Joe Bleau

Default table saw

I'm looking for a secondary table saw to go with my 15-year-old
Unisaw. Want to spend the minimum but every inexpensive (under $600)
saw I've looked at has a crappy looking trunion and is driven by a
single belt. What's the least expensive quality (cast trunion--3-belt
drive) saw on the market today. Any suggestions appreciated.

Joe.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I'm looking for a secondary table saw to go with my 15-year-old
Unisaw. Want to spend the minimum but every inexpensive (under $600)
saw I've looked at has a crappy looking trunion and is driven by a
single belt. What's the least expensive quality (cast trunion--3-belt
drive) saw on the market today. Any suggestions appreciated.

Joe.

What you want is the features of a Unisaw but only want to spend $600. The
Chinese and WalMart will just love you.

What about that new Craftsman saw that is getting good reviews?

Joe Bleau

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:26:24 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

What you want is the features of a Unisaw but only want to spend $600. The
Chinese and WalMart will just love you.

What about that new Craftsman saw that is getting good reviews?

Well, since they (the Taiwanese) now own Powermatic and most old-line
U.S. manufacturers are producing a large part of what they sell here
over there I don't see that it makes much difference. Everything now
comes from Asia. I heard that Wallmart buys 18 billion (that's
billion) dollars worth of goods annually in China. We went over there
looking for cheap labor, provided them with our technology, and now
they are making everything we buy. I am just waiting for them to
start producing passenger planes that compete with Boeing.

Nobody really gives a crap about America any more. If they did our
country would not be flooded with illegal immigrants. Politicians on
both sides avoid the issue like the plague because they are afraid of
losing a few votes. Meanwhile the American people clamor that
something be done. They've been clamoring for years and the number of
illegals just keeps mounting. I know I'm off topic but your remark
about the Chinese just got me started thinking.

Joe
Charlie Self

Joe Bleau writes:

Well, since they (the Taiwanese) now own Powermatic and most old-line
U.S. manufacturers are producing a large part of what they sell here
over there I don't see that it makes much difference.

Funny. I thought WMH (Powermatic's owner) was European--Swiss IIRC.

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Funny. I thought WMH (Powermatic's owner) was European--Swiss IIRC.

One of:

1) Don't confuse me with facts when my mind's made up.
2) I read this somewhere. Ok, first I wrote it and then I read it.
3) I took Geography from an American Public School.

Charlie Self

Joe Bleau writes:

I would really like to know who really does own PM.

Check out the web site.

A dealer told me
they had been bought by a Far Eastern consortium.

Dealer in what? He's trying to sell you something else, right?

I had an old
Model 66 cabinet saw years ago and loved it. About 15 years ago when
I decided to buy an 8-inch long-bed joiner I ordered a Powermatic. It
came and I immediately returned it. It was indeed a piece of crap. I
bought, instead, a Delta. I believed it's called a J-20.

The Powermatic of 15 years ago was an American company.

Now I need another cabinet saw or contractor's saw
and the ones I've looked at the Borgs all have a single belt and poor
trunions, hence my post.

Cabinet saws don't have single belts, to my knowledge. The newest Craftsman is
close to a cabinet saw (large trunnions, cabinet mounted), and uses a single
belt, but it's a multi groove poly belt, very thin but about 1" wide.

Someone mentioned Bridgewood as the heaviest duty saw recently, and sent me
some photos with the top popped the present the case very strongly. You might
want to check Wilke Machinery for that (www.wilkemachinery.com).

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill
Hank Gillette

In article ,
Joe Bleau wrote:

Nobody really gives a crap about America any more. If they did our
country would not be flooded with illegal immigrants. Politicians on
both sides avoid the issue like the plague because they are afraid of
losing a few votes. Meanwhile the American people clamor that
something be done. They've been clamoring for years and the number of
illegals just keeps mounting. I know I'm off topic but your remark
about the Chinese just got me started thinking.

Chance are the same people who are clamoring for something to be done
are the same ones who like paying less for their produce in the grocery
store, like getting cheaper clothing made in a sweatshop (either
overseas or here), and maybe hire an illegal alien to clean their house
or work in their garden.

Illegal aliens are here because they are filling a need. They are taking
jobs that few Americans are willing to do at the price that the
employers are paying. It's a problem, but it's not one with an easy
answer.

--
Hank Gillette
Cherokee-LTD

Have a look at the General International 50-185
http://www.general.ca/product/inter/50175anspe.html
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_To...splay_~reviews
I don't think you'll find a better value for the money.
The upsides: outstanding finish, comes with 2 full cast wings, great fence,
quite, smooth operation.
The downsides: not a great manual, no micro adjustment on the fence.
I will be buying one when 'working in the garage weather' returns.

-Brian

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
: I'm looking for a secondary table saw to go with my 15-year-old
: Unisaw. Want to spend the minimum but every inexpensive (under $600)
: saw I've looked at has a crappy looking trunion and is driven by a
: single belt. What's the least expensive quality (cast trunion--3-belt
: drive) saw on the market today. Any suggestions appreciated.
:
: Joe.

RonB

If you can raise your price range a bit, take a look at the Grizzly 1023s.
It will be a lot like owning a second Unisaw for about $830 plus shipping.
If that is too much, look at some of the Grizzly contractor's saws. All
good solid machines and Griz offers great customer support.

RonB

Bob G.

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:51:59 -0500, Joe Bleau wrote:

I'm looking for a secondary table saw to go with my 15-year-old
Unisaw. Want to spend the minimum but every inexpensive (under $600)
saw I've looked at has a crappy looking trunion and is driven by a
single belt. What's the least expensive quality (cast trunion--3-belt
drive) saw on the market today. Any suggestions appreciated.

Joe.

=============================

Depends on what you plan on using that secondary saw for...and it also
sounds like you want another Cabinet Saw that is ewqual to your
Unisaw?

I run a Jet Cabinet saw as my primary saw...BUT picked up an
older (labeled Delta/Rockwell...so it ain't new by any means)
contractor saw ...

Paid a whopping ten (read 10) bucks for it a few years ago at an
auction where my wife and everyone else were bidding on household
items and knick-knacks.etc...

The saw was complete BUT honest to God...had a MASORARY
installed.......but for 10 bucks....... what the heck.. !!!!
Actually I said only 3 words to myself and those were Not the 3 ...
last word was different, but still only had 4 letters... !

Anyway a few evenings later and with an old WW blade on the saw it it
was running fine...and true..!!!

I mounted a sled on the saw and now use it for cross cutting 99
percent of the time...at other times MY Dado blade is on the saw and
ready to use

It is my secondary saw...and no it is not an industrial class
Cabinet saw but it does what I need ...

Bob Griffiths

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:51:59 -0500, Joe Bleau wrote:

I'm looking for a secondary table saw to go with my 15-year-old
Unisaw.

Second Unisaw. Obviously.