R.H.

Default What is it? XL

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Scott Lurndal

"R.H." writes:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

219 looks like the male portion of one of those snap fasteners
for children's clothing.

scott
Martin Whybrow

219. Top of a dry cell (AA size?)
223. Stake for a brick layers line.
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

"R.H." wrote in message
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Gerald Clough

R.H. wrote:

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

220 looks like a semi wadcutter pistol bullet. Somewhat unusual nose.

--
Gerald Clough
"Nothing has any value, unless you know you can give it up."

GTO69RA4

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

219--top of a C-size battery?
220--wadcutter bullet, oxidized
221--broken--something like a saw set?
222--for expanding something--a type of snap ring?

GTO(John)

Joe

222 - A very strange looking set of snap ring pliers?

223 - A "pointing" device used for the cement / mortar between bricks, etc.
Possibly used by today's brickface and stucco folks to create false bricks,
etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

Roy Smith

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

219 is easy -- it's the top of a dry cell battery. Hard to tell the
size, but I'd guess a AA.

213 looks like some kind of mollusk shell.

215 looks like a pressure relief valve from a steam radiator.

217 looks like some kind of flaring tool, or maybe a grommet setter.
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

218) Tool for working on escape wheel in a watch or clock.

219) Battery terminal.

220) Cast bullet -- perhaps Minnie ball. It has been weathering
for quite a while, based on the color.

221) Detent for some sort of ratchet?

222) Tool for expanding something like perhaps a snap ring?

223) Tool for pointing mortar joints? The notches perhaps for
some measurement associated with the task?

Now -- to see what others have already answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Bruce

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:30 -0700, R.H. wrote
(in article ):

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

218. Nice looking, well built. Only thing I can think of is some form of
comparator or thickness gauge.

219. Top of a D, C, or AA battery.

220. If 3/4" long, probably a maxi or mini ball, .45 or .50 cal. No rifling
or distortion so probably unfired.

-Bruce

Frank Ketchum

Crossposted drivel?

Frank

Mark & Juanita

#218: Watchmaker's tool. Possibly a staking tool?

#219: Positive terminal of a battery, looks like maybe AA or C cell?

#220: Old lead bullet

#221: Don't know, but looks like what used to be a hole for a bolt at the
back was broken and a weld attempt made

#222: Some type of spring clamp remover?

#223: No idea -- interested in seeing what this thing is used for that has
to do with mortar or cement.
Nate Weber

"R.H." wrote in message
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

222 is a pair of pliers for opening and closing lamp chain.

Nate

--
http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000

mac davis

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:14:38 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"
wrote:

Crossposted drivel?

Frank

damn good guess... how'd you know?
Don D.

223: level line holder for mortar. put in between the joints in the blocks
on each corner, run a string all the way across for your straight line of
brick or block. When done with that coarse remove it and fill the joint.
Like the wooden blocks that hang on the edge, but more true. It can not be
bumped up or down.
Don D.

"Nate Weber" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

222 is a pair of pliers for opening and closing lamp chain.

Nate

--
http://www.Weber-Automation.net:8000

don holly

218 Watchmaker's balance truing caliper -- see
http://www.rosenet.org/metc/clktools.htm

R.H. wrote:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Justin

217 is a chain breaker, no?

-Justin

R.H. wrote:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

R.H.

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

219 is easy -- it's the top of a dry cell battery. Hard to tell the
size, but I'd guess a AA.

Yes, AA is correct.

213 looks like some kind of mollusk shell.

Not a shell but you're in the right ballpark.

215 looks like a pressure relief valve from a steam radiator.

Nope

217 looks like some kind of flaring tool, or maybe a grommet setter.

Neither of these

R.H.

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. com...
"R.H." writes:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

219 looks like the male portion of one of those snap fasteners
for children's clothing.

This one isn't part of a snap fastener.

R.H.

"Martin Whybrow" wrote in message
219. Top of a dry cell (AA size?)
223. Stake for a brick layers line.

Both of these are correct.

R.H.

"Gerald Clough" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

220 looks like a semi wadcutter pistol bullet. Somewhat unusual nose.

Yes, it's a bullet but I'm not sure what particular type of weapon it's
for.

R.H.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

218) Tool for working on escape wheel in a watch or clock.

Yes

219) Battery terminal.

Correct

220) Cast bullet -- perhaps Minnie ball. It has been weathering
for quite a while, based on the color.

Bullet is correct, not sure if it's a minnie ball.

221) Detent for some sort of ratchet?

Nope

222) Tool for expanding something like perhaps a snap ring?

Yes, but not for snap rings, but I suppose you could use it for that.

223) Tool for pointing mortar joints? The notches perhaps for
some measurement associated with the task?

I don't think this is correct.

Now -- to see what others have already answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

R.H.

"Joe" wrote in message
222 - A very strange looking set of snap ring pliers?

This one isn't for snap rings.

223 - A "pointing" device used for the cement / mortar between bricks,

etc.
Possibly used by today's brickface and stucco folks to create false

bricks,

I don't think this is correct.

R.H.

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:30 -0700, R.H. wrote
(in article ):

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

218. Nice looking, well built. Only thing I can think of is some form of
comparator or thickness gauge.

Nope

219. Top of a D, C, or AA battery.

Yes, AA type

220. If 3/4" long, probably a maxi or mini ball, .45 or .50 cal. No

rifling
or distortion so probably unfired.

It's a bullet but I'm not sure what type, calling it a maxi or mini "ball"
seems like an odd name for it.

R.H.

"don holly" wrote in message
218 Watchmaker's balance truing caliper -- see
http://www.rosenet.org/metc/clktools.htm

Yes, thanks for the link

R.H.

"Nate Weber" wrote in message
"R.H." wrote in message
Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

222 is a pair of pliers for opening and closing lamp chain.

Correct, it's a pair of chain pliers.

R.H.

"Don D." wrote in message
newsWBwd.35939$ve.31347@fed1read06...
223: level line holder for mortar. put in between the joints in the blocks
on each corner, run a string all the way across for your straight line of
brick or block. When done with that coarse remove it and fill the joint.
Like the wooden blocks that hang on the edge, but more true. It can not be
bumped up or down.
Don D.

I believe this is correct.

R.H.

"Justin" wrote in message
oups.com...
217 is a chain breaker, no?

Correct. Looks like they've all been solved except for number 221.

R.H.

#218: Watchmaker's tool. Possibly a staking tool?

Watchmaker's tool is correct.

#219: Positive terminal of a battery, looks like maybe AA or C cell?

Yes, AA is right

#220: Old lead bullet

Correct.

#221: Don't know, but looks like what used to be a hole for a bolt at the
back was broken and a weld attempt made

#222: Some type of spring clamp remover?

Nope

#223: No idea -- interested in seeing what this thing is used for that has
to do with mortar or cement.

Wayne Cook

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:59:08 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
roups.com...
217 is a chain breaker, no?

Correct. Looks like they've all been solved except for number 221.

I'm betting that 221 is part of a saw set. But part of it's missing
where it's broken.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

It's a bullet but I'm not sure what type, calling it a maxi or mini "ball"
seems like an odd name for it.

The Minie ball was neither mini nor a ball. It was invented by a guy
named Minie, and looks pretty much like what you have. The base
should be hollow.

John

Truncated CONE cast lead handgun bullet, probably in .40cal or
larger and probably in 45acp

Supposely feeds better in semi auto handguns than wadcutter or
semi-wadcutter and still cuts a nice clean hole in a paper target

John

R.H. wrote:

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

220 looks like a semi wadcutter pistol bullet. Somewhat unusual nose.

Yes, it's a bullet but I'm not sure what particular type of weapon it's
for.

B.B.

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

Just added some new photos and answers to the last set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

213. Scalp of an albino with a terrible hair transplant that fell out.
214. Ancient keg tap.
215. Oh my god, I can't believe you posted such a thing!
216. World's most tedious lawnmower. Ever.
217. Beernut sheller.
218. Classified--found in Area 51.
219. Janet Jackson's mecha-nipple.
220. Thimble casting core.
221. Anvil from a dent factory.
222. Jack for lowriders.
223. Hillbilly toothpick.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Fred R

Very Good! I always enjoy your answers more than the real ones - just
what the doctor ordered for Friday evening.

--
Fred R
________________
Gerald Clough

Matthew Russotto wrote:

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

It's a bullet but I'm not sure what type, calling it a maxi or mini "ball"
seems like an odd name for it.

The Minie ball was neither mini nor a ball. It was invented by a guy
named Minie, and looks pretty much like what you have. The base
should be hollow.

I don't think it's so old as to be US Civil War. In fact, the nose looks
quite modern sort of wadcutter, rather than early 20th century. The base
looks older. As you say, the base will tell if it's a Minie. For those
who don't know, the useful feature of the Minie was that, while it was
small enough to pass easily down the barrel when loaded from the muzzle,
the hollow base expanded to engage the rifling, or at least seal
tightly. Similar looking pistol bullets, without the deep hollow, were
also made for cartridge loading. The unusual thing about this one,
compared to most older wadcutters, is the straight slope of the bullet
and the fact that it's set rather far in from the edge.

--
Gerald Clough
"Nothing has any value, unless you know you can give it up."

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:30 -0700, R.H. wrote
(in article ):

[ ... ]

220. If 3/4" long, probably a maxi or mini ball, .45 or .50 cal. No

rifling
or distortion so probably unfired.

It's a bullet but I'm not sure what type, calling it a maxi or mini "ball"
seems like an odd name for it.

Not sure about a "Maxi" ball, but a "Minnie" (not "mini" ball is
named after the inventor. A projectile used in the Civil war era to
replace the previous bullets, which were round balls. The term "ball"
continued for some time after that, even applying to 38 special revolver
cartridges and 45 ACP cartridges during WWII. The Minnie ball (it
really needs an accent somewhere which I am not prepared to add) had a
hollow base. It was easily slid down on top of the power with the
ramrod, and when fired, it expanded to grip the rifling more firmly.

I had already suggested a bullet with a Minnie ball as a
possibility, and the way to tell is to look at the bottom. If it is
flat, it was a more recent cast lead bullet. If it has a significant
cavity in the base, it is more likely to be a Minnie ball, though I
believe that the outer surface is normally smoothly curved, not stepped
as this one is.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
DoN. Nichols wrote:

replace the previous bullets, which were round balls. The term "ball"
continued for some time after that, even applying to 38 special revolver
cartridges and 45 ACP cartridges during WWII.

It persists today, but refers to fully-jacketed (not hollowpoint or
soft nose) ammunition, which the Minie wasn;t.

Badger

220

44-40 wcf, similar to Lyman #20098

Niel.
R.H.

[...]

Thanks for the information, I'll have to do some research on this one. I
added another photo showing the bottom, it is hollow and about 1/2" deep:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

R.H.

"Justin" wrote in message
roups.com...
217 is a chain breaker, no?

Correct. Looks like they've all been solved except for number 221.

I'm betting that 221 is part of a saw set. But part of it's missing
where it's broken.

Correct, it's a saw set.

R.H.

"Badger" wrote in message
220

44-40 wcf, similar to Lyman #20098

Niel.

It is similar to Lyman #20098 as seen on the page below, though it's not
quite an exact match. I would guess that these would be solid and not
hollow on the bottom.

http://www.black-powder.com/BPC%20su...ulletMolds.htm