Sam Berlyn

Default Most economical use of space

Hi,

I have adopted the 7x2' area at the bottom of my garage as my "workshop".

I have a cabinet, with a slide open top which stores my tools. Below the
slide open top is a cupboard with doors (1 shelf) and I have got goggles,
dust masks and sandpaper etc. in there.
To the left, is my workmate, folded up parrallel to the cabinet.
Behind the cabinet is an old table (fold up) which I lay all my wood on.

I would like to know if this is the most economical use of space.

I will try to put a picture of the "workshop" on in the next week.

Cheers,

Sam

Greg

I always seem to run out of space too. I made up a worktop from an old kitchen
counter that I store against the wall. Sometimes I will just plop in on my
table saw or if I am still sawing I put it on some saw horses. You can always
use some extra work space.
patrick conroy

"Sam Berlyn" wrote in message

I have adopted the 7x2' area at the bottom of my garage as my "workshop".

Shouldn't you be using meters?

I would like to know if this is the most economical use of space.

Having the wood in there is probably a liability. It's not something I try
to keep in my shop space. But just go ahead and work in the space for
awhile. Things that don't seem right will appear over time. Then try
rearranging some things.

I think it would be pretty difficult to forecast the "most efficient" use of
the space until you've been in it for a while.

Seems like "most efficient" would be a function of what the current
task is.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:59:12 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

I think it would be pretty difficult to forecast the "most efficient" use of
the space until you've been in it for a while.

mac davis

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:52:59 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"
wrote:

Hi,

I have adopted the 7x2' area at the bottom of my garage as my "workshop".

I have a cabinet, with a slide open top which stores my tools. Below the
slide open top is a cupboard with doors (1 shelf) and I have got goggles,
dust masks and sandpaper etc. in there.
To the left, is my workmate, folded up parrallel to the cabinet.
Behind the cabinet is an old table (fold up) which I lay all my wood on.

I would like to know if this is the most economical use of space.

I will try to put a picture of the "workshop" on in the next week.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam.. you will find that no matter how much space you have, it's never
quite enough *g*

Efficient is defined by what works for you in the space that you
have... and the only way that I've found to do this is rearrange
things and then do a project..
You find out real fast, during a project, that where you put things
will or won't work, but just looking at the shop and taking a few
practice reaches and steps really doesn't tell you how the space
"works" for you..

You're in a VERY small area... I'm guessing that you have more than 2'
width, or that you're a very skinny guy..lol

As far as organizing, I've been through piles, boxes and shelves and
am now in the process of building drawers for anything that will fit
in them.. easy to find, less dust and don't take up a lot of space..