BErney1014

Default griz bandsaw 0513 or 0514

I want a BS to resaw and perform regular service. Any opinions on either model
would help.
Thanks
Tyke

I have the 0513. I am very happy with this machine. It was an upgrade of
my G1148 (15 in). I would make the upgrade again.

I have used this often, but so far have not had to resaw. I have expect
this will resaw well if using a decent blade.

I am presently using the as-purchased Grizzly blade, but would upgrade to
another mfg for resawing, such as Timberwolf or Highland hardware.

Dave Paine.

"BErney1014" wrote in message
I want a BS to resaw and perform regular service. Any opinions on either

model
would help.
Thanks

Jaimesummer

(BErney1014) wrote in message ...
I want a BS to resaw and perform regular service. Any opinions on either model
would help.
Thanks

I have the 19 inch model and am happy with it, but it is my first
bandsaw. At the time (about 2 years now?) they had it on sale for
$900 instead of $950 so the larger table seemed like a good idea. Got
a 3 TPI timberwolf blade (and some others) for resawing green wood and
it worked great, until the blade went off and wouldn't cut a damn
thing anymore. I learned that these blades basically get tossed and
not re-sharpened. I also cut some bark with it which is a no-no. The
blade that came with it was not up to the timberwolf quality. Just
last week got some of the Highland Hardware resaw blades (wood
slicers, 1/2 3-4 TPI). I am making some bracelets for christmas,
glued up a bunch of 1/4 to 1/2 inch woods, rotate 90 degrees and slice
into thin slabs, stack them up after rotation and glue them back
together, then lathe. Well I just can't believe how smooth and easy
it was to slice these up (I know its a cut but it did seem like a
slice!). I did use a drum sander (homemade using a shopsmith) to
smooth them a little and drop the thickness 0.01 or so before gluing.
I guess $200 is alot for just a larger table so the 17 incher should
be identitical in performance as far as I can tell, the manual is
shared between the two so I assume they have very similar parts and
motor. Dust collection works great using the two ports.
jaime