Eugene

charlie b wrote:

There was a tale told here several years ago -
a Tim The Tool Man type. Guy was given the
task of whipping the cream for the Thanks Giving
pumpkin pie. Guy figured his 28000 rpm router
would do the job MUCH QUICKER than a little
wimpy "mixer".

No football watching due to time spent getting
the whipped cream off
the kitchen cabinet doors,
the kitchen walls
the kitchen ceiling
and the clothes of the idiots who watched

charlie b

was probably a Walt Akers tale.

I tried to use my router to cut drywall once since it was handy. I had to
leave the windows open for two days in the middle of winter to let the dust
out.

philski

Default New Use for a Drill Motor

Last night I sat watching AFV (America's Funniest Videos) and saw
two...uh....men using a drill motor as a rotiserrie to turn two chickens
on the barbie. Only trouble was, they apparently didn't have a variable
speed drill. The chickens rotated very very fast. The guy doing the
basting just held a paint brush against the birds while the other idiot
tried pulsing the drill motor. Damn! BBQ sauce everywhere hey?

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

Philski

Roy Smith

In article ,
Eugene wrote:

I tried to use my router to cut drywall once since it was handy. I had to
leave the windows open for two days in the middle of winter to let the dust
out.

I've seen professional drywall crews do exactly that. They've got what
looks like a little trim router with a straight bit in it. They slap a
piece of drywall up over an electrical box, stab it with the bit and
zip-zip-zip trace the outline of the box. Presto, instant electrical
box hole, exactly the right size, in exactly the right place, in less
time than it takes to explain it.
Silvan

philski wrote:

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

Only problem with this idea is that when a drill is ready to retire, the
motor is completely shot anyway.

Somebody gave me a B&D benchtop bandsaw that was powered by a drill motor.
The switch wasn't working or something, so I investigated. Hoo boy, I've
never seen so much arcing! The brushes were shot, but more, they had eaten
huge ruts in the commutator, and had packed the ruts with conductive crud.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Greg Millen

"charlie b" wrote in message

charlie b

was probably a Walt Akers tale.

David Eisan made a post and entered into infamy on [April 1st] 2001.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wh...e.com&rnu m=1

The idea has been around as far back as Google can remember though.

--

Greg

Charlie Self

Roy Smith writes:

I've seen professional drywall crews do exactly that. They've got what
looks like a little trim router with a straight bit in it. They slap a
piece of drywall up over an electrical box, stab it with the bit and
zip-zip-zip trace the outline of the box. Presto, instant electrical
box hole, exactly the right size, in exactly the right place, in less
time than it takes to explain it.

Probably a Roto-Zip, a tool designed to do exactly that.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken
Ba r r y

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:57:57 -0700, philski
wrote:

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

There was an internet porn flick floating around where two women were
using a Ryobi reciprocating saw, with the blade replaced by a plastic
wiener. G

Barry
Joe

was probably a Walt Akers tale.
I tried to use my router to cut drywall once since it was handy. I had to
leave the windows open for two days in the middle of winter to let the

dust
out.

My wife tried to clean up our house last week as we did a lot of drywall
sanding, etc and it was on the floor. She grabbed my big wet vac and didn't
ask me. She failed to check the filter (which wasn't on at all) and went to
it... About 5 minutes later, she looked behind her and couldn't see the
otehr end of the house. It was blowing all the dst she was sucking up
directly behind her and away from her. EVERYTHING in our house has a sheet
rock dust coating. I'm on teh opposite end of the house right now and look
at my brand new DSL router... It has a coating on it.

Eventually, I gave her the extra long spare hose and let her blow the dust
outside.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:26:54 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Eugene wrote:

I tried to use my router to cut drywall once since it was handy. I had to
leave the windows open for two days in the middle of winter to let the dust
out.

I've seen professional drywall crews do exactly that. They've got what
looks like a little trim router with a straight bit in it. They slap a
piece of drywall up over an electrical box, stab it with the bit and
zip-zip-zip trace the outline of the box. Presto, instant electrical
box hole, exactly the right size, in exactly the right place, in less
time than it takes to explain it.

make sure you use a DOWN spiral bit....

GTO69RA4

Last night I sat watching AFV (America's Funniest Videos) and saw
two...uh....men using a drill motor as a rotiserrie to turn two chickens
on the barbie. Only trouble was, they apparently didn't have a variable
speed drill. The chickens rotated very very fast. The guy doing the
basting just held a paint brush against the birds while the other idiot
tried pulsing the drill motor. Damn! BBQ sauce everywhere hey?

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

Philski

I use a cordless drill all the time for mixing iced tea and other drinks. Chuck
up a mixer beater and let 'er rip. I've found the trick is to use those 1L
German beer steins.

GTO(John)
Dan Valleskey

wrote:

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

There was an internet porn flick floating around where two women were
using a Ryobi reciprocating saw, with the blade replaced by a plastic
wiener. G

variable speed, I hope.

-Dan

Eugene

philski wrote:

Last night I sat watching AFV (America's Funniest Videos) and saw
two...uh....men using a drill motor as a rotiserrie to turn two chickens
on the barbie. Only trouble was, they apparently didn't have a variable
speed drill. The chickens rotated very very fast. The guy doing the
basting just held a paint brush against the birds while the other idiot
tried pulsing the drill motor. Damn! BBQ sauce everywhere hey?

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

Philski

On a serious note myself. Before tossing that box of old 5.25" half and
full height MFM and RLL hard drives I pulled the top off of one and found
the spindle and head arm shaft have 1/4" bearings. After pulling apart the
rest I now have a couple dozen guide bearings for router bits.

RonB

A little more serious. Friends of ours pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. They were
setting up next to us in a campground this summer and he pulled out his old
Makita cordless drill motor and used it to operate the jacks. He told me
the shop wanted over $100 to repair the existing motor so he adapted a
back-up hand-crank end to fit the drill motor. Works great.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:52:39 +0000, Eugene
wrote:

On a serious note myself. Before tossing that box of old 5.25" half and
full height MFM and RLL hard drives I pulled the top off of one and found
the spindle and head arm shaft have 1/4" bearings. After pulling apart the
rest I now have a couple dozen guide bearings for router bits.

those are nice bearings. some kick ass magnets in there too...
mac davis

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:21:01 -0600, "RonB" wrote:

A little more serious. Friends of ours pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. They were
setting up next to us in a campground this summer and he pulled out his old
Makita cordless drill motor and used it to operate the jacks. He told me
the shop wanted over $100 to repair the existing motor so he adapted a
back-up hand-crank end to fit the drill motor. Works great.

I use my sears drill for that..
ours never were power, so you need to crank one in each corner..
1/2 cordless with a socket works great..
Silvan

mac davis wrote:

A little more serious. Friends of ours pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. They were

I use my sears drill for that..
ours never were power, so you need to crank one in each corner..
1/2 cordless with a socket works great..

I would have loved to have a motor the other day. I pulled a dumbass rookie
101 screwup. I backed under a loaded trailer, cranked up the dollies,
hooked up the lines, let go of the brakes, then pulled away. WHAM! I
didn't check the hitch.

It was 1:00 AM, and there was nobody around to help me crank. Have you ever
cranked a fully loaded 45' semitrailer back up high enough to get the
tractor under it?

I found out what the low gear is for on that crank. Urk. That sucked. We
don't even haul much weight. If that had been something heavier than
furniture, it probably would have sheared the feet right off, and then I
would have been in a world of trouble with the boss man.

Funny how you do something a long time (eight years) and that's when you
make stupid newbie mistakes, because you get too comfortable that you know
what you're doing.

There's a woodworking lesson in there somewhere too, I'm sure.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Norman D. Crow

"Silvan" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:

A little more serious. Friends of ours pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. They

were

I use my sears drill for that..
ours never were power, so you need to crank one in each corner..
1/2 cordless with a socket works great..

I would have loved to have a motor the other day. I pulled a dumbass

rookie
101 screwup. I backed under a loaded trailer, cranked up the dollies,
hooked up the lines, let go of the brakes, then pulled away. WHAM! I
didn't check the hitch.

It was 1:00 AM, and there was nobody around to help me crank. Have you

ever
cranked a fully loaded 45' semitrailer back up high enough to get the
tractor under it?

Yup! One time! Fortunately it was an empty. Dropping an empty @ the shipping
dock to be loaded. You develop a routine, but someone interrupted the
routine in the middle, wanted me inside for something, just when I would
have cranked dollies. Came back out, pulled the pin, got in, started to pull
away. Heard that odd "grating" noise & hit the brakes, just a microsecond
too late. Single axle Astro(before air ride suspension), and the front of
the trailer had already passed the center point on 5th wheel, *spit* the
tractor out from under trailer like shooting a watermelon seed by squeezing
it. Used several of the comments from JOAT's thread about ww'ing philosophy,
then shut up & saved my breath for cranking the dam dollies!

--
Nahmie

Bob Carpenter

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 03:07:22 -0500, Silvan wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

I've seen several trailers dropped that way. On two occasions the legs
went up through the bottom of the trailer. That one had to be unloaded by
hand - about 60,000 pounds of can goods.

The other was a tanker. When the legs sheared off the punctured the
bottom of the tank -- fortunately we didn't have to unload the 7,000 gal.
of #2 fuel by hand. :-(

No, I wasn't the driver of either one.

Bob
Silvan

Bob Carpenter wrote:

The other was a tanker. When the legs sheared off the punctured the
bottom of the tank -- fortunately we didn't have to unload the 7,000 gal.
of #2 fuel by hand. :-(

No, I wasn't the driver of either one.

Ugh. It cost us $14,000 to clean up a spill from where one of our trucks
lost a fuel tank strap. I shudder to think how much the cleanup from that
spill was. They probably had to dig up half whatever state that was in and
truck it off to be decontaminated.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Bob Carpenter

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 14:36:01 -0500, Silvan wrote:

Bob Carpenter wrote:

The other was a tanker. When the legs sheared off the punctured the
bottom of the tank -- fortunately we didn't have to unload the 7,000 gal.
of #2 fuel by hand. :-(

No, I wasn't the driver of either one.

Ugh. It cost us $14,000 to clean up a spill from where one of our trucks
lost a fuel tank strap. I shudder to think how much the cleanup from that
spill was. They probably had to dig up half whatever state that was in and
truck it off to be decontaminated.

It happened about 45 years ago. The reaction was, O-MY-GOD, we lost
7,000 gal. fuel!!! Oh well at least it'll keep the dust down (the spill
was in a sand pit). Nobody thought about the environment back then.

Now about 10-12 years ago one of my drivers ran over a broken spring on
I93 just north of Boston. He spilled about 15gal. of fuel and it cost us
$6,000 to dig up and dispose of 6 barrels of road-side dirt. They dug it
up, trucked it to upstate N.Y., and buried it. ??

BTW if you ever get up to N.E. let me know. Dinner is on me.

Bob

BTW New F***ing York is NOT N.E.!!!
mac davis

wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

the closest I ever came to that was getting off a forklift a little
too soon..
it hadn't stopped enough to set the brake and it kept going at about
walking speed... right off the end of the dock..lol

Norman D. Crow

"Bob Carpenter" wrote in message
news snipe
BTW New F***ing York is NOT N.E.!!!

You got THAT S**T right!!!!!!!

--
Nahmie

ToolMiser

I have a trailer story for you. I previously worked at one of those big box
stores, and one afternoon they delivered a trailer to be unloaded that night,
dropped it and took off. Well the unloading crew got to that trailer at about
midnight and found out the driver didn't back it all the way up to the dock.
He must have ran into something and didn't pay any attention, so he thought he
was against the dock and took off. He was ten feet from the dock. At that
time of the night, there was nobody locally they could call, so they had
someone drive down from the warehouse (two hrs drive) to back it up the last
ten feet. It made for a good laugh!
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
philski wrote:
Last night I sat watching AFV (America's Funniest Videos) and saw
two...uh....men using a drill motor as a rotiserrie to turn two chickens
on the barbie. Only trouble was, they apparently didn't have a variable
speed drill. The chickens rotated very very fast. The guy doing the
basting just held a paint brush against the birds while the other idiot
tried pulsing the drill motor. Damn! BBQ sauce everywhere hey?

So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors!
Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!

Philski

Yeah, that is funny. Anyone with experience would know that the proper
way to apply the BBQ sauce is with a HVLP spray system. Then, if the
drill speed is adjusted properly, as each piece of chicken cooks to
the proper point, it will become tender enough that it will be thrown
or "ejected" from the rotisserie. Wings first, then legs, etc. When
only the chicken carcass is left on the spit, bring out the lathe tools
and start shaving off that breast meat.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland