Sam Berlyn

Default Anyone built a boat?

Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Sam

WoodMangler

Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

I've been toying with the idea for quite some time, but haven't taken
the leap yet.
Big project.
You might try lurking in rec.boats.building for a bit.
KR & CA Hunter

Sam. I assume that you mean 7' (ie less than)

I built a Mirror sailing dingy as my first boat about two years ago from a
kit purchased here in Australia. This was an ideal starting project but it
is around 11' in length. There are many free downloadable plans for small
dingies, canoes etc if you want something smaller. Google what you think
you want, then spend a couple of weeks searching through the sites Google
will return.

Good luck.

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Sam

mark

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Ooops didn't see the size requirement. Maybe on of his little dingys, or a
cedarstrip canoe would work for you.

Lobby Dosser

WoodMangler wrote:

Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

I've been toying with the idea for quite some time, but haven't taken
the leap yet.
Big project.

One 8 foot by 3-4 foot bookcase.

You might try lurking in rec.boats.building for a bit.

Lewis

Yep -- several, actually. The first was an eight foot hydroplane I built
when I was about your age, or maybe even a year or two younger. Many of the
skills used in building boats out of wood are the same as building other
things out of wood. (Then there's stitch and glue, which is easy as can be,
but not like any other building method known to man.)
I'd suggest first deciding what kind/size of boat you want to build, then
look for plans or building ideas, then come back here if you have questions
about the techniques it will take to build it.
Lewis

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:10:58 -0500, Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

Lew Hodgett is building a little dinghy. Give him a holler.

* OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
* meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
* "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com

Dan Valleskey

store it?? aw shucks- always room for another boat. I have had boats
in the dining room. One was so long it stuck into the L.R., where one
night, we named it, christened it, than cleaned it.

That was before I was married- I always figured, if I could have
bikes in the living room, wet suits in the bedroom, climbing/ camping
gear in the study, than boats in the dining room should be fine.

I once lowered a 17 foot canoe into the basement, we had to stick the
tail end on the neighbors gutters to get the angle right to get it
down the stairs.

you can store a canoe or kayak about anywhere. I've seen them hanging
on the wall in an apartment, like a piece of art. Easiest place to
store one is to tie it to the shop ceiling. A paddling buddy of mine
just leaves his boat on his truck all year. Of course, it is not a
wood boat.

If you want one bad enough, if you want to built it bad enough, you'll
figure out where to keep it. I'm into double digits (under roof), but
I bet I could squeeze one more in if I had to. Than, there is always
the back yard. and the yard shed. oh wait, I have bikes in there
now-

-Dan V.
(who will be trying to sell canoes, kayaks and bikes in the Spring)

wrote:

Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

tillius

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

Yup. I've built a 16' pirogue, an 8' folding boat, and an 8' bolger
brick.

The Priogue was first, took two sheets of 1/4" luan plus glass tape
and resin. Cut, stitched, and glassed one weekend. Painted the second
weekend, in the water the 3rd weekend.

The folding boat was a disaster as I used the wrong kind of contact
cement to glue the rubberized canvas hinges and it failed in enough
places to destroy the plywood in other places. Put it aside and
decided to build the Bolger Brick.

The brick is by far my favorite, weighs less than the pirogue, I can
car top it myself. Takes a motor well. Was easy to build and is very
stable in the water for my kids.

8' long by 4' wide with 2' sides. google bolger brick and you'll see a
lot of info and plans.

It's small enough I lean it against the wall in the garage when I'm
not using it.

I did build a car-topping 'trailer' for it. basically a 2x4 ladder 14'
long, with handles on one end, fold up boat stops at the other, and 8"
lawn mower replacement wheels at that end. Put carpet along the 2x4's
to protect the bottom of the boat and the roof of the car.

I sit the boat on it, roll it up to the rear of the car, put then
handles on the roof as a fulcrum, and lift the other end as I slide it
on the roof.

When I get to the water, I take it off the roof with a reverse process
and wheel it right down the ramp till it floats off. Saves the back.

Good luck with it.
J T

Sat, Dec 4, 2004, 7:10pm (EST+5) (Sam=A0Berlyn)
waves and says:
Hi,
I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !
I would like to build one, any suggestions?

Now you knows what the archives is for.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...ges&ie=3DISO-=
8859-1&as_ugroup=3Drec.woodworking&as_uauthors=3Djakofa &=
lr=3D&num=3D30&hl=3Den

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

Art and Diane

I recently finished building a 20' 2 person Kayak and really enjoyed
it. Some of the Kayak kit suppliers also offered small boats that
looked like fun projects. I'm sure there are many out there, but
Chesapeake light craft had a few models. Try a search for "wooden boat
kits" or "wooden boat plans" depending on which way you want to go. I
found that if I had had to purchase the materials plus the plan, the
precut kits was about the same price.

Art Learmonth

Sam Berlyn wrote:

Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

Lobby Dosser

Art and Diane wrote:

Sam Berlyn wrote:

Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

Nutshell Pram - 7'7". Row it or sail it. Quick Google search will get some
drawings and pictures.

BD

wrote:

Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

http://www.bateau2.com/free/4dink.zip

Ok,
So I really did build this from these plans. Quite a kick in the
pants. It's a nice rowing little dinghy. After I first Built it, I
retrofitted it for sailing and made a nice little hollow mast for a
spritsail. It actually sails pretty well. Not much room, but pretty
fun for what it is.

Sincerely

BD
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Sam

I'm not sure what you mean by the 7' comment, but look up "one sheet
skiff" & Herb Mcleod (spelling?) for an easy & cheap small boat.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Evan

The link to the plans for the one sheet skiff can be found at
http://www.drillbitsplus.com/free_wo...ing_plans.html Its listed under
Rowboats - Simple Boat. The guy that wrote them up makes the read quite
amusing. I'm mulling over building one myself.

Evan
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:
In article ,
Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by

the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Sam

I'm not sure what you mean by the 7' comment, but look up "one sheet
skiff" & Herb Mcleod (spelling?) for an easy & cheap small boat.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Ron Magen

Sam,
If you are the 13-year old from a previous post {and I feel I'm correct} . .
.. a 7 or 8 foot boat is a good size to start with.

There are SEVERAL good designs that produce an 'ultra simple' to a 'fun'
boat, as well as act as a 'teaching tool'.

See if you can get a copy of 'Build the NEW Instant Boats' by Harold
{Dynamite} Payson. He is a proponent {as well as the prototype builder} of
the small boat designs of Phil Bolger. He also has a web-site,
www.instantboats.com .

'Tortoise' is about the simplest thing there is . . . yet a great number of
people have built her. Many have used this 'to ugly to steal' 6ft 5in craft
as a tender for larger boats. A step up from this is 'Nymph'. With ' . .
..shapely lines and a rounded hull. . .' this 7ft 9in 'mind boggler' gives a
'Cadillac ride'. For pure fun in a small package, there is the 7ft 3in 'Bee'
While she can be rowed, the real thrill {for someone of your stature -
rather then my 200+ pounds}will be with a small outboard !!

I would be happy to advise you SPECIFICALLY about 'Nymph' and 'Bee'. I have
built both, and written about the process in www.duckworksmagazine.com , for
which I also write a monthly column.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

Sam Berlyn wrote:
Hi,

I was going to build a small boat c. 6months ago, but was put off by

the
fact that I'd have to store it.. not many boats are 7' !

I would like to build one, any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Sam

J T

Tue, Dec 7, 2004, 9:12pm (EST+5) (Ron=A0Magen) says:
snip See if you can get a copy of 'Build the NEW Instant Boats' by
Harold {Dynamite} Payson. He is a proponent {as well as the prototype
builder} of the small boat designs of Phil Bolger. He also has a
web-site,
www.instantboats.com .
'Tortoise' is about the simplest thing there is . snip

Hehehe I'v got most of his books, and a number of Phil Bolger's.
But, I got all mine from my favorite used bookstore and think the most I
paid for any was about $8 US, low was about $4. Saw one out-of-print
book for sale at a site on-line for $85. And, I've got a copy. Wheeee.
Other Payson and Bolger out-of-print books were list at around $45 each.
I've got several of those too.

Not sure how well a new builder would fare, just working from the
book, but I would say the Tortise shouldn't give any real problem, and
would be a good learning experience. I've been thinking about making
one of those myself. My favorite tho is probably Madeline, would love
to put a small steam engine in one of those.

I love Bolger's designs.

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

Shop built slot mortiser Jim Martin Woodworking 14 December 4th 04 05:12 AM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
anyone built a pergola? need advice Preston Andreas Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 12:54 AM
removing built in wardrobes NC UK diy 4 August 11th 03 04:13 PM