Default testing for sharpness

I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Woodcrafter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Sounds a bit dangerous if you don't know what you are doing there.
I prefer just to try the common method of slicing off strips of paper with
the blade.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 60 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Festool CT22E Dust Extractor
- Fasco GN-40A Brad Nailer
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction
- Milescraft SignCrafter

mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

I always seem to have patchy arm hair....bad habit I picked up from a knife
and sword-making buddy of mine.

Tom Dacon

Rather than dragging anything that belongs to you along the blade, turn the
blade crosswise to your thumbnail and, with the blade at about a ten degree
angle from square to your thumbnail, just drop the blade down onto the nail
gently, moving it slightly toward you. If it's truly sharp it will catch on
the nail; it it's anything less than sharp it will skid.

Tom Dacon

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 23:30:29 GMT, "mark" wrote:

I always seem to have patchy arm hair....bad habit I picked up from a knife
and sword-making buddy of mine.

Knifemaker's Mange. Confused the hell out of my acupuncturist. She
thought it was an iron deficiency, but I explained that was one
mineral I certainly wasn't short of.

Mr. Moose

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:52:26 +1000, "Woodcrafter"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Sounds a bit dangerous if you don't know what you are doing there.
I prefer just to try the common method of slicing off strips of paper with
the blade.

In which direction? I like to go in the plane of the paper, myself.

Mark
mac davis

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:45:41 GMT, Mr. Moose
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:52:26 +1000, "Woodcrafter"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Sounds a bit dangerous if you don't know what you are doing there.
I prefer just to try the common method of slicing off strips of paper with
the blade.

In which direction? I like to go in the plane of the paper, myself.

Mark

I think he meant a crosscut..
I don't think a blade is sharp until it will resaw paper..
Steve Knight

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 16:12:42 -0800, "Tom Dacon" wrote:

Rather than dragging anything that belongs to you along the blade, turn the
blade crosswise to your thumbnail and, with the blade at about a ten degree
angle from square to your thumbnail, just drop the blade down onto the nail
gently, moving it slightly toward you. If it's truly sharp it will catch on
the nail; it it's anything less than sharp it will skid.

works the same with a plastic ball point pen. the steeper you can get the knife
to catch the sharper it is.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
bw

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Asked my barber this same question. He's over 70 and I assumed he would know
something about keeping a blade pretty sharp. He showed me by putting the
blade at an angle on the top of the thumbnail. Adjusting the angle until it
just stopped sliding. Also showed me his arkansas stone, and that when
barbers purchased a blade, it came fully sharpeded and that all the barber
had to do was use the leather to keep it that way.

George

If you're going to cut wood, why not test across the endgrain of a nice pine
scrap? Shine = sharp.

Oh yes, cutting resistance is also a good indicator when using this process.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Dave W

To test carving tools for sharpness, nothing beats trying them on a piece of
wood. Across the grain you can see where more work is needed. The best way
to sharpen a knife to cut rope is on concrete. This makes a really terrible
edge (for woodworking) but leaves plenty of teeth for severing the rope
fibers.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Swingman

"Dave W" wrote in message
To test carving tools for sharpness, nothing beats trying them on a piece

of
wood.

What!? ... and then have to go through all that sharpening crap all over
again?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Steve Knight

What!? ... and then have to go through all that sharpening crap all over
again?

(G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Woodcrafter wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I watched a show on the tube where they were sharpening knives and then
using the fleshy parts of their thumbs and fingers to test for
sharpness. My Dad could somehow make anything sharp enough to shave
with, and taught me to drag the end of my fingernail lightly along the
edge, a slight resistance meaning scary sharp.

Sounds a bit dangerous if you don't know what you are doing there.
I prefer just to try the common method of slicing off strips of paper with
the blade.

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews

Yeah, it's surprising how many people prefer to slice off strips of
their fingers instead.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Silvan

Steve Knight wrote:

The sharper the steel the more effort it takes to cut meat. this seems
weird but you need bigger teeth on the edge to grab meat and such. I had
learned this when I got my first handmade Japanese kitchen knife. I
sharpened it to 8000 and it was sharp. it fell through a spud but you had
to saw meat with it. took it down to 1000 grit and man it cut meat like
crazy.

I think Leonard Lee explained this phenomenon in his sharpening book, but I
can't remember the explanation.

You're absolutely right though. A knife that's sharp enough to shave DNA
out of a hair cell won't cut meat worth a damn. Meat knives need some
tooth. Tomato knives too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Steve Knight

I think Leonard Lee explained this phenomenon in his sharpening book, but I
can't remember the explanation.

You're absolutely right though. A knife that's sharp enough to shave DNA
out of a hair cell won't cut meat worth a damn. Meat knives need some
tooth. Tomato knives too.

because courser teeth have less surface touching so they grab better.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

PAT Testing costs Andy Dingley UK diy 14 November 25th 04 10:53 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM