bob

Default making plywood - messed it up

Ref: my July 16 post. Okay, I messed up pretty good. I got in a hurry last
week to make some white mahogany (aka "primavera") plywood to back a china
cabinet under construction. I did not go back and re-read the posts and
follow the good suggestions offered up by this forum. No, I just slapped
some white glue on my thin stock and backing board (cheap 1/4" ply), stuck
them together without crossing the grain and weighted them down with gas
cans, cement bags - anything lying around. Surprised me, but the end
product looked pretty good. A week later, the boards were cupped and the
thin stock had split. Ruined.

So, learn from my mistake.

This weekend, I'm going to follow the forum advice - use contact cement, a J
roller, and cross the grain. Hopefully, I will have better results.

Stupid. There's no other word to describe my actions last week.

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:53:02 -0600, "bob"
wrote:

Ref: my July 16 post. Okay, I messed up pretty good. I got in a hurry last
week to make some white mahogany (aka "primavera") plywood to back a china
cabinet under construction. I did not go back and re-read the posts and
follow the good suggestions offered up by this forum. No, I just slapped
some white glue on my thin stock and backing board (cheap 1/4" ply), stuck
them together without crossing the grain and weighted them down with gas
cans, cement bags - anything lying around. Surprised me, but the end
product looked pretty good. A week later, the boards were cupped and the
thin stock had split. Ruined.

So, learn from my mistake.

This weekend, I'm going to follow the forum advice - use contact cement, a J
roller, and cross the grain. Hopefully, I will have better results.

and do both sides.

Stupid. There's no other word to describe my actions last week.

Frank Ketchum

"bob" wrote in message
. ..
Ref: my July 16 post. Okay, I messed up pretty good. I got in a hurry
last week to make some white mahogany (aka "primavera") plywood to back a
china cabinet under construction. I did not go back and re-read the posts
and follow the good suggestions offered up by this forum. No, I just
slapped some white glue on my thin stock and backing board (cheap 1/4"
ply), stuck them together without crossing the grain and weighted them
down with gas cans, cement bags - anything lying around. Surprised me,
but the end product looked pretty good. A week later, the boards were
cupped and the thin stock had split. Ruined.

So, learn from my mistake.

This weekend, I'm going to follow the forum advice - use contact cement, a
J roller, and cross the grain. Hopefully, I will have better results.

I would suggest using MDF (1/2" or 3/4") instead of the cheap POS plywood
from the borg. It is much more stable. Check and see if you can buy on
ebay some veneer of your wood and attach it to the substrate. I would use
either regular wood glue and a roller and follow with even pressure until it
sets (a couple layers of plywood on top and bottom with weight on top). I
hear ebay is a great source for veneers. Be sure to veneer both sides to
prevent warping (or will you ignore advice again?

Frank

[...]

first rule of veneering. balance forces, or it's gonna warp. if not
right away, later, but usually right away.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
bob wrote:

[[.. munch ..]]

Stupid. There's no other word to describe my actions last week.

Sure there is. "Educational" wry grin

There's an old saying:
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

The 'good news' is that you _have_, apparently learned. After only one time.
This puts you ahead of a *lot* of the rest of the world.

mac davis

wrote:

Ref: my July 16 post. Okay, I messed up pretty good. I got in a hurry last
week to make some white mahogany (aka "primavera") plywood to back a china
cabinet under construction. I did not go back and re-read the posts and
follow the good suggestions offered up by this forum. No, I just slapped
some white glue on my thin stock and backing board (cheap 1/4" ply), stuck
them together without crossing the grain and weighted them down with gas
cans, cement bags - anything lying around. Surprised me, but the end
product looked pretty good. A week later, the boards were cupped and the
thin stock had split. Ruined.

So, learn from my mistake.

This weekend, I'm going to follow the forum advice - use contact cement, a J
roller, and cross the grain. Hopefully, I will have better results.

Stupid. There's no other word to describe my actions last week.

not stupid, just character building...
my wife says that's why I'm such a character..

On the brighter side, not only won't you make the same mistake again,
but you've made sure that a lot of folks here won't either..

"experience is the ability to recognize your mistakes when you repeat
them"

Brett A. Thomas

mac davis wrote:
"experience is the ability to recognize your mistakes when you repeat
them"

I'm partial to "experience is what you get when you don't get what you
want." Which allows you to say things like, "Well, that was great
experience..."

-BAT
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:22:38 -0800, "Brett A. Thomas"
wrote:

mac davis wrote:
"experience is the ability to recognize your mistakes when you repeat
them"

I'm partial to "experience is what you get when you don't get what you
want." Which allows you to say things like, "Well, that was great
experience..."

-BAT

one I heard today:

A smart person learns from his mistakes; a brilliant person learns from
other peoples' mistakes.

So, you helped make a bunch of other people into geniuses with your post.
:-)