Default Insulation help..

Perhaps a little off topic...?

I was looking for some insulation to insulate a set of attic-access
stairs. I remember using something when I lived in North Carolina that
had an extremely high R-Value but was only 1.5-2" thick. It was a high
density black foam with a removable blue backing, behind which was an
adhesive of some sort. It fit perfectly underneath the steps on the
drop-down access...and provided ample insulation for an area prone to
heat loss.

Now I am living in Ottawa, Ontario and could greatly benefit from the
high R-Value and thin profile of this product. Unfortunately I can't
find anything similar in this area.

Anyone know of something similar or another good alternative to my
problem?

Thanks a million!
Corey

Matthew

For an area that big (maybe 12 sq ft or so) I would just use 2" rigid foam
insulation (like Owens Corning FOAMULAR) from a home building center. Has
to be about R-10, which is great for an area so small.

I built a couple of semipermanent insulting garage doors by sandwiching this
stuff between some OSB, and it is wonderful.

Matthew

wrote in message
oups.com...
Perhaps a little off topic...?

I was looking for some insulation to insulate a set of attic-access
stairs. I remember using something when I lived in North Carolina that
had an extremely high R-Value but was only 1.5-2" thick. It was a high
density black foam with a removable blue backing, behind which was an
adhesive of some sort. It fit perfectly underneath the steps on the
drop-down access...and provided ample insulation for an area prone to
heat loss.

Now I am living in Ottawa, Ontario and could greatly benefit from the
high R-Value and thin profile of this product. Unfortunately I can't
find anything similar in this area.

Anyone know of something similar or another good alternative to my
problem?

Thanks a million!
Corey

Chuck Hoffman

Foamular is Owens Cornings brand of extruded polystyrene, commonly called
styrofoam. A two-inch thickness provides an R-10 factor. The question is
can you get to the backs/undersides of the attic stair treads and risers to
install it?

wrote in message
[...]

batticdoor

We manufacture an insulating cover to conserve energy loss through
these stairs - you can add your desired amount of insulation and we
offer an R-50 insulating kit as well. Our website is www.batticdoor.com