Default RO sander - VS or not?

The PC 5" RO sander (333) can be had w/ variable speed or without.
The $ difference is $15.

Is VS worth it? or would one 90% of the time be running at full speed
anyway?
C & S

Is VS worth it? or would one 90% of the time be running at full speed
anyway?

Yes though not a must-have, and yes, more like 98%.

Phisherman

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:48:54 GMT, TWS wrote:

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:19:44 -0700,
wrote:

The PC 5" RO sander (333) can be had w/ variable speed or without.
The $ difference is $15.

Is VS worth it? or would one 90% of the time be running at full speed
anyway?

This discussion is interesting because I've had two PC 333 (not VS)
for a couple of years and I never thought about variable speed until
this discussion.

Yesterday I was doing some hand sanding on a small piece where the
grain direction was along the short and curved dimension. I thought
that a ROS would leave a more uniform finish and realized I could use
my router speed control on the ROS. I tried it on my test piece and
it worked like a champ. Very easy to control and a much better finish
than sanding across the grain (and easier than sanding with the
grain).

I'm now sold on using a speed control with the sander but doubt that I
will ever buy a sander with VS - the external speed control worked
fine.

TWS

Sounds like a great tip. I wonder, though, how AC motors can operate
on a speed control. My lathe is variable speed, but it has a 240v. DC
motor.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:40:21 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'm now sold on using a speed control with the sander but doubt that I
will ever buy a sander with VS - the external speed control worked
fine.

TWS

Sounds like a great tip. I wonder, though, how AC motors can operate
on a speed control. My lathe is variable speed, but it has a 240v. DC
motor.

generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a
speed controller.

so routers, drills and most handheld power tools work fine.

washing machine motors and most stationary tools don't.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:58:41 -0800, "Brett A. Thomas"

generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a
speed controller.

so routers, drills and most handheld power tools work fine.

washing machine motors and most stationary tools don't.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine why someone would need to run a
wachine machine at a slower speed than normal...

-BAT

well, uh, see... I have some very delicate clothes and.... um...

Bridger
(who has seen plenty of bench grinders powered with
old washing machine motors)