Tim Taylor

Default Shaper or Drill Press?

I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper for a
pretty good price. The reviews for this shaper are not great but I can
get it for 1/3 the price. I've got a router table and plenty of bits. I
don't have a drill press and I think it may be more useful. I'm looking
at the Grizzly G7944 standard 14" DP.

Help me make this decision.

SonomaProducts.com

1. If you don't have a DP and do have a router, logic would state get
the DP first. A router can do lots of what a shaper can do but a shaper
nor router can do much of what a DP does.

2. If you are making raised panel doors, custom moldings or doing large
multi-stepped edge treatments than a shaper can be critical. You can do
all of these on a router but the time it takes is much increased and if
you do it a lot, you'll burn up your router.

The G7944 looks to have a good range of speeds, pretty good room from
spindle to table and 3.25 quill travel which isn't bad. Some cheapys
are as low as 2.25 where 4" is better and more is outstanding.

Wilson Lamb

Raised panels are the main reason I like cabinetry and the shaper bits are
pretty small, so I got a shaper early on..big enough to swing about a 5"
panel raiser. Otherwise, It's not all that useful beyond the router table,
which can handle the rail&stile bits and the door edgers just fine. The DP
is great for flycutters, holesaws, Forstner bits, etc., but plain holes are
fine with a hand drill. You can even get a little stand to hold a hand
drill to work as a DP. ALSO, HF has DPs very cheap...maybe not the best,
but way better than doing it by hand.
Wilson
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. If you don't have a DP and do have a router, logic would state get
the DP first. A router can do lots of what a shaper can do but a shaper
nor router can do much of what a DP does.

2. If you are making raised panel doors, custom moldings or doing large
multi-stepped edge treatments than a shaper can be critical. You can do
all of these on a router but the time it takes is much increased and if
you do it a lot, you'll burn up your router.

The G7944 looks to have a good range of speeds, pretty good room from
spindle to table and 3.25 quill travel which isn't bad. Some cheapys
are as low as 2.25 where 4" is better and more is outstanding.

sandman

In article .com,
"Tim Taylor" wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper for a
pretty good price. The reviews for this shaper are not great but I can
get it for 1/3 the price. I've got a router table and plenty of bits. I
don't have a drill press and I think it may be more useful. I'm looking
at the Grizzly G7944 standard 14" DP.

Help me make this decision.

A drill press. If you make a lot of jigs, templates, etc. like I do, a
DP is essential.

Personally, I wouldn't go near a shaper without a powerfeed.
I fear those beasts. Once a shaper has its way with a hand, forget about
micro surgery. We are talking a hamburger puzzle.
But *with* a powerfeed, they are versatile, climb-cutting becomes a real
treat. If the spindle tilts?? The possibilities are endless.
And then there is the sound of an induction motor.

Rob

"Common Sense Is Not Common"
(Voltaire)
Bob

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper for a
pretty good price. The reviews for this shaper are not great but I can
get it for 1/3 the price. I've got a router table and plenty of bits. I
don't have a drill press and I think it may be more useful. I'm looking
at the Grizzly G7944 standard 14" DP.

go with the drill press. I'm not sure what your budget limit is, but Amazon
is selling the Jet 17" DP for $385 including shipping. That's a good deal -
more HP, 4 3/8" quill stroke, 16 speeds, and very easy to change pulley
setup.

Bob

Unisaw A100

Personally I think the drill press is "more needed" but you
can always buy the drill press at retail price. I doubt
you'll find the shaper at this price too soon.

It's quite the predicament you have found yourself in.

UA100, who firmly believes you take what's offered, even if
it's not in the proper order of things that you think...
Bernard R

Tim Taylor wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper for a
pretty good price. The reviews for this shaper are not great but I can
get it for 1/3 the price. I've got a router table and plenty of bits. I
don't have a drill press and I think it may be more useful. I'm looking
at the Grizzly G7944 standard 14" DP.

Help me make this decision.

Expect to make up the original price of the shaper, and then some, by
the time you have added the tooling. This should really have been a
decision before you invested in the router table and its tooling.

End of the day, as with any tool, its only you the end user who can
decide what tools you actually need.

BernardR
Tim Taylor

I hadn't thought about the tooling, thanks. It's one of those things
that comes up I hadn't planned on getting a shaper before the router
and table but you know how things go.

I think you have all helped me decide that I don't really need a
shaper and I can use a drill press.
Now the search for a good affordable DP

Bob G.

On 20 Dec 2004 15:29:33 -0800, "Tim Taylor" wrote:

I have an opportunity to buy a slightly used 1 1/2 HP Jet shaper for a
pretty good price. The reviews for this shaper are not great but I can
get it for 1/3 the price. I've got a router table and plenty of bits. I
don't have a drill press and I think it may be more useful. I'm looking
at the Grizzly G7944 standard 14" DP.

Help me make this decision

..
========================

Without reading any of the replies...(yet) let me say

I do Have 6 routers....and I do have a Shaper

And I have both floor and bench top Drill presses PLUS a
drill press mounted in a horizontal position (like a boring
machine)....

I can tell you is that I use my floor model Drill press
10 times as much as I do any of the routers... and .100 times as much
as I do the shaper...

Serious Hobby use...in my case....

Bob Griffiths