Mike S.

Default question about lacquer toughness

Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up about
a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several coats
over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really looked good
and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he scratched right
through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do something wrong? I
know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and you'd think it would be
tougher then that.
Thanks

--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

mark

"Mike S." wrote in message
om...
Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up
about a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several
coats over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really
looked good and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he
scratched right through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do
something wrong? I know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and
you'd think it would be tougher then that.
Thanks

--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

I can tell you that normal spray on lacquer is brittle, so not so tough, but
it's brittle because it's hard. Something must have been wrong with either
the lacquer or the application method.

Mike Marlow

"Mike S." wrote in message
om...
Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up

about
a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several coats
over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really looked

good
and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he scratched right
through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do something wrong?

know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and you'd think it would be
tougher then that.
Thanks

Lacquer is brittle - not tough.
--

-Mike-

MikeG

In article , n0y
says...
Between projects I pulled out the can of brush on lacquer I picked up about
a month ago. I brushed it on some scrap white oak and put on several coats
over a few days. I was showing it to a coworker since it really looked good
and he asked how tough it was, I wasn't sure. Anyway he scratched right
through it with his fingernail. Is this normal? did I do something wrong? I
know some places use this for kitchen cabinets and you'd think it would be
tougher then that.
Thanks

I don't know how long it was between application and scratching but
lacquer does take awhile to fully cure. As for using it on cabinets,
cabinet doors and sides do not normally get a lot of use that would
cause scratching. When they do get marred lacquer is easier to repair
then a varnish.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

David

Mike, the lac won't reach full hardness for many weeks. I did a scratch
test on some lac and was disappointed in the results. I scratched the
sample again a couple weeks later; still not great. Now, more than 2
months later, that sample is damn hard to scratch with a fingernail.
But it still isn't the must durable finish you can apply. C-V will beat
easily beat lacquer if you are spraying a table top and need the utmost
in scratch resistance.

David