philly

Default Using Circular Saw for Cutting Concrete

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

TaskMule

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been

able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear

saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Not worth it. Rent a cutter and make life easy.

Doug Miller

In article . net, "philly" wrote:
I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

alt.home.repair would be a better place to try.

And renting a concrete saw would be a better idea.

--
Regards,

MP Toolman

Hi,
You do not day how much you have to cut. I have cut quite a bit of concrete
with a heavy duty circular saw both with abrasive blades and with diamond
blades. Works fine for small projects. In facr I bought a used Skill worm
drive saw mostly for cutting metal and masonry. Diamond blades work a lot
better for masonry but are more $.

Mill

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Roy Smith

In article . net,
"philly" wrote:

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

I've cut concrete paving stones (about 4" thick) with a diamond blade in
one of those cheap bench-top saws. I had an old one that was pretty
beat up already so I didn't mind trashing the bearings with concrete
dust. I was doing 70 feet of driveway in a herringbone pattern that
required 2 out of every 5 pavers along both edges to be cut, so that was
a lot of concrete to be cut. It was very loud and made a huge amount of
dust, but the saw (and me) survived. If I had to do a job like that
again, I would rent the right equipment, i.e. a big wet saw.

I've also put a diamond blade in a skil saw and tried the same trick on
slate. Not the normal 1" slate you get today, but huge hunks of stuff
3-4 inches thick. It worked fine. Same comments about noise and dust
apply.

Bruce

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 06:07:36 -0700, philly wrote
(in article . net):

Chances are good you'll trash the bearings in the saw, but...
I have an old B&D circular saw, the $35 dollar variety, that I have used
extensively for cutting concrete, bricks, and Hardie panel. The bearing is
shot and it makes a horrible screeching noise, but still cuts.
The abrasive discs will only last for a few feet. Best bet is to get one (or
two) of the Harbor Freight 7" dry cut diamond blades (when on sale of
course!) I have used several sizes of these and they work quite well for the
money. I think a 7" blade will cost about $9 or so.

-Bruce

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Greg O

I would not cut concrete with a good skil saw! buy a cheap POS and be
prepared to thow it away at some point! We have a mid priced saw at work
with a diamond blade in it, it works fairly well for small jobs. The
concrete dust has all but killed it, the bearngs are about shot so it is
really noisey.
Greg

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been

able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear

saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Bob G.

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:07:36 GMT, "philly"
wrote:

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

===================
Sure...a regular masonary blade in a circular saw worked fine ...BUT
it really depends on what you need to cut..and how much you need to
cut... Honestly I do not own a Worm Gear circular saw and would have
a hard time using that good a saw on concrete...

Bob Griffiths
Steve

As others have said, the asnwer really depends upon how much you have to do.

I took apart some tall slump block (solid concrete block) columns and a wall
with my aged $35 department store SkilSaw. I was hoping to kill the darned
thing (saw), but, alas, it survives. A DeWalt diamond blade still had
enough cutting life left to slice up quite a few concrete brick pavers for
the walkway once the porch wall and columns were removed.

For whatever it's worth, you can see what I'm refering to at
www.apachetrail.com/ww/house/
--
Enjoy life and *do* well by it
-- it might well be the only chance you get :-)

Steve,
http://www.ApacheTrail.com/ww/

ink.net...

philly wrote:
I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not

been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm

Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone

can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let

me
know.

philly

Yes, contrary to some other posts a worm drive will cut concrete up to
about 2 1/2" thick in 1/2" increments. Use a diamond blade, wet or dry.
Clean dust off saw when done, saw will outlive you even cutting
concrete.If you have to cut deep, rent a gasoline concrete saw, use eye
and ear protection with either saw.
mike

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I cut approx 30' at 3" deep recently to locate an in floor receptacle. The
saw worked fine
with an abrasive blade. I'm sure the diamond blade would have worked
better. If indoors,
I highly recommend building some sort of containment to keep the dust from
going all over the house.
I fashioned a single use thing from 2x4's and visqueen that I put over the
saw. Put my shop vac hose
into the enclosure and went at it. Still dusty but not as bad as it could
have been.
Just go slow.
Cheers,
cc

"philly" wrote in message
ink.net...
I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been
able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear
saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Wuzfuzde

Ah grasshopper- you ask much of the worm saw- for a few more dollars you
would be home free renting a gas operated diamond blade saw- In the
contruction trade we daily cut garages or driveways with the gasoline type and
they seldom even burp doing their task .
To give you an example a ceramic/porcelean tile can be cut -semi-
cleanly-albbiet slowly .with a chop saw and a diamond blade -but it and the
operator doesn't care for the task- .and remember this cutting is without
dealing with the stones in concrete.
No, althought it could be done a more safe procedure would be the rented saw-
thats my opinon and i ain't got no humble opinons -be well be safe and always
use more power than you need .
Xlat

I use an "everyday" 2hp Craftsman saw, and have done it a number of
times. The saw is fine, and the cutting went smooth. Used cheap
blades, they cut fine, but don't last real long before the center
"hub" gets tore up. Have probably cut 100' of concrete in the last
year with saw no worse for the wear. hth....

wrote:

I realize this may not be appropriate for this group, but have not been able
to find another. Does anyone have experience cutting concrete with a
circular saw using a concrete cutting blade? Would the Skill Worm Gear saw
and a diamond blade be the way to go? Any experiences that anyone can
share? If someone knows of another more appropriate group, please let me
know.

philly

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!