cutting Machines

When I was younger I worked in a cabinet shop and we had a machine to cut pocket holes for face frames.

Basically, it consisted of a platform mounted to a steel tool stand. On top of the platform was a clamping device - you'd lay the stock that needed the pocket holes flat in the clamp, with the side to be routed facing upwards. on top of the clamping device was a motor with a fluted bit and a handle - pull the trigger on the handle, pivot the bit into the wood, and you have a pocket hole. Then, after routing the pocket, you'd drill the pilot hole for the screw - there was a hole in the back of the jig that lined the pilot hole up perfectly with the pocket.

I think that it was a Porter Cable machine, but I can't remember - it's been years since I worked in that shop.

This machine was really easy to use and I would love to get one for my own home shop or maybe build one. Does anyone have one of these, have seen one, or know where I can get one, or have built something similar?

It didn't look like a Porter Cable Model 552 pocket hole cutter - it looked very simple and primative. The motor/handle assembly on it looked almost like a jig saw, but with a rotary cutting motion instead of reciprocating like a jig saw. I've searched around online for one with no luck.

Many thanks!
max

I have used a Castle machine and another private brand that was actually
purchased by Jet. I can't afford to buy an actual machine to have at home so
I bought the Craig Jig )or however it is spelled). Having a machine is
awesome. The work flow is not slowed, you just walk over and pope the holes.
I don't think a machine is worth the money for home use. The Castle uses two
motors, one cuts the pocket and the other edge drills. The machine I used
last uses a step drill and the edge of the work is always burred.
max

[...]

Woodcrafter

Try these:

Kreg Foreman Pocket Hole Milling machine
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...linetoolrev-20

Porter Cable Pocket Hole Cutting Machine
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...linetoolrev-20

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Charlie Self

Woodcrafter notes:

Try these:

Kreg Foreman Pocket Hole Milling machine
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...linetoolrev-20

Porter Cable Pocket Hole Cutting Machine
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...linetoolrev-20

I've got the 552 and it's excellent, but at 700 bucks, it is also pricey.

But he might want to take a look at the Pocket Pro from CMT, too.
www.cmtusa.com

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Upscale

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

But he might want to take a look at the Pocket Pro from CMT, too.

Here's the link directly to it. Do you have experience with this one
Charlie? If so, how would you compare it to the Kreg as far as capability?

http://www.cmtusa.com/store/index1.i...roducts.ihtml&
titleimage=titles_accessories.jpg

Charlie Self

Upscale asks:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

But he might want to take a look at the Pocket Pro from CMT, too.

Here's the link directly to it. Do you have experience with this one
Charlie? If so, how would you compare it to the Kreg as far as capability?

http://www.cmtusa.com/store/index1.i...&id=CID6811524

98&step=2&parentid=CID4501485646&pagetitle=&menuin clude=leftnav_products.ihtml&
titleimage=titles_accessories.jpg

Wish I had. It looks a touch easier to change bits on than is the PC 552.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Self
Upscale asks:

"Charlie Self" otforme wrote in message

But he might want to take a look at the Pocket Pro from CMT, too.

Here's the link directly to it. Do you have experience with this one
Charlie? If so, how would you compare it to the Kreg as far as capability?

http://www.cmtusa.com/store/index1.i...&id=CID6811524

98&step=2&parentid=CID4501485646&pagetitle=&menuin clude=leftnav_products.ihtml&
titleimage=titles_accessories.jpg

Wish I had. It looks a touch easier to change bits on than is the PC 552.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell
Thanks for everyone's advise. The machine wasn't like the Porter Cable 552 or the stationary Kreg machine. I guess I'll have to see if my old employer still has his shop and and running.

The machine I'm looking for is more like a router motor that pivots in a frame - as it pivots downward it cuts the pocket while a clamping mechanism built into the machine holds the piece of the face-frame that is being cut in position. The pilot hole is then bored manually, but the tool acts as a guide to get the hole in the right spot.

By the way, there is a stationary Kreg pocket hole machine ebay right now...no affiliation, yada yada yada.

Thanks!
Todd Fatheree

"makesawdust" wrote in message

Thanks for everyone's advise. The machine wasn't like the Porter Cable
552 or the stationary Kreg machine. I guess I'll have to see if my old
employer still has his shop and and running.

The machine I'm looking for is more like a router motor that pivots in
a frame - as it pivots downward it cuts the pocket while a clamping
mechanism built into the machine holds the piece of the face-frame that
is being cut in position. The pilot hole is then bored manually, but
the tool acts as a guide to get the hole in the right spot.

I remember Norm using a machine like this way back when he was cutting
pocket holes.

todd

LRod

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:41:02 +0000, makesawdust
wrote:

Thanks for everyone's advise. The machine wasn't like the Porter Cable
552 or the stationary Kreg machine. I guess I'll have to see if my old
employer still has his shop and and running.

The machine I'm looking for is more like a router motor that pivots in
a frame - as it pivots downward it cuts the pocket while a clamping
mechanism built into the machine holds the piece of the face-frame that
is being cut in position. The pilot hole is then bored manually, but
the tool acts as a guide to get the hole in the right spot.

Sorry I missed the original question. I believe you're talking about a
Porter-Cable model 550. I have a couple of pictures of one at my
website in the Norm's Tools section

http://www.woodbutcher.net/images/normstools/pc-550.htm

They show up on ebay every once in a while.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Upscale

"LRod" wrote in message

Sorry I missed the original question. I believe you're talking about a
Porter-Cable model 550. I have a couple of pictures of one at my
website in the Norm's Tools section

http://www.woodbutcher.net/images/normstools/pc-550.htm

Hmmm! I seem to remember that the one on Norm's show was a little bigger
than that. Either that or the one I remember was a different model or make.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscale

THANK YOU!!!! This is exactly the tool that I'm looking for. This is great, thanks.