Gunner

Default ot- Gun Laws in Australia

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/ps99/rpt/.../99-r-0824.htm

Gun Laws in Australia

[Comments of
All questions directed toward the Government of Australia.]
-
August 23, 1999
99-R-0824
AUSTRALIA'S GUN LAWS

By: Veronica Rose, Principal Analyst

You asked for a brief outline of Australia's gun laws. (We have summarized the
major provisions of the 1996 Firearms Act, which subsequently became law. We
were unable to ascertain if any of the summarized provisions were amended. For
brevity, we have omitted all penalties.)

SUMMARY

The act:

1. bans the use and possession of automatic guns and self-loading rifles and
shotguns;

[Can someone give a list of examples?]

2. with certain exceptions, requires anyone who owns a gun to get a license and
anyone acquiring a gun to get a permit;

[Can we eliminate one form by combining the two forms, and reduce government,
by firing 30 percent of the paper pushers, needed to handle the
paperwork/labor, this system/process is generating?] [IMHO AU Governmnet is
hout of hand.]

3. requires license applicants to establish (a.) "genuine reasons," and
(b.)license and permit applicants to be deemed "fit and proper," to acquire and
possess guns and meet other criteria;
(a.)
[Define acceptable "genuine reasons":
1. I have the right to self protection.
2. I have the right and duty to overthrow a corrupt and oppressive government.
3. I want one.]

(b.)
[Who, what or how is, the determination of "fit and proper" made?
Is it by age, IQ, political party, social standing, religion, race, money,
citizenship, residency, profession, criminal record, military duty...? ]

4. allows a licensee to use a gun only for the reason it was licensed;
[And a list of those reasons might be what?
Do I a need separate license for each reason?
]

5. requires people to register their guns in a national computerized database;
makes it illegal to sell, buy, have, or use unregistered guns; and allows gun
sales and transfers only through licensed gun dealers;
[Can I make guns?
What happens while I am manufacturing and processing my hand made guns?
Do you know how easy it is to make one, legally or illegally?
Do you realize, that only law-abiding citizens obey the laws, while crimianls
ignore the laws, and that for a law-abiding citizen to protect themselves from
criminals, you now require them to choose between being a criminal or a victim?

][see "reasonable excuse clauses below.]

6. allows the gun registrar to prohibit unfit people from possessing guns;
[Who is the registrar, and what criteria determine fitness to possess a gun?
NOTE: Mere possession can be for the few minutes needed to take a gun from a
body, and fire in self defense or defense of others. Say what if a cop is found
wounded, and the shooter comes back, can I shoot? Is there a number I can call
to get real-time permission?][see "reasonable excuse clauses below.]

7. allows the registrar, after an investigation, to cancel a license or permit
[Is this by trial, inquiry, or kangaroo court, if you will pardon my pun?]

8. allows doctors to inform the registrar of any patient whose medical
condition makes him unfit to possess guns;
[Seems fair, but please keep records of the doctors, and how they adminsiter
that authority.]

9. sets minimum gun storage standards; and
[Seems fair, I wouldn't want my guns to get lost or stolen, but in some
situations, I would like to be able to keep it loaded and ready, rather than
ahve to bother my assailant for a few moments of courtesy, while I unlock the
box, and load the gun, so I can protect myself and others.]
[see "reasonable excuse clauses below.]

10. allows police officers to seize, with or without warrants, guns they
believe are stored unsafely or connected with violations.
[Seems fair, can I get a receipt?]

The act exempts, among others, police officers, members of the military and
cadet corps, prison officers performing their duties, and diplomats and
consular officers with appropriate written approval. It allows aggrieved
parties to appeal to an administrative appeals tribunal.

[What if an exempted person, is suspected, accused or found guilty, of a
violent crime, i.e. spouse abuse, rape, child abuse; or is subject to a
temporary restraining order; or is under investigation of a service-connected
shooting?]

OBJECTIVES OF THE GUN LAWS

The laws' objectives are to (1) ban the possession and use of automatic guns,
except in special circumstances; (2) establish an integrated gun licensing and
registration scheme; (3) require people to have genuine reasons for having and
using guns; (4) provide strict requirements for licensing, acquiring, and
selling guns; and (5) ensure that guns are stored safely. Under the law, gun
possession and use are privileges "conditional on the overriding need to ensure
public safety" (Section 3).

[Under the laws of God, every person has the right and authority to protect and
defend themselves, and a duty to defend others, from harm, this ensures public
safety and deters an oppressive government. Government, gets its
conditional-authority to govern, from the people, and the people, can at
anytime revoke that authority.]
[see "reasonable excuse clauses below.]

BANNED GUNS

The act, with minor exceptions, bans military style self-loading centrefire
rifles; self-loading and pump action shotguns; and any other type of
self-loading rifles. It allows these guns to be used only in exceptional
circumstances by the military, police, some occupational shooters (including
farmers), and a very restricted group of clay target shooters.

[I always wanted a farm. What defines a farm, in Australia?]

GUN LICENSES AND PERMITS

With exemptions, anyone owning a gun must have a license, and anyone acquiring
a gun must have a permit. There is a 28-day waiting period for both.

[So by this logic, I can own a gun, but not be in possesion of it, but the
person in possession of it, must have a permit? Hunh?
Or is it that I need a permit per gun? Ok now I think I understand it. The
license authorizes ownership of guns (plural), while the permit records the
transfer of possession. See I am not as think as you dumb I am.]

Genuine Reason Required to Own Gun. To qualify for a gun license, an applicant
must show a genuine reason for owning, possessing, or using guns[OPU]. He can
only use the gun for the reason he got the license.

[Pardon me, but I see a "logic loop" there. So, that would need some
clarification.]

An applicant has a genuine reason for possessing a gun if he wants it for (1)
sport or target shooting and is a member of an approved club; (2) recreational
hunting or vermin control and has written permission from the landowner; or (3)
use in connection with an occupational requirement such as farming, vertebrate
pest control, security services, animal welfare, or professional shooting. A
bona fide gun collector can also get a license. Self defense and property
protection are not genuine reasons (Section 23).

[OK, I see three reasons for OPU of guns, I'd guess it is possible to combine
them, using the words "and/or". I also would guess the courts/juries, would
have to decide if, if using the gun for self defense and property protection,
were appropriate - but considering they would be "Monday morning
quarterbacking, with blinders and 20/20 hindsight, pray they find in my favor.]
[see "reasonable excuse clauses below.]

For licensure purposes, guns are grouped into categories, each with
restrictions. (For example, in order to get a category C gun license, an
applicant must not only establish a genuine reason, but he must also show
special need and produce evidence that this is the only way to meet the need.
Category C guns include self-loading rimfire rifles and self-loading shotguns
below a certain magazine capacity.)

License Eligibility Criteria. License applicants must be at least age 18
(Section 21). First-time applicants must complete prescribed gun training and
safety courses.

The registrar must find applicants fit and proper. He must consider, among
other things, if (1) the applicant's physical or mental state is likely to
endanger himself or anyone else; (2) the applicant was released from prison or
subject to a restraining or protective order in the past 10 years; and (3) the
applicant can store his gun safely and securely.

The registrar must deny a license if (1) reasonable grounds exist to believe
that the applicant may not exercise continuous and responsible control over the
gun because of his lifestyle or domestic circumstances; (2) issuing the license
would be contrary to the public interest; (3) the applicant, in the past 10
years, was subject to a restraining or domestic violence protection order or
convicted of a firearm or violent offense; or (4) the applicant is subject to a
gun prohibition order. The registrar may provide other mandatory or
discretionary grounds in regulations for denying a license (Sections 21 and
22).

License Suspension and Cancellation. The registrar must suspend a license if he
has reasonable grounds for believing that the licensee has been charged with a
domestic violence offense or committed or threatened to commit such an offense
(Section 39). A license is automatically suspended if the licensee is subject
to an interim domestic violence order. It is automatically cancelled if the
licensee becomes subject to a firearms prohibition order or a domestic violence
order (Sections 40 and 41).

A license may be cancelled (1) on any grounds on which it could have been
denied; (2) if the licensee knowingly gave false or misleading information,
violates the act, regulations, or license conditions; (3) if the registrar
believes the licensee is no longer fit; or (4) for any other prescribed reasons
(Section 41).

License Conditions. The applicant must agree to comply with the legal safe
storage requirements, give details of the gun storage arrangements, and agree
to allow the police to inspect the storage area. A license is not transferable.
It is valid for five years (Section 36).

Gun Permits. Anyone who wants to acquire a gun must get a permit. A separate
permit is required for each gun. Applicants must generally meet criteria
similar to those for license applicants.

The registrar must deny a permit if it would be contrary to the public
interest, and he may suspend or revoke one for the same grounds on which he can
deny it. He may provide other mandatory or discretionary grounds for denial in
regulations.

The permit is valid for 30 days or until the permittee gets the gun (Section
48).

GUN REGISTRATION

A national gun registry is responsible for keeping track of gun owners and
guns. Gun owners must register their guns with the registry. If a registered
gun is sold, lost, or stolen, the person in whose name the gun is registered
must report this to the police within seven days (Section 54). Gun registry
information is not available to the public.

People cannot, without reasonable excuse, sell, buy, use, or have unregistered
guns (Section 53). They can buy or sell registered guns only through licensed
gun dealers. And licensed gun dealers cannot repair unregistered guns.

GUN PROHIBITION ORDERS

The gun registrar may issue an order prohibiting a person from possessing guns
if he believes this is in the public interest or the person is unfit (Section
111).

CIVILIAN COMPLAINTS

Anyone may complain to the registrar about any matter arising out of a
registration or the issuance of a license or permit. And the registrar, after
investigating, may cancel the license or permit (Section 120).

DISCLOSURE BY DOCTORS OF CERTAIN INFORMATION

A doctor can inform the registrar that a patient is unsuitable to possess a gun
because of his mental condition or because he is suicidal or would pose a
threat to public safety. The doctor cannot be held civilly or criminally liable
for his actions (Section 115).

GUN STORAGE REQUIREMENTS

Gun owners must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that their guns are
stored safely, so as to prevent them from being lost or stolen or falling into
the hands of unauthorized people (Section 62). Depending on the category into
which the gun falls, it must be stored in a locked hardwood or steel safe fixed
to a building. Ammunition must be kept in a separate locked container.

[If I have a rifle case and a pistol case, and keep a pistol in a pistol case,
a rifle in the rifle case, can I keep rifle ammuniton in the pistol case, and
pistol ammunition in the rifle case? ]

SEARCH AND SEIZURE

Police officers may conduct warrantless searches and judges may issue warrants
to conduct searches on reasonable grounds or suspicion that guns connected to
crimes may be found in the possession of people or on vehicles or vessels
(Section 75).

MISCELLANEOUS

People cannot:

1. without reasonable excuse, have guns in or near a street or public place or
discharge guns in, near, or onto a street or public place without the
registrar's written approval (Section 80

2. without reasonable excuse, have guns so as to endanger others (Section 80);

3. fire guns across occupied land without appropriate written approval;

4. carry guns with disregard for their own or safety or that of other people
(Section 82);

5. carry guns while under the influence of alcohol or drugs (Section 97); or

6. transfer unsafe guns without appropriate warnings (Section 104).

EXEMPTIONS

The act exempts (1) police officers; (2) members of the military and the cadet
corps, (3) prison officers performing their duties; (4) members of the Council
of the Australian War Memorial and the National Museum of Australia while
performing their duties; (4) people possessing or using in the course of their
duties guns that the law requires to be carried on ships or aircrafts; (5)
people carrying guns to get instruction at approved ranges; (6) people carrying
air guns for the purpose of shooting at a shooting gallery, show, fair or
amusement center; (7) officials with starting pistols at sporting competitions
conducted by prescribed sporting organizations; (8) authorized instructors
performing their functions at approved clubs or firing ranges; and (9)
diplomats and consular officers with appropriate written approval (Section 6).

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
brain death

one wonders whether the drivel posted by this imbecile is merely a childish
troll, or whether he actually believes this stuff.............if so maybe he
hasnt been taking his medication!

"Gunner" wrote in message

[...]

Nick Hull

In article ,
"A.Gent" wrote:

As an Australian voter, I represent the government of Australia.
My answer to your queries:

Shrug.

If you don't like 'em, move here, naturalise, and vote us out.

Otherwise...

Otherwise wait for the chinese/indonesians to invade and change the
political system.....

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

A.Gent

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"A.Gent" wrote:

As an Australian voter, I represent the government of Australia.
My answer to your queries:

Shrug.

If you don't like 'em, move here, naturalise, and vote us out.

Otherwise...

Otherwise wait for the chinese/indonesians to invade and change the
political system.....

Sigghhhh....
That old one again.
Why spend all the money on invasion, when the same end is being achieved by
immigration?

Oh - and - I'm not just talking *Australia* here, O "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

Jeff R.

Joel. Corwith

"brain death" wrote in message
one wonders whether the drivel posted by this imbecile is merely a

childish
troll, or whether he actually believes this stuff.............if so maybe

he
hasnt been taking his medication!

Hmmm, one wonders about the imbecile that reposts the dribble in it's
entirety.

Joel. phx

"Gunner" wrote in message

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/ps99/rpt/.../99-r-0824.htm

Gun Laws in Australia

geoff merryweather

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:24:10 +1000, "A.Gent"
wrote:

As an Australian voter, I represent the government of Australia.
My answer to your queries:

Shrug.

If you don't like 'em, move here, naturalise, and vote us out.

Like there is a difference between the major parties? If there was a
realistic choice, you may have a point. Furthermore, the extremely
biased Australian media ensures no fair debate or pro-gun views are
aired. Have a read of some of the stories when the first round of
confiscation was aired...
Geoff
--
You can deal with the devil, he at least keeps his word, but if you
deal with the government, you deserve whatever befalls you.
Old Nick

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:09:52 +1000, "A.Gent"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Each to their own, my friend.
Our legislators follow the will of the people, or they get voted out.

HAH! CRAP!

If we have gun laws you don't like, its because we, as voters, demanded them.
If we didn't like them, they wouldn't be there.
Thats how it works.

I repeat....

If you reckon Australia is run on the basis that the laws are there
because most people want them, you are sadly mistaken.

If you think that the Australian people vote for or against a govt
because of its laws, you are mistaken.

There have been very, very few laws repealed because of a change of
Govt in Australia.
The Met Bureau is LOVE!

A.Gent

"Old Nick" wrote in message

I repeat....

If you reckon Australia is run on the basis that the laws are there
because most people want them, you are sadly mistaken.

Why do the parties spend so much on, and pay so much attention to, opinion polls?

If you think that the Australian people vote for or against a govt
because of its laws, you are mistaken.

What criteria do they choose then? The bushiest eyebrows?

There have been very, very few laws repealed because of a change of
Govt in Australia.

....and very very many laws enacted because of popular pressure.

BTW, Nick, I'm referring to the general population. The *majority*. If this doesn't
include you, then tough.

The Met Bureau is LOVE!

Uh huh.