Guy McGrane

Default circular saw blade parallell-ing

Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly
parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length
of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info? Thanks,

Guy

Bob

"Guy McGrane" wrote in message
Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly
parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length
of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info?

Thanks,

Most circular saws do not have such an adjustment. It sounds like the saw
has been dropped and something got bent. That's a pretty serious deviation
you have there. The only cure I know for that is to bend it back or see if
you can replace some parts. A Porter Cable repair shop may be able to fix
it for you.

Bob

"Guy McGrane" wrote in message
Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly
parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length
of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info?

Thanks,

Guy

That is bad. They don't come like that. How did it get that way?
Hammer on it and see if you can't get it to bend back the way it should be.

-j

Old Nick

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:35:34 -0500, Guy McGrane
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Daaammmm! I was hoping to hear about a saw that had an adjustable
foot! I had the same trouble and used the scientific, hammer,
approach.

Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly
parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length
of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info? Thanks,

Guy

Kent

I know of only one circ saw (a DeWalt model) that has an adjustment
for blade parallelism. On other saws, you either "adjust" with a
hammer, or make a sub-base and trim it parallel to the blade.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:48:11 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:35:34 -0500, Guy McGrane
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Daaammmm! I was hoping to hear about a saw that had an adjustable
foot! I had the same trouble and used the scientific, hammer,
approach.

I have one. as far as I know, the only one on the market, though I
wouldn't be surprised to hear that fein or festo saws did.

mine's a dewalt, and the foot adjustment was the reason I bought it.
it's an OK saw, but the foot adjustment is rendered pretty much
useless by the fact that the depth adjustment is WAAAY sloppy.
Bob

wrote in message

mine's a dewalt, and the foot adjustment was the reason I bought it.
it's an OK saw, but the foot adjustment is rendered pretty much
useless by the fact that the depth adjustment is WAAAY sloppy.

Is that a Dewalt 364? That's what I've got. I haven't noticed the depth
adjustment being sloppy at all. I haven't used it enough to wear through the
anodized base plate. I didn't even know it was anodized. I bought it for
the same reason you did. It sure cuts precisely and has plenty of oomph. I
haven't used the other Dewalt models or competing major brands like Porter
Cable. I graduated from a Sear craftsman. This saw was light years better.

Bob

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:58:54 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

mine's a dewalt, and the foot adjustment was the reason I bought it.
it's an OK saw, but the foot adjustment is rendered pretty much
useless by the fact that the depth adjustment is WAAAY sloppy.

Is that a Dewalt 364? That's what I've got. I haven't noticed the depth
adjustment being sloppy at all. I haven't used it enough to wear through the
anodized base plate. I didn't even know it was anodized. I bought it for
the same reason you did. It sure cuts precisely and has plenty of oomph. I
haven't used the other Dewalt models or competing major brands like Porter
Cable. I graduated from a Sear craftsman. This saw was light years better.

Bob

I'll check the model number.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
Old Nick wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:35:34 -0500, Guy McGrane
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Daaammmm! I was hoping to hear about a saw that had an adjustable
foot! I had the same trouble and used the scientific, hammer,
approach.

Would like to adjust my porter cable circular saw to make blade perfectly
parallel to the saw foot edge. Now it deviates about 3/16 inch over length
of the foot. Any ideas on how to do it or where to look for info? Thanks,

Guy

I have a DeWalt that has an adjustable shoe plate. I think the model
is DW364.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland