Homer Bruno

Default Cork pop guns

I've made a few cork pop guns using a PCV pipe and a dowel with an O ring to
ensure a tight fit. But I need advise as to the proper lubricant to prevent
the thing from sticking.
Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I thank you for your help.

alexy

"Homer Bruno" wrote:

Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I wonder how long it will take this thread to go off topic? Whoops! I
think it just did!

PS How can the people in Kentucky eat that stuff?

John

Try Dow Corning 111 silicon grease

Works for YEARS to lubricate orings in scuba gear, but probably should
be re-lubed yearly

John

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:53:32 -0500, "Homer Bruno"
wrote:

I've made a few cork pop guns using a PCV pipe and a dowel with an O ring to
ensure a tight fit. But I need advise as to the proper lubricant to prevent
the thing from sticking.
Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I thank you for your help.

Bob McConnell

wrote:

I've made a few cork pop guns using a PCV pipe and a dowel with an O ring to
ensure a tight fit. But I need advise as to the proper lubricant to prevent
the thing from sticking.
Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I thank you for your help.

Petroleum based lubricants will break down or break down the rubber
O-ring. Try silicon lubricants. They last longer without decomposing.
You should be able to get silicon based grease at any auto parts
outlet.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Silvan

alexy wrote:

"Homer Bruno" wrote:

Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I wonder how long it will take this thread to go off topic? Whoops! I
think it just did!

PS How can the people in Kentucky eat that stuff?

I don't know. It tastes terrible. DAMHIKT.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Homer Bruno

To John and Bob- Thank you

Dan Valleskey

It has a little bit to do with how tight the O-ring fits the pipe.
Try machining down the groove that holds the O-ring, than if you get
too much leakage, try a second O-ring, in parallel to the first.

And use silicone grease.

Make sense?

-Dan

wrote:

I've made a few cork pop guns using a PCV pipe and a dowel with an O ring to
ensure a tight fit. But I need advise as to the proper lubricant to prevent
the thing from sticking.
Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I thank you for your help.

Jay Pique

Silvan wrote:

alexy wrote:

"Homer Bruno" wrote:

Vaseline and KY Jelly work fine for a while but soon lose their
effectiveness.

I wonder how long it will take this thread to go off topic? Whoops! I
think it just did!

PS How can the people in Kentucky eat that stuff?

I don't know. It tastes terrible. DAMHIKT.

DAMHIYT?! I wouldn't listen if you told me!!!!

JP
Signfelledian.
Silvan

Jay Pique wrote:

I don't know. It tastes terrible. DAMHIKT.

DAMHIYT?! I wouldn't listen if you told me!!!!

Well, since you asked... Once upon a time...