tony stramella

Default TABLE SAW

I am in the near future going to purchase a new table saw.I have limited
space and was thinking of buying one of Sears cabinet saws.Can anyone
give advice on this subject. I have around $600.00 to spend.
tony

tony1158

Hi, I just bought a new Griz Cab. saw, 1023s, love it. Could check there
cont. saws out.

Tony

--
Mountan Talk:

Parts-Area or neighborhood "What's he
doin' in these parts"?
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:58:46 -0500, (tony
stramella) wrote:

I am in the near future going to purchase a new table saw.I have limited
space and was thinking of buying one of Sears cabinet saws.Can anyone
give advice on this subject. I have around $600.00 to spend.
tony

Forget Craftsman. They were good 30 years ago but not today. Take a
look at General 50-185M1 at $649 or Powermatic.

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:33:06 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

Forget Craftsman. They were good 30 years ago but not today. Take a look
at General 50-185M1 at $649 or Powermatic.

Phish,

You really need to go take a look at the new Craftsman table saws.

-Doug
Bob

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:33:06 +0000, Phisherman wrote:

Forget Craftsman. They were good 30 years ago but not today. Take a

look
at General 50-185M1 at $649 or Powermatic.

Phish,

You really need to go take a look at the new Craftsman table saws.

OP mentioned something for $600. Is there something worthwhile in that
price range from Craftsman?

Bob

Doug Winterburn

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 23:02:33 +0000, Bob wrote:

Phish,

You really need to go take a look at the new Craftsman table saws.

OP mentioned something for $600. Is there something worthwhile in that
price range from Craftsman?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 922114000&subcat=Table+Saws

- Doug
Lee Gordon

The new saws at Sears are pretty decent. The true cabinet saw is closer to
$900 but the low end one is around $550 and I think it is worth the money.
The next model up is the same saw as the low end one except it has a fancier
miter gauge and fence and cast iron wings instead of stamped steel and will
set you back around $650.

Lee

robdingnagian1

tony1158 wrote:
Hi, I just bought a new Griz Cab. saw, 1023s, love it. Could check

there
cont. saws out.

I too have the 1023S and love it. However, it costs about 50% more than
the OP mentioned. Your suggestion about their other saws is a good one.
Their G0444 and G0444Z are very nice contractor's saws. They have
left-tilt models coming out in January. One thing to keep in mind is
that the G0444Z and presumably its left-tilt cousin draw 24 amps on
110v. Otherwise, his shop would need 220 (240). Another consideration
is their declared price increase in January. Get em now!

In the price range mentioned, I really like the new Craftsmans as well
as the Ridgid (Home Depot). It seems like a pretty solid
contractor/hybrid that has some type of built in dust management. Its
worth looking at. Plus, it comes with a herc-u-lift mobile base
included. They usually have some sort of gift card included.

I would stay away from Lowe's in-house brand Tradesman. (I think that
is the name)

I think that newer Deltas are overpriced and not as good as their name
implies. However, there are discussion threads regarding their newish
cabinet saw on sale at Rockler that looks pretty reasonable and decent.
Also, this Saturday, Woodcraft is discounting Delta and Porter-Cable
products 10%. The unisaw is still pretty nice, but pricey and not
necessarily space saving, depending on options.

Good luck finding your saw Tony. I'm on my third. I think that I will
have it for a long time to come. I'm still eyeing up others when they
appear though.

Eric

Lars S

If you decide to go with Craftsman and you can wait a month or two, you
may want to join the Craftsman club and also get a Sears credit card.
Each will have 10%-off sales, and on occasion the sale dates overlap.

Also, if you go for the high-end Bies saw, note that the 2004-2005
catalog price is $850 rather than $950. Request a Craftsman catalog
from Sears and take it in with you when you make your purchase. They
may honor the lower catalog price -- they did in my case. I am not
sure if the other saws have gone up in price, but it is probably
worthwhile to check the catalog in case it is lower.

Lars

Jeffrey Picciotto

I just bought one 2 days ago. They had a $190 off (the $950 price) on the
22124 model. They often have $50 off, but this was too good to pass up.
Patience can pay off.

--jeff

Lars S wrote in news:2004120711403916807%
larsstole@gsbuchicagoedu:

If you decide to go with Craftsman and you can wait a month or two, you
may want to join the Craftsman club and also get a Sears credit card.
Each will have 10%-off sales, and on occasion the sale dates overlap.

Also, if you go for the high-end Bies saw, note that the 2004-2005
catalog price is $850 rather than $950. Request a Craftsman catalog
from Sears and take it in with you when you make your purchase. They
may honor the lower catalog price -- they did in my case. I am not
sure if the other saws have gone up in price, but it is probably
worthwhile to check the catalog in case it is lower.

Lars

Lars Stole

At $760, this is an awesome price! Not sure what Sear's business plan
is on this one -- this must be close to their cost. Maybe they are
looking to get some market share and win back some of their
long-ago-good reputation.

The Biesemeyer fence alone probably has a wholesale cost near $250.

Lars