buck

Default Are there any decent Table Saws for $250-$350???

Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

Ba r r y

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:38:32 -0700, "buck"
wrote:

Thanks for any opinions.

A used Jet or Delta contractor saw.

Barry

Donald Guzzetta

I agree that you should look to see what used saw you can get your hands on
seeing how it will be used somewhat infrequently. I am still partial to the
good old fashioned belt drive table verse the direct drive. easy to maintain
and repair if needed

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year
do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that
we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one
that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I
am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think
are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying
any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

It's not quite in your price range but:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...0 f0daefde00b

read the last post regarding the Jet CS. I have one of these and not only
is it a pretty good saw, that's a very good deal.
cc

ervers.com...

wrote:

Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

buy an old cast iron american made saw.
Phisherman

wrote:

Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

You may be able to find a used one in good shape. Good brands include
Jet, Powermatic, General, possibly Grizzly. Avoid table tops that are
plastic or pressed metal--cast is much better Look for a flat
table, a good solid fence, and with the blade parallel to the fence.
Try ripping a board and moving all the gears before you buy. Doubt
you can find anything new with reasonable quality at that price, but
you might settle for a quality circular saw instead.
Wilson Lamb

I have two C'men, one to rip and one to crosscut, probably from the 70s.
One was $150 and one $75. Sorry fences, but usable...never used on the
crosscut anyway. One has steel wings and one cast. Both are straight, with
no runout. I've put link belts on them, but never touched anything else.

You'll get far more for your $ used, unless you have a pride problem.

BTW, you might want to think about RAS. They are $75-200 and can do many
things fairly well and some very well. I've owned one for over 30 yr and
now have two!

Wilson
"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year

do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that

we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one

that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I

am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think

are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying

any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

AAvK

Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.
Thanks for any opinions.

I have read some good advice in this NG not to buy direct drive, belt drive is best:
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp free shipping
over 50lbs. There might be a store in your town though, the store locations are
listed on the site.

Alex

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
I'll sell you a Delta contractors saw in great shape for $350 if you
pick it up in Atlanta. About a 1984 model with cast iron top, steel
extensions.

If you can't get to Jim's place, look for a similar saw for a similar price.
Nothing new will be as good.

buck

Appreciate all of the help. I guess for this price a good used saw is
probably the way to go. Will have to start searching the papers.
Thanks Again to All!

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year

do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that

we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one

that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I

am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think

are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying

any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

Frank Ketchum

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year
do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that
we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one
that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I
am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think
are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying
any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Whatever you end up with, spend some dough on a nice blade. A good
combination crosscut/rip Freud blade will be around $50 or so at home depot
and is well worth every penny. Stock blades that come with saws are crap.

Frank

buck

thanks Frank..... will do!

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in message
nk.net...

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
[...]

I just took advantage of a promotion that the local Home Depot had to
buy a Rigid 3650 contractor's saw. I believe it is priced at $547 on
the sales floor. It's a decent saw- cast iron top and wings, 1 1/2 HP
belt drive, serviceable fence, built in mobile base, regular 3/4" miter
slot, arbor long enough to accept a full stack of dado blades,
warranty. I was able to purchase this saw for 1/2 price when I signed
up for a commercial account. All it took was filling out the
application and returning it to the pro desk. Out the door the saw was
under $300. I'm not sure if this was a store-specific promotion or a
chain wide thing. Also, I'm not sure if this promotion is still going
on or not. However Lowe's is currently (through tomorrow) offering 20%
off power tools and Amazon often runs specials (and price matches as
well). I just ordered a Delta drill press from Amazon. Lowe's has this
drill press at 20% off and Amazon matched the price plus took off an
additional 10% of the difference. I would read some archives of this
news group and do some research on reviews of saws in your price range
and then keep your eyes peeled for a sale on a decent saw. Used
machinery can be a bargain if you know what to look for, otherwise it
can be a headache (and quickly wipe out the bargain aspect) to replace
parts and tune the machine to get it in working order.

Dale

buck wrote:
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per

year do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course

that we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find

one that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot.

Maybe I am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you

think are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with

buying any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mike in Arkansas

I'll sell you a Delta contractors saw in great shape for $350 if you
pick it up in Atlanta.

Have the same in Arkansas if your in the area.
Mike in Arkansas

Silvan

buck wrote:

Appreciate all of the help. I guess for this price a good used saw is
probably the way to go. Will have to start searching the papers.
Thanks Again to All!

I have no idea how we could work shipping, but I bet we could ship it for
$100. I have a friend selling an old Crafstman contractor's saw. Not sure
what vintage, but it's old enough that the micro-adjust feature on the
fence is a rack and pinion system with metal parts, and I don't reckon
Sears has made (had made for them) anything like that since the '80s. He's
asking $200. It needs some cleaning up, but it's a good runner. He's been
using it for jobsite stuff, and not exactly babying it. It's rusty all
over, but would clean up good I think.

I third or fourth or fifth everybody's recommendations here. I started off
on a Skil 3400 that I picked up new for $50. It was better than nothing,
but the only really good selling point was that I got it new for $50. It
was a real piece of crap all around. Crappy fence, crappy miter gauge,
non-standard miter slots, CRAPPY aluminum table (warped even), screaming
universal motor with enough vibration to shake things off shelves two doors
down. I must be a pretty damn good woodworker to have ever produced some
of the stuff I did with that pile of crap.

I replaced it last year, and I did a lot of dollar-conscious shopping for
low end stuff trying to get the minimum saw I would consider "decent" for
the least money. I wound up with a ~$600 Crapsman contractor's saw that I
got for something around $400 IIRC on closeout. It was the cheapest,
lightest, smallest saw I felt would do the job for me.

I probably would have bought and cleaned up this friend's old saw if I had
known the guy was getting rid of it last February. C'est la vie. Anyway,
what I'm getting at is I don't think there's anything out there new right
now for less than $500 that's worth looking at unless you just like
smashing your head into a brick wall.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
D. Mo

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Seeing that I probably won't be using a TS more than 15-20 times per year

do
they make a decent saw in this price range. I do realize of course that

we
are talking some real entry level saws here. I would like to find one

that
has a steel top rather than cast aluminum and a 3/4" miter slot. Maybe I

am
asking for the moon..... Feel free to thrash on any saws that you think

are
real junk. $350 is my ceiling price......I have no problem with buying

any
brand as long as I get my $350 worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

Check around for something used. I just picked up a 8" Craftsman which was
made in 1948.

D.Mo

Dick Snyder

I have a Bosch 4000 and I agree completely with this post.

"RESPITE95" wrote in message
Another $100 gets you the best "small" table saw, Bosch 4000, complete
with
stand, back and left side extension. Look at Toolcrib on the net, it's a
deal!. GCS

Mike Reed

I agree, used is the way to go. I found a 1970s Craftsman contractor's
saw, and bought it for $100. I've used it a few times per week for 5
years now. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford any saw I want,
but I haven't felt the need to replace this one.

A Jet or Delta would be nicer of course, but not 2 or 3 times nicer,
given the used price difference. If it's in your budget though, I'm
sure you'd be better off with one of those nicer brands.

-Mike

wrote:

Thanks for any opinions.

A used Jet or Delta contractor saw.

Barry

Bob G.

Whatever you end up with, spend some dough on a nice blade. A good
combination crosscut/rip Freud blade will be around $50 or so at home depot
and is well worth every penny. Stock blades that come with saws are crap.

Frank

LOl....
I have mentioned that I "picked" up an older Rockwell/Delta
contractors saw ( to have a second TS in the shop) for ten bucks at
an auction about 2 years ago....

I am Laughing Out Loud because I forked over 5 or 6 times that amount
for a GOOD Blade for it...and I could have spent more for a Forrest

Bob Griffiths
Good deals are out there...but I rarely am in the right place at
the right time... This time I was...

table saws? simon beer UK diy 13 October 24th 03 06:20 PM
Building an extension table. Rich Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 12:11 AM