Ken Adams

Default Buying a bench grinder

What are some of the things one needs to consider when buying a bench
grinder? I prefer not to spend a whole lot, I won't be doing any heavy
fabrication or anything, just something for the shop for them odd sharpening
or cutting jobs.

Thanks

robdingnagian1

Ken Adams wrote:
What are some of the things one needs to consider when buying a bench

grinder? I prefer not to spend a whole lot, I won't be doing any

heavy
fabrication or anything, just something for the shop for them odd

sharpening
or cutting jobs.

Thanks

For sharpening, get a slow speed. 1725 rpm or slower. Most grinders at
Sears and Home Depot are in the 3450rpm range.

I'm looking for a good 7 to 8" slow speed grinder too. I have two 12"
2hp 3phase grinders already. They are both pedestal grinders. They'll
rough away a lot of material and never complain.

Apparently, the 7" radius wheel has the appropriate arc for sharpening.
I have a lot of 8" wheels. I'm not sure how well they will work, but I
do prefer them for their 1" width to most of what you can find on
smaller grinders.

Woodcraft has a nice slow speed grinder on sale. It comes with white
aluminum oxide wheels if I recall correctly. These are better for
sharpening than the grey ones. It is eight inch. Be right back. Here it
is:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...=&URLChe ck=1

Its an eight inch which uses 1" wide wheels. It comes equipped with two
different grit white wheels and spins at 1725.

I might have to get one myself. You can pick up a grinder pedestal at
Sears for about $30.00.
Good luck and I look forward to more qualified responses.

Eric T

robdingnagian1

Sorry about the link last time. Cut it off after the family_id=4605

Try this.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...family_id=4605

Ba r r y

On 9 Dec 2004 16:46:46 -0800, "robdingnagian1"
wrote:

Sorry about the link last time. Cut it off after the family_id=4605

Try this.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...family_id=4605

Put it in brackets:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_id=4605&mscssid=E321B47A 9AEB45E7B1414218E47DB930&Gift=false&GiftID=&URLChe ck=1

Barry

CW

14 inch wheels are a little spendy, aren't they?

"robdingnagian1" wrote in message
Apparently, the 7" radius wheel has the appropriate arc for sharpening.

William

"CW" wrote in message
14 inch wheels are a little spendy, aren't they?

Yes they are, about $150-200 each (for my grinder 14"X3") depending on the
grit. But they do last a LONG time!
William....